• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
They should give Munro a crack in the next game! :wub:

They won't though. :( They'll give Franklin all the game time as he is their first choice.
Hesson said on friday morning that they were looking at playing all 16 players accross the 3 games.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
"Another W successfully iced, third in the last year. NZ fans and journalists, claiming Mitch is the new Shane Bond? Lol, 'F'. You're even closer to the Zimbang of your field, admit it."

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
What a player Guptil would be in test matches if the opposition had no slips or gully.

Finn and Broad can't comeback quick enough. Woakes is about as hittable as they come and would struggle not to go for more than 100 on a road. No point in bowling him unless he is given the new ball. No reason why Dirtbag should get it considering he uses the new ball to bowl slower ball full tosses. Truly awful.

GGG

State Captain
Didn't watch the game but anyone know why Elliot didn't bowl? Surely he is not in the team as a batsman only.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England's love of Rankin, is puzzling. Don't see it myself.

Would like to have seen Jordan called up, force him over the Windies issue.

Hate Dirtbag obvs, but I also have never felt Woakes is an International bowler. Give other people some goes. Mind yo, bit late before the Champions Trophy now.

Having said all this, should be said, as Cook did, it was the batting performance that let us down most. Very much old school England, people slowly getting themselves in, then when they should be upping the run-rate, getting out.

If the bowlers had a competitive total they may have been less awful, Swann and Jimmeh excepted.

Days of Grace

International Captain
McCullum, Williamson, Guptill all averaged sub-30 in that period :sick:

Franklin's average benefits massively from that Indian series in late 2010 just making it into the 'last 3 years'

Even if you take it out, he would still be one of our best batsmen, ffs.

But, no, he is a useless **** and get him out of the team!

Days of Grace

International Captain
McCullum, Williamson, Guptill all averaged sub-30 in that period :sick:

Franklin's average benefits massively from that Indian series in late 2010 just making it into the 'last 3 years'
And Guptill's average massively benefits from last night which just makes it into the last 3 years. But we all like him, so that's alright.

Flem274*

123/5
Has steve hacked your account?

@ DoG: Franklin is an okay ODI finisher provided the ball is in his half, but him playing as the 5th bowler is what makes me dubious. He's the weak link there.

The advantage someone like Anderson or Neesham have over Franklin is they are both genuine allrounders, so if they can make it at the highest level they will provide more.

Days of Grace

International Captain
@ DoG: Franklin is an okay ODI finisher provided the ball is in his half, but him playing as the 5th bowler is what makes me dubious. He's the weak link there.

Yes, I am not disputing that his role as a bowler will often do more harm than good to the team's chances. Needs to bowl those change-up slower balls a lot more in order to be somewhat less hittable.

So, basically, we have:

Guptill
another opener/wicketkeeper
Williamson
Taylor
Elliott/another middle order player, preferably one who can bowl a few non-pies
McCullum, who can also be the keeper
A big-hitting finisher, who can also bowl at least five overs of non-pies
NcCullum/Vettori
Southee
Mills
Mitch

I expect/hope Ryder to come in for either Ronchi or Elliott later this year. Which one he replaces may be totally up to whether McCullum can still keep.

I was thinking that, as good as Vettori is as a bowler, we would lose out a little in the death batting and lose a lot in the fielding if he played ahead of NcCullum. Having both Vettori and Mills in the same limited overs team is very risky.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
And Guptill's average massively benefits from last night which just makes it into the last 3 years. But we all like him, so that's alright.
It does strengthen the arguement that his quality in ODIs has been overstated for quite some time. Let's hope this innings leads to a few more big innings against the stronger teams.

Has steve hacked your account?

The advantage someone like Anderson or Neesham have over Franklin is they are both genuine allrounders, so if they can make it at the highest level they will provide more.
In the past I've pushed for a new face, like Neesham, for that batting allrounder role that plays down the order, but for the moment I don't mind Franklin there. As you said, his main strength at the moment is his ability to finish off games, and that's a pretty important skill for us to have considering how brittle/unreliable or batsmen have been in the past. That should really be our primary focus at the moment. His bowling isn't great but Williamson's there as well. With those two occupying the 5th/6th bowlers behind what is, in my opinion, our strongest ODI bowling attack in quite some time, Kyle Mills/Tim Southee/Mitchell McClenaghan we should be ok in that area of the game. The bigger question is, who drops out for Vettori when he comes back? Straight swap for N Mac?

I expect/hope Ryder to come in for either Ronchi or Elliott later this year. Which one he replaces may be totally up to whether McCullum can still keep.

I was thinking that, as good as Vettori is as a bowler, we would lose out a little in the death batting and lose a lot in the fielding if he played ahead of NcCullum. Having both Vettori and Mills in the same limited overs team is very risky.
Wouldn't forget BJ Watling either. Possibly a bit unlucky not to be in the squad anyway.

Like the forum upgrade btw.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Ryder not at all jazzed about a middle-order position putting focus on his abandonment of 'the percentages' for the world to jeer at again, from what I could gather. "I'd like to possibly open", "shorter forms, take it or leave it", something like that wasn't it.