• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
War of attrition today. Not the most exciting days play but enthralling.
yes i;ve bin joking about the day been boring as **** but i've only really been following on cricinfo so hpoefully no-one is taking any of my comments too seriously.

Personally I've thought ever since Compton came into the team the composition of the order was wrong. It just invites pressure as it is and without KP they seem unable to break free.

And as I'm writing this a wicket/. There is just a lack of conviction there at present. You bat this slow and it keeps the opposition in the match. Lose two wickets now with the new ball we're 170-6 on a good wicket

As an aside, have any of the sky commentators been complaining about the wicket as they were every match in NZ? Sounds a flat slow one to me.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Err how about putting away a rank ****ing full toss once in a while, just for variety?

One and a half an over and he bowls a rank pie every other over.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
As an aside, have any of the sky commentators been complaining about the wicket as they were every match in NZ? Sounds a flat slow one to me.
Haha, yeah. Reckon the pitches in both the 2nd and 3rd tests had way more life in them than this one. Of course in this case, it's all down to the weather, as opposed to New Zealand's insidious strategy to pursue 3 bore draws back in March.

Last edited:

social

I don't think the pitch is lifeless - just a slowish pitch with a little bit in it for the bowlers

Can see someone like Anderson doing well if he puts it in the right place

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, yeah. Reckon the pitches in both the 2nd and 3rd tests had way more life in them than this one. Of course in this case, it's all down to the weather, as opposed to New Zealand's insidious strategy to pursue 3 bore draws back in March.
The difference here is that the ball has really swung. That's got little to nothing to do with the pitch - essentially it's down to the ball and the atmospheric conditions - but it's made it a much better contest to watch than the Tests in New Zealand for mine.

It wouldn't say it's "all down to the weather" here though, because the pitch has been very similar for every Lords Test in the last five years (at least). Lords is a great cricket ground but you get a crap pitch every time, unfortunately.

Last edited:

social

yes i;ve bin joking about the day been boring as **** but i've only really been following on cricinfo so hpoefully no-one is taking any of my comments too seriously.

Personally I've thought ever since Compton came into the team the composition of the order was wrong. It just invites pressure as it is and without KP they seem unable to break free.

And as I'm writing this a wicket/. There is just a lack of conviction there at present. You bat this slow and it keeps the opposition in the match. Lose two wickets now with the new ball we're 170-6 on a good wicket

England's top 3 would certainly benefit from having at least one stroke-player amongst them

Question is whether one exists

As I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised to see Compton's place come under threat later in the summer as his current "method" places virtually all the pressure on the guy at the other end to keep the score moving whilst also allowing the opposition bowlers to work on batsmen for extended periods of time as the strike isn't being rotated nearly enough

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
England's top 3 would certainly benefit from having at least one stroke-player amongst them

Question is whether one exists

As I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised to see Compton's place come under threat later in the summer as his current "method" places virtually all the pressure on the guy at the other end to keep the score moving whilst also allowing the opposition bowlers to work on batsmen for extended periods of time as the strike isn't being rotated nearly enough
I think a lot will depend on how Bairstow goes in this series against New Zealand. Pietersen will presumably come back in for Bairstow for the Ashes but Root is an opener batting 5/6 so if Bairstow actually does something in this series and Compton struggles then Root could go up to open and Bairstow could keep his place.

Backing Compton to come good though personally.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think a lot will depend on how Bairstow goes in this series against New Zealand. Pietersen will presumably come back in for Bairstow for the Ashes but Root is an opener batting 5/6 so if Bairstow actually does something in this series and Compton struggles then Root could go up to open and Bairstow could keep his place.

Backing Compton to come good though personally.
Compton will start the ashes series, whether he finishes it is up for debate but i'd be amazed if he didn't start the series AND tour Australia. Root will end up as the opening partner to Cook long term but it may be another year till he moves there, I hope it is as that means that Compton has done well and he is a likeable fellow having done the hard yards in county cricket with the spotlight on him due to his name.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly, I thought Compton was pretty good against some high class swing bowling early on. I will be pleased if Fulton can manage to equal his innings because I think they both have about the same ability.

Southee bowled well without much reward. Boult was excellent, as he has been pretty much since his debut. Wagner with the added fluke and Martin to milk those batsmen.

I didn't watch all of it but I'd say England did well to get where they are now

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
What was pleasing about this day from NZ's perspective is that even though they didn't get an early wicket they stuck to the plan and kept pitching it up and trying to take wickets. And yes, I do think the praise for McCullum keeping a third slip in is quite justified - although any other decent captain would have done the same thing with that run rate.

Bairstow doesn't stand a chance against Southee and Boult with the new ball, it will be quite funny to watch I think.

Root is quality though.

Last edited:

social

Honestly, I thought Compton was pretty good against some high class swing bowling early on. I will be pleased if Fulton can manage to equal his innings because I think they both have about the same ability.

Southee bowled well without much reward. Boult was excellent, as he has been pretty much since his debut. Wagner with the added fluke and Martin to milk those batsmen.

I didn't watch all of it but I'd say England did well to get where they are now
Compton definitely holds an edge in the technical department and I wouldn't be surprised to see Fulton really struggle on this tour against the Duke ball

Having said that, he seems to know his game now so might surprise

Burgey

Can Adders enlighten us on how the great Ian Bell went last night?

Fmd sounds a slow old day. Saw the first session but then Trott was in at lunch so like most reasonable people I fell asleep.

flibbertyjibber

Can Adders enlighten us on how the great Ian Bell went last night?

Fmd sounds a slow old day. Saw the first session but then Trott was in at lunch so like most reasonable people I fell asleep.
Only one who looked at ease was Root. Understandable given his form coming into the game. Not sure if it is the pitch or NZ being far better than they are given credit for, time will tell once we bowl.