Cricket Player Manager
Page 41 of 293 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: ***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakey View Post
    Also regarding speed...

The NZ bowlers were barely getting it above 83mph. What gives? Bowling within themselves? Boult was regularly hitting 140 in NZ.
    They might have bowled to the conditions.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    When are people going to actually realise that Southee and Boult are also swing bowlers, not just blokes who lob the ball up and hope the wind catches it? I don't understand why it's so surprising that swing bowlers are getting swing in swinging conditions.

Of course Anderson will get it to swing if he pitches it up and has decent seam position.
    I didn't say they weren't swing bowlers. I said they were, but that Jimmy was much better at it. Understand?

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I was wondering about that. I've seen them do it before. When the ball loses its shine they tended to bowl faster. Perhaps in England with a ball that swings for longer they decided not to increase their speed.

Sounds plausible yes?

I think it's just a slower pitch than the Auckland one, which, although flat actually had reasonable bounce and carry.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Not sure I agree with the criticisms of the run rate. Firstly, 2 runs per over isn't an issue. This is Test cricket. I am sure England back themselves to bowl NZ out twice and believe that the most likely way to lose this Test would be to get rolled over first innings and gift wickets. They obviously wanted to make NZ graft for their wickets. 300 on here will be a decent score. Secondly, the out field was exceptionally slow and players didn't get full value for their shots. Also, is is a track the was easy to set a field to. Hard to get it through the infield.

Basically, I don't have an issue with 2 runs an over and this was worth more than 2 runs an over anyway.

The game is set up nicely. The morning session on day two could decide this Test.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    When are people going to actually realise that Southee and Boult are also swing bowlers, not just blokes who lob the ball up and hope the wind catches it? I don't understand why it's so surprising that swing bowlers are getting swing in swinging conditions.

Of course Anderson will get it to swing if he pitches it up and has decent seam position.
    Because Southee and Boult are from New Zealand and therefore are not very good.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

"Neither of them will have an international cricket acareer past 2016."
    Brocky on Martin Guptill and Ish Sodhi. 20/11/2014.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakey View Post
    Also regarding speed...

The NZ bowlers were barely getting it above 83mph. What gives? Bowling within themselves? Boult was regularly hitting 140 in NZ.
    Our home speed guns are rigged to cater to our fetish for bowlers to bowl 140, so I wouldn't pay attention to them. Boult and Southee can hit those speeds, but they're both in the 130s the majority of the time.
    Exit pursuing a beer

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Our home speed guns are rigged to cater to our fetish for bowlers to bowl 140, so I wouldn't pay attention to them. Boult and Southee can hit those speeds, but they're both in the 130s the majority of the time.
    Um, your basing this on what exactly? Boult's pace in the home series was entirely consistent with what we've seen of him elsewhere imo.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 16-05-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Boult's pace seem to vary a lot from what I saw - he bowled a couple of balls above 85 mph but also many below 80

Wagner and Southee's speeds seemed to be more uniform at late 70s

If that is slower than usual, reckon you can also take into account the heavy outfield as that generally takes something away from the bowlers' runups

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Um, your basing this on what exactly? Boult's pace in the home series was entirely consistent with what we've seen of him elsewhere imo.
    I can't find a detailed record of bowler speeds but in general our home radars seem to kick things up a few kph for both sides. Not really verifiable though because no-one keeps track of these things.

also this

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Boult's pace seem to vary a lot from what I saw - he bowled a couple of balls above 85 mph but also many below 80

Wagner and Southee's speeds seemed to be more uniform at late 70s

If that is slower than usual, reckon you can also take into account the heavy outfield as that generally takes something away from the bowlers' runups
    It's strange, because according to Cricinfo's Hawkeye app, Tim Southee's average pace was above 84 mph, which seems way to quick based on my recall of his speeds. I didn't see his first spell though, so maybe that influenced it.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Combination of pitch being slow and overhead conditions doing enough all day meant that bowlers didn't need to ramp it up. Never trust the speed guns that much anyway.

Trott summed it up quite nicely on the news. Good effort from both sides, high quality cricket.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    HAts off to our bowlers. If that trott catch had not swung in the air we might have done even better.

I was fascinated by that Southee over in the first session. Sometimes I think he should bowl a whole over of cutters just to mess with the batsman.

We have had this discussion before about whether he rolls his fingers on the cutter or just bowls it cross seam - but it seemed like he was rolling his fingers last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Not sure I agree with the criticisms of the run rate. Firstly, 2 runs per over isn't an issue. This is Test cricket. I am sure England back themselves to bowl NZ out twice and believe that the most likely way to lose this Test would be to get rolled over first innings and gift wickets. They obviously wanted to make NZ graft for their wickets. 300 on here will be a decent score. Secondly, the out field was exceptionally slow and players didn't get full value for their shots. Also, is is a track the was easy to set a field to. Hard to get it through the infield.

Basically, I don't have an issue with 2 runs an over and this was worth more than 2 runs an over anyway.

The game is set up nicely. The morning session on day two could decide this Test.
    It has been quite interesting to see the different views in the press about the run rate. Personally I don't have a problem with the way in which they played the quicks but they really should be doing more against Martin. Even with the slow pitch and outfield, scoring 1 and half runs an over off him is unacceptable.

I defend Bell more often that not but I think his scoring rate was the biggest issue yesterday and it is not the first time in the last year that he has been too slow. I don't expect him to be going along at great pace but Bell is a much better player when he is playing with a certain amount of freedom, we saw Trott score at pretty much his normal pace so it's not like it was impossible.

Thread Information