Page 7 of 293 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: ***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Yep he was given the hard word on fitness, 13.45 into the Hesson interview below.

http://content.radionetwork.co.nz/we...port/61830.mp3 (starts 8.30 in)
    http://content.radionetwork.co.nz/we...port/61845.mp3

Bloody Siddons and his 'self-esteem first' laissez-faire coaching no doubt. Leaves Hesscum to roll into Wellington like Ben Kingsley, recruiting numerous Ray Winstones for one last job.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

U19 Debutant
    Thanks for that link Kippax, good to see that Hesson is still deluded

"Brendon is certaintly our number one keeper"

Brendon is adequate back from the stumps but standing up he has gone backwards real fast as he is just not keeping enough. From everything Ive heard about Ronchi's glovework you would be mad not to have him keeping.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Luke Ronchi 129 runs @ 25. Ah yes, get that man in the team.
    Let's not forget that Ronchi opening for Wellington was an experiment demanded by NZC. The fact that the experiment failed and it still hasn't deterred NZC from selecting Ronchi in that capacity is the strange point.

We do have a tendency with batsman to give them every opportunity to fail, rather than playing them in a more ideal position. I suspect we'll soon be able to add Ronchi to that rather sad looking list.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    Nuffy Ellis in the squad but no Matt Henry (easily the best limited overs bowler in the country this season), what a crock of ****. Watling missing out is pretty harsh.

Franklin
    Elliott
    Ellis

God we need some all rounders, these guys are the weakest spot in our team (although Franko there isn't to bad).
    Don't mind the selection of Elliott.He's always been good value in ODI cricket.

I'd prefer to see someone like Neesham persevered with though ahead of Ellis. Not saying that Ellis is a bad player, he's just no better than Neesham and Neesham is about 10 years younger.

Quote Originally Posted by African Monkey View Post
    Don't mind the selection of Elliott.He's always been good value in ODI cricket.

I'd prefer to see someone like Neesham persevered with though ahead of Ellis. Not saying that Ellis is a bad player, he's just no better than Neesham and Neesham is about 10 years younger.
    Both of these points I agree with.

Elliot (especially batting) is a player of good contrast to have at around 5 in our order. Bowling, I would hope he doesn't have to do much of that.

Neesham I feel is already better than Ellis in someways, and I feel can improve greatly. Bin A.Ellis thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Let's not forget that Ronchi opening for Wellington was an experiment demanded by NZC. .
    Was wondering whose idea that was.

Wish it was John Wright and Ross Taylor's idea...

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I'm surprised Anderson didn't get a call up to the ODIs considering he made the warm up match in Queenstown look like one and we love selecting the new flavour. Is he fit to bowl?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'm surprised Anderson didn't get a call up to the ODIs considering he made the warm up match in Queenstown look like one and we love selecting the new flavour. Is he fit to bowl?
    Didn't bowl in his last two List A games - Corey Anderson | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

In fact, hasn't done a lot of bowling in his domestic career whatsoever.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post

Elliot (especially batting) is a player of good contrast to have at around 5 in our order. Bowling, I would hope he doesn't have to do much of that.
    I once played in this club game where our opening bowler was looking threatening but couldn't break through and we needed another two wickets. Rather than persisting with the opening bowler the captain who was fielding at first slip put on the guy who was fielding at second slip to bowl. As the new bowler started to walk to take the ball he turned to the captain and said "and just put it on a length nothing fancy" and then nodded his head knowingly at the skip. It became obvious to all of us that the second slip had talked his way into bowling by giving some theory or another on what we needed to get the breakthrough. Needless to say he bowled like crap and we lost the game.

Where am I going with this?
    I was watching the Champions Trophy final some years ago and baz was captain. And in a surprise move he brought on Elliot to bowl. On his way to his run up Elliot turned to baz and the stump mics caught him say and I'll just put it back of a length - and then he did that thing which bowlers do where he flicked his wrist to show he would seam it. I was reminded of my club game and I had the impression Grant had talked his way into bowling. Needless to say the outcome was identical and baz looked disgusted and let down when Elliot bowled one for 5 wides. Moral of the story captains shouldn't bowl losers at bowling even if they talk a good game.
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post
    Aaaaaaaah - they have the Duke in the Windies.
    Dukes claiming successful trials in Australia now, which is interesting. Our answer to getting more wickets out of Southee and Boult south of Hamilton could be Kookaburra losing its own turf.

Dukes Cricket Balls in Australia | Cricket Australia Approval

Thu 28 March, 2013
    We've added to our Dukes range!

There was significant media coverage when Cricket Australia made the announcement in late 2012 that they would approve and trial Dukes cricket balls in the Futures League and National underage championships. Feedback from these trials has been positive so far and there is now a possibility they will be used in the Big Bash next season.

Although not what was reported in the media, much of Cricket Australias decision to endorse Dukes is based around reducing the costs for cricket clubs at a grass-roots level. With Dukes you are getting a proven quality ball with over 250 years history in the game, at cheaper prices than other competitors.

Now that Cricket Australia has approved the Dukes, many local cricket associations will be following in their footsteps. Approval for cricket clubs to use the Dukes ball will commence once cricket associations change their competition rules to include them.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I once played in this club game where our opening bowler was looking threatening but couldn't break through and we needed another two wickets. Rather than persisting with the opening bowler the captain who was fielding at first slip put on the guy who was fielding at second slip to bowl. As the new bowler started to walk to take the ball he turned to the captain and said "and just put it on a length nothing fancy" and then nodded his head knowingly at the skip. It became obvious to all of us that the second slip had talked his way into bowling by giving some theory or another on what we needed to get the breakthrough. Needless to say he bowled like crap and we lost the game.

Where am I going with this?
    I was watching the Champions Trophy final some years ago and baz was captain. And in a surprise move he brought on Elliot to bowl. On his way to his run up Elliot turned to baz and the stump mics caught him say and I'll just put it back of a length - and then he did that thing which bowlers do where he flicked his wrist to show he would seam it. I was reminded of my club game and I had the impression Grant had talked his way into bowling. Needless to say the outcome was identical and baz looked disgusted and let down when Elliot bowled one for 5 wides. Moral of the story captains shouldn't bowl losers at bowling even if they talk a good game.
    That's not completely fair on Elliott. He's played some good hands with the ball. Particularly on our last tour to England.

Not a frontliner but he's in the Scotty Styris mould.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    That's not completely fair on Elliott. He's played some good hands with the ball. Particularly on our last tour to England.

indeed = loser is a bit harsh. In that instance it was apt however if he had talked himself up.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Let's not forget that Ronchi opening for Wellington was an experiment demanded by NZC. The fact that the experiment failed and it still hasn't deterred NZC from selecting Ronchi in that capacity is the strange point.

We do have a tendency with batsman to give them every opportunity to fail, rather than playing them in a more ideal position. I suspect we'll soon be able to add Ronchi to that rather sad looking list.
    Reminds me of 8-10 years ago England seemed determined to try every wicketkeeper in the country - including Chris 'duck' Read iirc - to become a Gilchristian opener.

Similar thought processes at work?
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Reminds me of 8-10 years ago England seemed determined to try every wicketkeeper in the country - including Chris 'duck' Read iirc - to become a Gilchristian opener.
    Errr, this only ended about two and a half months ago.

My belief is that Styris is a much better LO bowler than Elliot.

Page 7 of 293 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread Information