• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England are a long way off safety. Even 500 doesn't make England completely safe.

Although given the movement on offer I'd be surprised if England don't knock NZ over cheaply at least once.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
nah it'd be a massive surprise if NZ makes it beyond 300 and we'll need to do that at a good clip too.

Only Southee bowled well yesterday. Very disappointing.

Scaly piscine

It's cricket, strange things can happen. I thought Cook was lucky to get away with the early lbw shout (it wasn't reviewed but would have been umpire's call despite smashing into leg stump) and Bell was obviously lucky generally. That didn't make that much difference. Lots of playing and missing too. If Root hadn't given it away England could have been on their way to 500+. England could decide tomorrow that they can't catch a cold and let Taylor and McCullum smack it around. Maybe a bowler gets injured and you're treated to Finn's recipe of assorted gash.

From a theoretical perspective there could quite easily be 1400 runs in the match if there's no more play lost. So 700 from England could still lose - they're quite capable of getting about 550-600 from here across the two innings from 337-7. In practice of course NZ can't bat - but it still just takes some big scores from Rutherford, Taylor, McCullum or whoever.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It's cricket, strange things can happen. I thought Cook was lucky to get away with the early lbw shout (it wasn't reviewed but would have been umpire's call despite smashing into leg stump) and Bell was obviously lucky generally. That didn't make that much difference. Lots of playing and missing too. If Root hadn't given it away England could have been on their way to 500+. England could decide tomorrow that they can't catch a cold and let Taylor and McCullum smack it around. Maybe a bowler gets injured and you're treated to Finn's recipe of assorted gash.

From a theoretical perspective there could quite easily be 1400 runs in the match if there's no more play lost. So 700 from England could still lose - they're quite capable of getting about 550-600 from here across the two innings from 337-7. In practice of course NZ can't bat - but it still just takes some big scores from Rutherford, Taylor, McCullum or whoever.
Nope. 700 from England would mean a tie or a draw. :dry:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
On behalf of all those that pushed for Bracewell as fourth seamer for this series, that was crap Duggeh.

Was wayward in the overs I saw and 4+ per over shows how many poor balls he bowled. Must do better next innings to justify his place. By comparison, Wagner was average but was able to slide under the radar because Bracewell was worse.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yea nice 100 and now you've given it away and contributed to the wickets that followed. Congrats. It's nothing to do with experience, it's just about cricketing intelligence. If England want to aspire to being number 1 again they'll have to do a lot better than giving it away like that.
I don't think it was "dumb" as you keep saying; he just had a lapse of concentration. I'm sure he didn't make a calculated decision to get on the back foot and play away from his body with an angled bat off the first ball of the new rock. When you're facing bowling at > 80mph it all has to be automatic and he'd inadvertently relaxed after bringing up his ton. Dumb cricket is how Dwayne Smith gets out.. how Gerain Jones used to get out.. how Bell gets out sometimes. Not losing your concentration.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
PEWS, draw paying $2.02 on Betfair. Thoughts???????????
I make it a rule to not bet against New Zealand collapsing in the second innings unless I plan on laying my bet just before their second innings starts, so I haven't touched it. :p

Last edited:

social

I don't think it was "dumb" as you keep saying; he just had a lapse of concentration. I'm sure he didn't make a calculated decision to get on the back foot and play away from his body with an angled bat off the first ball of the new rock. When you're facing bowling at > 80mph it all has to be automatic and he'd inadvertently relaxed after bringing up his ton. Dumb cricket is how Dwayne Smith gets out.. how Gerain Jones used to get out.. how Bell gets out sometimes. Not losing your concentration.
Root played the same shot a number of times in his innings including to bring up his ton

Last time he edged it

Simples

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ need to finish the innings off quickly this morning or the horse will have bolted. If Prior and Swann bat for any length of time then England will be close to 400 by drinks as they won't hang about.

I hope Boult gets a Michelle, maybe not deserved in this innings but over the previous 4 tests he has deserved more wickets so is getting some reward here for his bad luck before.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah, I thought Boult bowled better than Southee over the first test, but Southee bowled much better yesterday.

Two for Boult and one for Southee or vice versa.

Neither Bracewell nor Wagner deserve any more wickets.