Page 201 of 293 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 4384
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: ***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    England batted an hour too long. And Cook was batting with Trott, he could have told him to up his rate. He obviously wasn't fussed.

Its not that big a deal, but the fact people are refusing to admit that Cook clearly batted too long here is a little odd. They were never going to lose, and a test match is a test match. Its particularly surprising this coming from England fans, who value test cricket so highly.
    It's also a little surprising that they're not fussed about the extra points from winning 2-0 instead of 1-0, if the rankings mean anything at all to them.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    It's also a little surprising that they're not fussed about the extra points from winning 2-0 instead of 1-0, if the rankings mean anything at all to them.
    SA are so far ahead that 1-0 or 2-0 means very little at present. We'll win both ashes series anyway and might close up then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    England batted an hour too long. And Cook was batting with Trott, he could have told him to up his rate. He obviously wasn't fussed.

Its not that big a deal, but the fact people are refusing to admit that Cook clearly batted too long here is a little odd. They were never going to lose, and a test match is a test match. Its particularly surprising this coming from England fans, who value test cricket so highly.
    I've said I got annoyed about not going for the win. But the way some people have been extrapolating that decision into insults and armchair psychiatrics has been nuts.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Back on now. Bracewell missed that by quite a way. Davis has had a poor game.

Not going to last long here are we? Be off in 5 minutes.

Has Jimmeh picked up a knock?

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Its gonna be 9 down, the rain is really coming.

10-fer at Headingley. Superb individual match effort from Swanny, however this ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I've said I got annoyed about not going for the win. But the way some people have been extrapolating that decision into insults and armchair psychiatrics has been nuts.
    Indeed, I just hope we wrap it up, and everyone can shut up. No chance of that I realise, but it's getting ****ing tedious.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Finn not threatening those three wooden things sticking out of the ground that over.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

What I find interesting is that some of the people who have been very critical of Cook's declaration timing here are the same people who would've applauded Smith's declaration here under the logic of "there's no difference between 2-0 and 1-0." The overall series result is either infinitely more important than the scoreline or it's not; it's not a theory that should change depending on whether it backs up what you want to see as a spectator or not. If there was no difference between 2-0 and 1-0 there then the same logic applies here.

I agree with Howe a bit in that there's an overwhelming discontent among armchair fans about any captaincy decision that isn't aggressive or ballsy. Fans look for any excuse to go for the win, probably because it's more exciting and/or domineering, but they apply completely inconsistent logic to their arguments regarding it.

More than anything though I actually agree with Goughy. England should've gone for the win here but once they didn't enforce the follow on, the pace they batted and the length of time they batted on were completely consistent with that decision. With an uncertain forecast, if you're pushing for a win you should always enforce the follow on as there's then absolutely no risk of batting too long or not batting long enough. You automatically stop batting at the precise moment you've batted long enough if you chase in the second innings - because you've won the game. If England decided to really press for a win after batting again then it'd make little sense as they'd have to declare with a lead that could be hauled in should the weather hold up, just on the chance that it didn't hold up. The best and easiest way to take the weather and the declaration timing out of the game was to just bowl again. If they couldn't get the runs in time after that then so be it.

There was actually a much greater chance of losing by batting again and pressing for a win than there was by enforcing the follow on and pressing for a win, so once they batted again their intentions were clear.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 28-05-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    What I find interesting is that some of the people who have been very critical of Cook's declaration timing here are the same people who would've applauded Smith's declaration here under the logic of "there's no difference between 2-0 and 1-0." The overall series series is either infinitely more important than the scoreline or it's not; it's not a theory that should change depending on whether it backs up what you want to see as a spectator or not. If there was no difference between 2-0 and 1-0 there then the same logic applies here.

I agree with Howe a bit in that there's an overwhelming discontent among armchair fans about any captaincy decision that isn't aggressive or ballsy. Fans look for any excuse to go for the win, probably because it's more exciting and/or domineering, but they apply completely inconsistent logic to their arguments regarding it.

More than anything though I actually agree with Goughy. England should've gone for the win here but once they didn't enforce the follow on, the pace they batted and the length of time they batted on were completely consistent with that decision. With an uncertain forecast, if you're pushing for a win you should always enforce the follow on as there's then absolutely no risk of batting too long or not batting long enough. You automatically stop batting at the precise moment you've batted long enough if you chase in the second innings - because you've won the game. If England decided to really press for a win after batting again then it'd make little sense as they'd have to declare with a lead that could be hauled in should the weather hold up, just on the chance that it didn't hold up. The best and easiest way to take the weather and the declaration timing out of the game was to just bowl again. If they couldn't get the runs in time after that then so be it.

There was actually a much greater chance of losing by batting again and pressing for a win than there was by enforcing the follow on and pressing for a win, so once they batted again their intentions were clear.
    There we have the crux of the matter

Need these two to change ends really.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    This is tense. Both teams can tell its about to rain. Aim for the stumps Finn!

Yeah way too many wasted deliveries.

If the batsmen aren't going to run, switch the bowlers round so that Swann gets a go at Wagner. And I'd take Finn off now, he's had enough chances with the number 10. Jimmy time.

Thread Information