• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
When are people going to actually realise that Southee and Boult are also swing bowlers, not just blokes who lob the ball up and hope the wind catches it? I don't understand why it's so surprising that swing bowlers are getting swing in swinging conditions.

Of course Anderson will get it to swing if he pitches it up and has decent seam position.
I didn't say they weren't swing bowlers. I said they were, but that Jimmy was much better at it. Understand?

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
They might have bowled to the conditions.
I was wondering about that. I've seen them do it before. When the ball loses its shine they tended to bowl faster. Perhaps in England with a ball that swings for longer they decided not to increase their speed.

Sounds plausible yes?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's just a slower pitch than the Auckland one, which, although flat actually had reasonable bounce and carry.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure I agree with the criticisms of the run rate. Firstly, 2 runs per over isn't an issue. This is Test cricket. I am sure England back themselves to bowl NZ out twice and believe that the most likely way to lose this Test would be to get rolled over first innings and gift wickets. They obviously wanted to make NZ graft for their wickets. 300 on here will be a decent score. Secondly, the out field was exceptionally slow and players didn't get full value for their shots. Also, is is a track the was easy to set a field to. Hard to get it through the infield.

Basically, I don't have an issue with 2 runs an over and this was worth more than 2 runs an over anyway.

The game is set up nicely. The morning session on day two could decide this Test.

Days of Grace

International Captain
When are people going to actually realise that Southee and Boult are also swing bowlers, not just blokes who lob the ball up and hope the wind catches it? I don't understand why it's so surprising that swing bowlers are getting swing in swinging conditions.

Of course Anderson will get it to swing if he pitches it up and has decent seam position.
Because Southee and Boult are from New Zealand and therefore are not very good.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Also regarding speed...

The NZ bowlers were barely getting it above 83mph. What gives? Bowling within themselves? Boult was regularly hitting 140 in NZ.
Our home speed guns are rigged to cater to our fetish for bowlers to bowl 140, so I wouldn't pay attention to them. Boult and Southee can hit those speeds, but they're both in the 130s the majority of the time.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Our home speed guns are rigged to cater to our fetish for bowlers to bowl 140, so I wouldn't pay attention to them. Boult and Southee can hit those speeds, but they're both in the 130s the majority of the time.
Um, your basing this on what exactly? Boult's pace in the home series was entirely consistent with what we've seen of him elsewhere imo.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Boult's pace seem to vary a lot from what I saw - he bowled a couple of balls above 85 mph but also many below 80

Wagner and Southee's speeds seemed to be more uniform at late 70s

If that is slower than usual, reckon you can also take into account the heavy outfield as that generally takes something away from the bowlers' runups

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Um, your basing this on what exactly? Boult's pace in the home series was entirely consistent with what we've seen of him elsewhere imo.
I can't find a detailed record of bowler speeds but in general our home radars seem to kick things up a few kph for both sides. Not really verifiable though because no-one keeps track of these things.

also this

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Boult's pace seem to vary a lot from what I saw - he bowled a couple of balls above 85 mph but also many below 80

Wagner and Southee's speeds seemed to be more uniform at late 70s

If that is slower than usual, reckon you can also take into account the heavy outfield as that generally takes something away from the bowlers' runups
It's strange, because according to Cricinfo's Hawkeye app, Tim Southee's average pace was above 84 mph, which seems way to quick based on my recall of his speeds. I didn't see his first spell though, so maybe that influenced it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
HAts off to our bowlers. If that trott catch had not swung in the air we might have done even better.

I was fascinated by that Southee over in the first session. Sometimes I think he should bowl a whole over of cutters just to mess with the batsman.

We have had this discussion before about whether he rolls his fingers on the cutter or just bowls it cross seam - but it seemed like he was rolling his fingers last night.

Pothas

Not sure I agree with the criticisms of the run rate. Firstly, 2 runs per over isn't an issue. This is Test cricket. I am sure England back themselves to bowl NZ out twice and believe that the most likely way to lose this Test would be to get rolled over first innings and gift wickets. They obviously wanted to make NZ graft for their wickets. 300 on here will be a decent score. Secondly, the out field was exceptionally slow and players didn't get full value for their shots. Also, is is a track the was easy to set a field to. Hard to get it through the infield.

Basically, I don't have an issue with 2 runs an over and this was worth more than 2 runs an over anyway.

The game is set up nicely. The morning session on day two could decide this Test.
It has been quite interesting to see the different views in the press about the run rate. Personally I don't have a problem with the way in which they played the quicks but they really should be doing more against Martin. Even with the slow pitch and outfield, scoring 1 and half runs an over off him is unacceptable.

I defend Bell more often that not but I think his scoring rate was the biggest issue yesterday and it is not the first time in the last year that he has been too slow. I don't expect him to be going along at great pace but Bell is a much better player when he is playing with a certain amount of freedom, we saw Trott score at pretty much his normal pace so it's not like it was impossible.

Scaly piscine

It has been quite interesting to see the different views in the press about the run rate. Personally I don't have a problem with the way in which they played the quicks but they really should be doing more against Martin. Even with the slow pitch and outfield, scoring 1 and half runs an over off him is unacceptable.

I defend Bell more often that not but I think his scoring rate was the biggest issue yesterday and it is not the first time in the last year that he has been too slow. I don't expect him to be going along at great pace but Bell is a much better player when he is playing with a certain amount of freedom, we saw Trott score at pretty much his normal pace so it's not like it was impossible.
Yea Martin bowled so many full tosses and got away with the vast majority. It was ridiculous.

Don't know what it is with Bell, once he goes into his shell that's it.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Can anyone else listen to TMS online today - I can't seem to get it to play?

Please save me from the adverts on RadioSport...

Later - Seemed to fire up at start of play.... phew, settles in for the session....

Last edited: