• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I did, but I think he had more shots than Trott. I don't even understand what he thought he was doing today. Batting again is fine but only if you bat with intent. Only reason we got anywhere near three an over was Cook.

Boycott and Barrington were both dropped for slow scoring; in a way it's a pity that doesn't happen any more. Compton I could understand, he needed time in the middle. I just hope Flower isn't in there now telling Trott he's done a good job.
This

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Trott has pretty much the full array of shots, actually.

Just deploys them over-sparingly.

He's just more or less eliminated risk from his game. Poor man's Kallis indeed.

BeeGee

International Captain
You can make arguments and justify not enforcing a follow up but they are usually flawed. Bowl em out, knock em off and put your feet up. Good teams don't fear outlandish, freak happenings. England will win this Test but with rain around the follow on should be enforced.
This. It's beyond me why this isn't obvious to everyone.

Let me ask a simple question. Which option do you think NZ would have most wanted? To be forced to follow on or not?

The answer to that question is obvious.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think England looked at the bigger picture and thought enforcing the follow on wasn't a good idea at the start of such a huge summer. The series is won and the result of this match if it gets ruined by the weather on day 5 isn't the be all and end all of the year. The fact that Boult broke down so early in the England 2nd innings shows they may have done the right thing in letting the bowlers put their feet up for a day.

Whether we agree and think it was a good decision is up for debate but I guess we need to revisit this at the end of the summer and if we have won the ashes will we care if the NZ series was 1-0 or 2-0?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
This. It's beyond me why this isn't obvious to everyone.

Let me ask a simple question. Which option do you think NZ would have most wanted? To be forced to follow on or not?

The answer to that question is obvious.
Let me ask you a question. Were you critical of England's choice at the toss? As NZ wanted to bowl first, should England have bowled when they won the toss?

Just because NZ would have preferred todo one thing or another doesn't mean that it wouldn't be the most benificial thing for England to do the exact opposite.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yorkshire CCC website with the misleading post title of the week: "TICKETS FROM A FIVER FOR BANK HOLIDAY"

It then goes on to explain that some junior tickets are £5 but everyone else pays £30.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Trott has pretty much the full array of shots, actually.

Just deploys them over-sparingly.

He's just more or less eliminated risk from his game. Poor man's Kallis indeed.
Didnt see his knock last night, but genrally think he's exactly what England needs tbh. He's a good foil for Pietersen when the latter is in and going. Adds a lot of resolve with the way he bats.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ugh, not a great scoreline to wake up to, although obviously not entirely unexpected.

But gosh darn, isn't it great to have Guptill back to add starch to that middle order! Bringing a player who has a noted inability to score runs against spin in to bat at number 6 - what a stroke of genius! It was totally worth sacrificing McCullum's fitness to get him back in the side, especially given that we've only got obviously inferior batsmen like Ronchi on standby!

Glad to hear that Boult only has a sidestrain. Probably better for him, figures wise, as New Zealand's seamers were only ever going to get a pounding after being let down like that.

Also, well done to Swann. England look a completely different side in batsman friendly conditions when he's in the team.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He'd need to have played for another ten years with the way he got injured.
He also would've had to have played a heck of a lot of games to get there. He only went at 2.9 wickets per match, so would've had to have played 140 matches at the rate he was going at if he was to get there.

Meridio

International Regular
Finally caught some highlights; my god, Guptill and Brownlie's dismissals were just woeful. Nice deliveries, sure, but ****ing atrocious batting. We're going to lose this test by plenty, and given that we should have won the home series and were well in the game at Lord's, a 0-2 loss over five tests is a really poor result.

So ****ing frustrating being a fan of NZ cricket. One step forward, two steps back

Flem274*

123/5
cbf getting wound up. theres no point because the batsmen arent going to repay the faith on a consistent basis any time soon. it's been almost ten years since we had a decent batting line up.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
cbf getting wound up.
awta

Yes Swann makes a huge difference to England; that ball to Brownlie was beautiful in the way it drifted away very late before spinning back. Agree no batsman should be leaving that large a gap between bat and pad, but I still love seeing someone castled like that. You do start to get suspicious when a batsman (Brownlie, happened in first test too) continually gets balls that appear unplayable - how much that's down to the actual delivery and how much to the way he deals with them. I had hoped Guptill would get some old-ball medium pace to play himself in but in retrospect fairly obvious he would be undone by Swann.

IMO Williamson has progressed in the last six months in that he's not hanging the bat out early and getting caught behind. However mitigating one problem reveals another - now he frequently faces 40 or 50 or 70 balls but then gets out - sometimes that will happen anyway but sometimes it's a lapse in concentration. Doesn't help that the team is collapsing around him, largely because Taylor is batting so poorly. As Bahnz said in the other thread, that is the single biggest problem with our batting at the moment (of problems that are 'solvable').

Wonder if Boult strained his side initially when trying to hit the ball out of the park - wouldn't be surprised. As Bahnz said it's probably not a bad thing for him; I'm certainly not unhappy he'll miss some ODIs.

Hope to combine a better batting effort and some rain to save this match - 2-0 over the course of this 5-match series seems harsh.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wonder if Boult strained his side initially when trying to hit the ball out of the park - wouldn't be surprised. As Bahnz said it's probably not a bad thing for him; I'm certainly not unhappy he'll miss some ODIs..
They were suggesting on Radio New Zealand this morning that it was a pretty bad injury and could keep him out for quite some time. Not sure where they heard that, but seeing as that was the first news I'd heard about the day's play, I was gutted.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
They were suggesting on Radio New Zealand this morning that it was a pretty bad injury and could keep him out for quite some time. Not sure where they heard that, but seeing as that was the first news I'd heard about the day's play, I was gutted.
there's a good 5 months before our next test so unless it's really serious it's not the end of the world.

Argh though, it's going to be a worry that Southee reverts to spraying it everywhere over winter...Hopefully Bond devises some type of plan to ensure that doesn't happen.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Ugh. Just when you thought the team has turned a corner it's actually just gone round the roundabout back on to **** Highway. **** our batting, seriously.