• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anoyed to have missed all this.

My Dad and I were moaning about Broad on our way to Wembley, had no idea he was taking a stack of wickets at that very moment.

BeeGee

International Captain
With hindsight the game was possibly decided not by what happened today but by the Root-Trott partnership yesterday.
It was defining, match winning moment of the game.

Broad and Anderson bowled superbly, as did Southee, but my MOTM would have been Root.

Jezroy

State Captain
Gonna have a love fest here.

I know we haven't won anything yet, but after what happened to us in South Africa and all the Taylor/McHesson rubbish that was swirling around, plus the fact that NZC stated they would be focusing on ODI cricket, I am so stoked at how we have performed over the last 4 tests.

Yes, our batting can be dire. Yes, we need a spinner who is better than Kane. Yes, we may still lose this test. But I'm really impressed by the way this team has turned around. We had an "NZ Doom and Gloom" thread not that long ago. It hasn't really needed to be used in recent times.

Good on youse fellas.
Take it back - Doom and Gloom thread back up and running I see.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is there any other bowler in history like Broad? One minute he is Martin McCague and the next he is Curtley Ambrose. Needs to turn it on more often but when he gets it right he is deadly.
The guy is a complete dunce!

He averages 30-odd in test cricket because he still hasn't worked out that "pitch up = good. Short = bad."

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The guy is a complete dunce!

He averages 30-odd in test cricket because he still hasn't worked out that "pitch up = good. Short = bad."
Meh, I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, sometimes bowlers just get their length wrong because they're not bowling well, not because they think a different length would be better. Broad got a big bag at Lords last year, just floating up full deliveries. I doubt he really thinks that bowling everything short is the way to go.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Went to bed when we finished up England's 2nd innings feeling ever so slightly hopeful.

WTF happened?:crybaby:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Meh, I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, sometimes bowlers just get their length wrong because they're not bowling well, not because they think a different length would be better. Broad got a big bag at Lords last year, just floating up full deliveries. I doubt he really thinks that bowling everything short is the way to go.
Pitching it up takes confidence. If you don't think you can consistently swing the ball then you quickly start pulling your length back. Would suggest this is what happened with Broad.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Pitching it up takes confidence. If you don't think you can consistently swing the ball then you quickly start pulling your length back. Would suggest this is what happened with Broad.
A perfect length is hard to achieve, even for test match bowlers. Quite often a bowler will be bowling a yard or two too short, and when trying to get it fuller, will just bowl a half volley. Often when you're not bowling well, it's really hard to not just bowl slightly too short or really full. Even on Friday, Broad got smacked a couple of times over pitching to Taylor. I'll wager he just wasn't bowling that well, as apposed to thinking that back of a length was the way to go.

FBU

International Debutant
I don't think there is much difference between the two teams. New Zealand batsmen have to be less aggressive and England's less timid. I expect Vettori will play at Headingley. Maybe Ronchi as well.