• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

BeeGee

International Captain
When do the question marks over Root go away?
Already gone for me. He's looked better in this series than any other English batsman.

I guess from an England point of view, his real test will be in the ashes. I know how much you guys obsess over that little urn. :p

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's more often than not bracketed as a negative of this English batting lineup than a positive.

"Only quality bats you've got are Cook and Pietersen etc etc"

Edit: Perhaps it's just Burgey.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
He's played six Tests ffs, hold your horses. Stranger things have happened than for a newbie to have a good start then flatline shortly afterwards.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He's more often than not bracketed as a negative of this English batting lineup than a positive.

"Only quality bats you've got are Cook and Pietersen etc etc"

Edit: Perhaps it's just Burgey.
He's neither.

I really like the look of him, but a) this is his 6th Test and b) he's yet to play a really substantial innings.

Bell and Trott can **** off at the end of the summer.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's played six Tests ffs, hold your horses. Stranger things have happened than for a newbie to have a good start then flatline shortly afterwards.
He's neither.

I really like the look of him, but a) this is his 6th Test and b) he's yet to play a really substantial innings.

Bell and Trott can **** off at the end of the summer.
I posted in the last Test that I wasn't entirely convinced by him. His first dismissal in the away NZ series highlighted the worries I have over him on the back foot outside off. Looks great on the cut when he gets it right but there was an over in the first Test of this series where he missed it/nearly chopped on 3 or 4 times.

Outside of that though, he just looks so good. He's taken to scoring big runs, admittedly only in the County Championship but he had a great game in the first Test and has just picked up where he's left off. The start to his Test career hasn't even been that good but it just looks like it's going to improve and improve IMO.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I posted in the last Test that I wasn't entirely convinced by him. His first dismissal in the away NZ series highlighted the worries I have over him on the back foot outside off. Looks great on the cut when he gets it right but there was an over in the first Test of this series where he missed it/nearly chopped on 3 or 4 times.

Outside of that though, he just looks so good. He's taken to scoring big runs, admittedly only in the County Championship but he had a great game in the first Test and has just picked up where he's left off. The start to his Test career hasn't even been that good but it just looks like it's going to improve and improve IMO.
I agree completely with that but I'm not counting my chickens yet with Root.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bumble reminding us there is an Ashes Test in Durham, what a joke. I hope the Aussie players have translators at the ready.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Just got up to watch a bit - looks like Southee still getting nice shape but England have played him well - bloody Root. Have any of NZ's other bowlers been good? Wagner's bowling high 120s here, while from the comments Bracewell and Boult have been mixed.

BeeGee

International Captain
Just got up to watch a bit - looks like Southee still getting nice shape but England have played him well - bloody Root. Have any of NZ's other bowlers been good? Wagner's bowling high 120s here, while from the comments Bracewell and Boult have been mixed.
Southee bowling reasonably well, the rest have been pretty poor.

Far too much leg side filth. Lines are all over the place.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Seen it plenty of times now but still have no idea what that thing they have built at Headingley is.
It also looks like it's been built in the wrong place.

They could do with demolishing the joint rugby/cricket stand, it just looks ****.