• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Fmd, i guess this is Hesson's revenge for being bagged on CW. :@

With both opener being poor starters prone to being overly aggressive, Kane and Ross are going to have a lot of pressure on them.

Mike5181

International Captain
Don't mind Ronchi ----> opener in ODIs. Although it's strange to see him absent from the test squad when you could easily justify his spot with his Plunket Shield performances.

Days of Grace

International Captain
After being 10/2 after 20 overs in the ODI series against England, perhaps Hesson was looking for some AGGRESSION up at the top.

Flem274*

123/5
The ODI squad isn't terrible, they just weren't very brave when selecting it. CW hates Ellis but if you remove yourself from the CW sphere, Ellis hasn't really done anything to either cement his place or deserve being dropped. He often ends up batting at eight and bowling five overs of okayness.

Same goes for Munro, who has actually had a little bit of success in the two ODIs he's played with 50 against SA.

Franklin was a good allrounder for a while before England.

I think they're all not up to much as well, but they haven't performed like CW would like to think they have.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The selectors must be confident Gillespie is bowling well again.
He'd hoped that kind of form might translate into selection for the current test series against England, but when his chance came for the New Zealand XI the 33-year-old had little in the tank.

"I was absolutely shattered when I went to Queenstown and I obviously didn't do myself any favours. I made them aware that I was cooked, they still wanted me to play and you've got to do what you're asked, I suppose," Gillespie said.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Luke Ronchi 129 runs @ 25. Ah yes, get that man in the team.

As for Franklin, Ellis, Munro and McCullum, fmd. What a group of jokesters that lot is. A group of 20/40 players.
Ronchi is good enough so don't have a problem with him. The rest I agree with, though.

****ing Munro, Will NZ softball sign him up already.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Thanks for that link Kippax, good to see that Hesson is still deluded

"Brendon is certaintly our number one keeper"

Brendon is adequate back from the stumps but standing up he has gone backwards real fast as he is just not keeping enough. From everything Ive heard about Ronchi's glovework you would be mad not to have him keeping.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Luke Ronchi 129 runs @ 25. Ah yes, get that man in the team.
Let's not forget that Ronchi opening for Wellington was an experiment demanded by NZC. The fact that the experiment failed and it still hasn't deterred NZC from selecting Ronchi in that capacity is the strange point.

We do have a tendency with batsman to give them every opportunity to fail, rather than playing them in a more ideal position. I suspect we'll soon be able to add Ronchi to that rather sad looking list.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Nuffy Ellis in the squad but no Matt Henry (easily the best limited overs bowler in the country this season), what a crock of ****. Watling missing out is pretty harsh.

Franklin
Elliott
Ellis

God we need some all rounders, these guys are the weakest spot in our team (although Franko there isn't to bad).
Don't mind the selection of Elliott.He's always been good value in ODI cricket.

I'd prefer to see someone like Neesham persevered with though ahead of Ellis. Not saying that Ellis is a bad player, he's just no better than Neesham and Neesham is about 10 years younger.

Jezroy

State Captain
Don't mind the selection of Elliott.He's always been good value in ODI cricket.

I'd prefer to see someone like Neesham persevered with though ahead of Ellis. Not saying that Ellis is a bad player, he's just no better than Neesham and Neesham is about 10 years younger.
Both of these points I agree with.

Elliot (especially batting) is a player of good contrast to have at around 5 in our order. Bowling, I would hope he doesn't have to do much of that.

Neesham I feel is already better than Ellis in someways, and I feel can improve greatly. Bin A.Ellis thanks.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm surprised Anderson didn't get a call up to the ODIs considering he made the warm up match in Queenstown look like one and we love selecting the new flavour. Is he fit to bowl?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Elliot (especially batting) is a player of good contrast to have at around 5 in our order. Bowling, I would hope he doesn't have to do much of that.
I once played in this club game where our opening bowler was looking threatening but couldn't break through and we needed another two wickets. Rather than persisting with the opening bowler the captain who was fielding at first slip put on the guy who was fielding at second slip to bowl. As the new bowler started to walk to take the ball he turned to the captain and said "and just put it on a length nothing fancy" and then nodded his head knowingly at the skip. It became obvious to all of us that the second slip had talked his way into bowling by giving some theory or another on what we needed to get the breakthrough. Needless to say he bowled like crap and we lost the game.

Where am I going with this?
I was watching the Champions Trophy final some years ago and baz was captain. And in a surprise move he brought on Elliot to bowl. On his way to his run up Elliot turned to baz and the stump mics caught him say and I'll just put it back of a length - and then he did that thing which bowlers do where he flicked his wrist to show he would seam it. I was reminded of my club game and I had the impression Grant had talked his way into bowling. Needless to say the outcome was identical and baz looked disgusted and let down when Elliot bowled one for 5 wides. Moral of the story captains shouldn't bowl losers at bowling even if they talk a good game.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Aaaaaaaah - they have the Duke in the Windies.
Dukes claiming successful trials in Australia now, which is interesting. Our answer to getting more wickets out of Southee and Boult south of Hamilton could be Kookaburra losing its own turf.

Dukes Cricket Balls in Australia | Cricket Australia Approval

Thu 28 March, 2013
We've added to our Dukes range!

There was significant media coverage when Cricket Australia made the announcement in late 2012 that they would approve and trial Dukes cricket balls in the Futures League and National underage championships. Feedback from these trials has been positive so far and there is now a possibility they will be used in the Big Bash next season.

Although not what was reported in the media, much of Cricket Australias decision to endorse Dukes is based around reducing the costs for cricket clubs at a grass-roots level. With Dukes you are getting a proven quality ball with over 250 years history in the game, at cheaper prices than other competitors.

Now that Cricket Australia has approved the Dukes, many local cricket associations will be following in their footsteps. Approval for cricket clubs to use the Dukes ball will commence once cricket associations change their competition rules to include them.