• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@Flem - Baz tried to be Sehwag for a while with mixed success. I think Viru was an exception to the rule and you can't expect many peeps to be able to bat like that.

Guptil deserves to succeed in tests - just reckon his defensive game needs some work rather than his attacking mindset.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
More seriously, I think he thinks almost too much about his defensive technique in the whites and it has led to him shelving most of his shots. He is trying to be the "proper", John Wright-esque opener everyone keeps demanding him to be but he has been putting the cart before the horse for years and now he appears a hesitant wreck at the crease in test cricket. He would benefit from developing an impregnable forward defense, flexing his front knee more, looking for singles and bringing back his scoring options. He put away the back foot shots a few years ago because he couldn't control them but he plays a lovely controlled pull these days and batsmen with defensive techniques which are works in progress need plenty of scoring options.

H
Watching his two centuries IMO it looks that guptill has already changed his technique since he had the thumb operation, he is not playing the straight drive nearly as much, instead he is working the ball more through mid wicket more, which has lead to an improvement in his ability to get ones and twos, and not get bogged down which has often been his unraveling in both forms of the game.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's not just Guptill's defensive technique that's shoddy.

It's his complete inability to read length.

You can't just drive through the line to good length deliveries to bowlers who are taller than 6 foot, bowl faster than 130kp/h, and get the slightest hint of movement in either direction.

You have to play the ball later.

Guptill has never shown that ability. He's always playing out in front of himself.

He will never be test quality if he continues to do this.

It has nothing to do with aggression or anything like that. I know Sehwag's eyes and hands are championed as the reason's for his success, but he also had a pretty decent technique - he modeled himself on Tendulkar FFS.

thierry henry

International Coach
Before the op Bres was barely over 80 at best/top speed so he has some pace back. He was never an 88mph guy anyway apart from the odd delivery which I always thought the gun may have got wrong anyway. He looks better than before the op anyway.
Funnily enough Dernbach, Woakes and Bresnan were all much the same speed. Dernbach perhaps a shade more consistent with the 85mph+ stuff, but all 3 were maxing out at 86-87.

Lack of pace is definitely not Woakes' problem. Just not that good.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I know Sehwag's eyes and hands are championed as the reason's for his success, but he also had a pretty decent technique - he modeled himself on Tendulkar FFS.
Haha its one of the best forgotten facts. Back in 2002 Sehwag was known as the "clone" of Tendulkar. They are seen as polar opposites now, quite funny.

Probably a testament to Sehwag that he jumped out of Tendulkar's shadow and made his own reputation in the game.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have read the whole Trott debate. i think both sides of the argument had valid points. However, once Trott realised that no one else was going to do the job he had to push for the win himself and if he finished up with a SR of 100 and faced 100 balls then perhaps he didn't do this enough.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
yet no one is disrepecting his speed like peeps do with franko.
Probably because he's going ok. If he wasn't performing and didn't hit 80mph, then there might be criticism of his speed.

Franklin must be so frustrating for NZ supporters - looks like he could be class (well, he was class pre-injury), but keeps bowling **** balls at 75mph to complement the odd brilliant delivery.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Probably because he's going ok. If he wasn't performing and didn't hit 80mph, then there might be criticism of his speed.

Franklin must be so frustrating for NZ supporters - looks like he could be class (well, he was class pre-injury), but keeps bowling **** balls at 75mph to complement the odd brilliant delivery.
I think I meant batsman on the opposition team;'s dissing him not fans. Peeps are basically running down the wicket and slogging franko. Or at least they were in the 1st game.

Flem274*

123/5

I think most have given up and accepted he will always be a terrible part timer post injury and a prank batsman.

He could have been Chris Cairns but due to knee injuries, poor batting technique and a tendency to drop his head his talent will never be realised.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I have read the whole Trott debate. i think both sides of the argument had valid points. However, once Trott realised that no one else was going to do the job he had to push for the win himself and if he finished up with a SR of 100 and faced 100 balls then perhaps he didn't do this enough.
Have to agree with this. When you're batting with a stroke maker then you can use the anchor excuse but towards the end he was just putting all the pressure on the other batsman to slog from ball one. The established bat needs to take the reigns.