• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sam Robson averaging very nearly or very actually 100+ for the season...

Plus with Root about we have another ready made opening option already in the XI.
I can't see them giving someone a debut for the first ashes test so it depends on how Bairstow goes in this test I would guess. KP fitness still could be an issue as well of course.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Again, that's one of those ones that probably should've been given out, but was a good decision not to review.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The compulsory chat after a decision is turned down is so annoying.

Half the time it's just
"Don't think so"
- "Nor me"
*bowler walks back to mark*

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This is the difference between the sides.

Southee is bowling a spell probably equal to what Broad bowled, but will be lucky to end up with another wicket. Broad picked up 7.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Cook and Trott are providing an excellent example of playing in difficult conditions here. Very restrained, leaving the ball wherever possible, not concerned when receive something that goes past outside edge or in that case, just misses stumps. Our batsmen could learn a lot, obv.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Was thinking about Brownlie's dismissal the other day.

It was a nice set-up and all, but he did predict the outswinger to follow the inswing. If he'd been playing for the inswinger, he would have played inside the line.

I think Martin Crowe said something similar in terms of dealing with Wasim and Waqar; play for the inswinger. You might miss it by miles, but it's better than edging it.

Of course, you still need to be able to get across and cover the line.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

It was a nice set-up and all, but he did predict the outswinger to follow the inswing. If he'd been playing for the inswinger, he would have played inside the line.

I think Martin Crowe said something similar in terms of dealing with Wasim and Waqar; play for the inswinger. You might miss it by miles, but it's better than edging it.

Of course, you still need to be able to get across and cover the line.
You can't really do that with Anderson, as the outswinger is his stock delivery.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

It was a nice set-up and all, but he did predict the outswinger to follow the inswing.
Yep, at Lord's iirc Fulton, Brownlie, Watling, McCullum and Taylor all edged behind balls that they were drawn into playing outside off and were very very similar to some of the balls Southee has bowled here. But Trott not so easily sucked in.

Beautiful ball from Southee there past Cook's edge

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Batting doesn't really work like that. He was done by the delivery because he followed it with his hands.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
"a poor man's Peter Siddle" is a very, very generous description.

That said, I thought he was ok in the last test and he has seemed to have been picking up wickets. Someone else said he was the anti-Boult in that he bowls crap deliveries but somehow finds wickets, whereas Boult bowls beauties that either go past the edge or are dropped.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Batting doesn't really work like that. He was done by the delivery because he followed it with his hands.
That's what I mean though.

If he was setting himself up to protect his stumps from the inswinger he wouldn't have had time to react to the outswinger.

I dunno, it's just a theory.

I've never actually faced a bowler who could legitimately swing it both ways.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Decent hour of cricket that, NZ have bowled well but Cook and Trott have batted well so far and are doing what is needed. Have to get to lunch no more than 2 down and batting should become easier as the day goes on.