• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, if Southee and Boult keep consistent it might be very difficult for India to beat us at home.

Although, as always, the batsmen still need to put the runs on the board.

The west indies series will be very interesting.
India are touring New Zealand immediately after they tour South Africa, so I imagine they're batsmen will be fairly battle hardened by the time we play them.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah should be an interesting next 12 months.

Despite Bangladesh refusing to improve, I've long thought we risk embarrassing ourselves by losing our next test series in Bangladesh. Runs from Williamson and Taylor essential. Vettori down the order should be handy if he has the form and fitness to be selected.

West Indies are in a similar position to us in that they're threatening to develop into a competitive (but inconsistent) side. Our tour of West Indies last year was probably my single biggest disappointment of the last 18 months, which is really saying something. They're a similar level to us and even though they were boosted by a couple of returning players, we were just ****house and weren't even close to the required standard. Home advantage did play a part in that (particularly with Narine's and even Deonarine's bowling) and I expect home advantage to be similarly important in NZ for the return series. So I expect us to win the series and will be unhappy with any other result.

India are touring New Zealand immediately after they tour South Africa, so I imagine they're batsmen will be fairly battle hardened by the time we play them.
Hopefully they're mentally shot and have lost all confidence in playing the moving ball :)

Though that would require us to roll out pitches that aren't slow and flat, which seems unlikely if recent years are anything to go by. Doesn't seem like India really want to tour - all to lose and nothing to gain - which may play into our hands.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
I know this is off thread topic but...
Does anyone know why we only are due to play two tests against the Bangers, is it Bangladesh Cricket Board call or NZs, considering they pushed us hard last time we were there.
I just don’t think we can complain about only 2 tests vs the Big boys when we only play two tests in Bangladesh.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I agree that we should definitely be playing 3 tests vs Bangladesh in Bangladesh. And we can definitely complain about it on this forum even if it's our own board that's pushed for it :)

Unfortunately though we don't usually get to know whether it was our board or the other board that is responsible for the scheduling of two test series - so it's hard to answer your question.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Even if you're a strong team playing a weak team, a 3 test series presumably offers a chance to do a bit of rotation in the third test if the first two go smoothly.

It would be so much better if teams like England just played the weak teams more rather than insisting upon 3 warmup matches and super long series against India and Australia.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies are in a similar position to us in that they're threatening to develop into a competitive (but inconsistent) side. Our tour of West Indies last year was probably my single biggest disappointment of the last 18 months, which is really saying something. They're a similar level to us and even though they were boosted by a couple of returning players, we were just ****house and weren't even close to the required standard. Home advantage did play a part in that (particularly with Narine's and even Deonarine's bowling) and I expect home advantage to be similarly important in NZ for the return series. So I expect us to win the series and will be unhappy with any other result.
Nah disagree with this. When we toured WI last year the Windies were clearly a superior side. Although it was a little shakey at times, their batting was obviously better than ours, with Chanders, Gayle and Samuels all in top form. The bowling attacks were more evenly matched, but the Windies clearly had better variety with the pace of Roach and the turn of Narine and Deonarine.

I do expect the return series to be more even. The pitches won't suit their spinners, and will help bring the batting lineups closer together. Further, our bowling attack has greatly improved since then.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
I agree that we should definitely be playing 3 tests vs Bangladesh in Bangladesh. And we can definitely complain about it on this forum even if it's our own board that's pushed for it :)

Unfortunately though we don't usually get to know whether it was our board or the other board that is responsible for the scheduling of two test series - so it's hard to answer your question.
Went and answered my own question, on the future tours program the Bangers series is squashed between the very important champions league and the even more important 3 ODI’s we are playing in Sri Lanka (to help pay for the Hambantota Stadium one pressumes), than it is straight onto the Windies Series.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Nah disagree with this. When we toured WI last year the Windies were clearly a superior side. Although it was a little shakey at times, their batting was obviously better than ours, with Chanders, Gayle and Samuels all in top form. The bowling attacks were more evenly matched, but the Windies clearly had better variety with the pace of Roach and the turn of Narine and Deonarine.
The XIs they ended up fielding in that series were indeed stronger than ours, but that's only because they finally managed to get their **** together and field their best side for a change; hardly representative of their 18 months prior to that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Even if you're a strong team playing a weak team, a 3 test series presumably offers a chance to do a bit of rotation in the third test if the first two go smoothly.

It would be so much better if teams like England just played the weak teams more rather than insisting upon 3 warmup matches and super long series against India and Australia.
Nah, 5 Test series are laughably superior to all other series. Give me 5 Tests against South Africa over 3 against West Indies and Sri Lanka.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Got tickets for Monday so at least the game will still be live then. Next couple of days are supposed to be decent but then rain moving in again monday afternoon.