• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well, they may be slightly lower down the pecking order, but right now there are chances for those lower down to stake a claim. Finn was hardly inspirational in New Zealand, something which can be said for nearly all of his tests in the last two years, and Bresnan is only just returning from surgery. Tremlett hasn't made any real impression for Surrey yet this season, and will have to perform for a while before England can be confident he can replicate his 2011 success.

Personally I wouldn't be looking at giving either Bresnan or Tremlett game time for England yet. Let them do their work in the Championship for at least another month or two, Bresnan can come out for the Champions Trophy, and then see how they've been performing before the Trent Bridge squad is named. I wasn't particularly impressed with Finn in New Zealand, and for the reasons I mentioned in the domestic thread, I think Onions should get a go instead of him for the New Zealand series.
I wouldn't argue with Onions playing. A skilled bowler who is half a yard quicker of most bowlers of his ilk were a generation ago.

stumpski

International Captain
Lions 175-1, chance of a good lead if the weather allows.

You guys all still want Boult in your team?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Think i read somewhere that the England test squad is named tomorrow rather than the normal sunday.

number 6 batsman- Bairstow or Taylor. Likely to be Bairstow but I'd go with Ravi personally - just for the lols

Then the third seamer's spot. One of Onions, Finn, Bresnan, Woakes and Tremlett you'd imagine with possibly 2 or 3 in the squad.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Given Root wasn't even that prolific in division two last year, and still had the winter he had, it's a really good sign that this season he's churned out 100's against Durham, Derbyshire and now a near full strength New Zealand attack. I mean, if he could get international runs off the back of an average county season, think what he could do off the back of a big scoring one.

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Think i read somewhere that the England test squad is named tomorrow rather than the normal sunday.

number 6 batsman- Bairstow or Taylor. Likely to be Bairstow but I'd go with Ravi personally - just for the lols

Then the third seamer's spot. One of Onions, Finn, Bresnan, Woakes and Tremlett you'd imagine with possibly 2 or 3 in the squad.
You and many others would go with Ravi just for the Scaly post about it.

stumpski

International Captain

Tremlett is nowhere near selection atm surely. I think Onions has earned a chance but I imagine they'll either go with Finn (continuity) or Bresnan (strengthen batting, although Swann returning in place of Panesar means there's less need to stiffen the tail).

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I would go with Onions but am almost certain it will be Finn.

Bresnan will play the first test of the ashes though.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Given Root wasn't even that prolific in division two last year, and still had the winter he had, it's a really good sign that this season he's churned out 100's against Durham, Derbyshire and now a near full strength New Zealand attack. I mean, if he could get international runs off the back of an average county season, think what he could do off the back of a big scoring one.
Yes good signs. Bound to fail epically now in these tests though, such is life.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Boult will be fine.

Always thought Root looked good in NZ. Certainly more competent against the moving ball than someone like Compton or Bairstow.