• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

thierry henry

International Coach
This is not a criticism, but how bizarre is it that a bloke picked because he's fast and aggressive actually bowls (effectively) at a speed slower than Scott Styris in his pomp?

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm probably doing Styris a disservice, he could fly over now and bowl faster than Mitch off 4 paces. Yet everything that happens after Mitch releases looks like the work of a fast bowler, other than the reading on the radar. It's the darndest thing.

thierry henry

International Coach
The boy looks like he's trying too, and the batsmen are struggling with him. Kid is bowling slow medium. I can't emphasise enough how weird Mitch's speeds are.

BeeGee

International Captain
I'm probably doing Styris a disservice, he could fly over now and bowl faster than Mitch off 4 paces. Yet everything that happens after Mitch releases looks like the work of a fast bowler, other than the reading on the radar. It's the darndest thing.
It could be deliberate. He may have much better control over his line and length at this pace.

Speed is massively overrated, imo.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
so depressing watchin cook play that **** against mcClenaghan. Jeez just walk down the wicket and smash it. I bowl quicker than that ****.

I've moaned the whole last two years about teh England ODI team but 2 be fair to them they've been very good in that time. To paraphrase McCullum they've earnt the right to try this current approach during this tournament. I just don't think it's gonna win them big tournaments when the opposition is actually bothered. Hopefully they either fail during the champions trophy and change or prove me wrong and actually win this tournament.

thierry henry

International Coach
It could be deliberate. He may have much better control over his line and length at this pace.

Speed is massively overrated, imo.
Of course speed is overrated

Nevertheless, not many quick bowlers need to bowl at Paul Collingwood speed to maximise their effectiveness.

thierry henry

International Coach
On a related note, the speeds of NZ bowlers are always at their lowest in England, dating back to the 2004 tour....maybe they're switching the radars to mess with us

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I remember hearing people say that the Dukes were arse as white balls.

But then I have a faint memory of Dukes being used in the 1999 World Cup, as a reason why a few of the more dashing openers struggled in the tournament. Or is this me screwing things up, and it was really only the conditions that caused this?

Flem274*

123/5
On a related note, the speeds of NZ bowlers are always at their lowest in England, dating back to the 2004 tour....maybe they're switching the radars to mess with us
McClenaghan said in the papers yesterday he is down on pace at the moment.

On the topic of pace, Woakes speeds have surprised me. Down here he was slower than Southee, but in England he has 5mph on him. Must be a quirk of one of the radars, remembering of course that ours are hardly paragons of virtue when it comes to accurate speeds.