Cricket Player Manager
Page 10 of 293 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: ***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    The captain Kirk to your Han Solo?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Athlai would do himself an injury if he tried to be anything exciting like myself or Han Solo. He's made for being behind the camera, not in front.

Athlai was mk I, and I'm mk II. The new and improved version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Liked what I saw from Root.

The real question for England is whether they can sort their bowlers out. Finn looked like Ishant Sharma.
    I don't really agree with this. Whatever you think of Broad, Anderson and Swann they are all solid international performers. Whoeveer gets the fourth spot (and finn was trash in nz) they're gonna be a decent bowler. Bresnan, Finn, Onions, Tremlett- they all average 32 or less in test cricket- and they're all back playing. I'm not too worried about the bowling. I feel in this case it will fall into place rather nicely. None of the bowlers are great but they're all experienced in english conditions and in test cricket.

The batting for me is the worry. There are question marks over 3 of the top 7. Compton will open with Cook but is average. KP is a crock and major worry. And finally whoever goes 6 isn't ready for international cricket. Root, Bairstow, Taylor none are really ready and are been forced to play too early imo but needs must.

I don't have high hopes for Compton, Root and whoever replaces KP against NZ and possibly AUS, and for this reason there is an added pressure on Cook, Trott, Bell and Prior. They have got to perform or we could lose to both NZ and AUS.

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post

I don't have high hopes for Compton, Root and whoever replaces KP against NZ and possibly AUS, and for this reason there is an added pressure on Cook, Trott, Bell and Prior. They have got to perform or we could lose to both NZ and AUS.
    Blimey mate......bit early for panic stations

Don't get me wrong, I know this English team has a way to go and I'm certainly not attempting to elevate them to a level where they are not........but I don't think I'm overstating them as a side when I say they are considerably stronger than both our test opponents this summer. If we lose at home in either of these series it will be a massive underachievement and well, extremely disappointing.

As for Compton and Root, this comes down to opinion I suppose as to what we see in them...... personally I'm very comfortable with both in the side and think the two of them have the potential to become very good cricketers. Performances to date have certainly been mixed though and only time will tell which of us have got them pegged right.

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    The loss of KP is a big blow, but I think the chances of you losing the series against NZ are virtually nil. Barring wash outs, I expect 2-0 to England. England just seemed off their game for the NZ tour (for whatever reason), but I expect they will have put that behind them now.

Root and Compton will find it much easier in familiar batting conditions.

And any concerns you have over England's batting pale in comparison to Australia's current batting woes.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    The thing is, people have talked about how England have just been "off their game" for four of their last five series. Maybe it's actually something more than that?

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    Root and Compton will find it much easier in familiar batting conditions.
    Whether more familiar or not, they both had the easiest batting conditions possible in New Zealand, and Compton cashed in.

Purely by aesthetically judging their techniques, Root looks better equipped to score runs in English conditions with the ball moving around a bit more than Compton.

Compton (like Fulton, and basically all the NZ batsmen barring Taylor and Brownlie) will find it much more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    The thing is, people have talked about how England have just been "off their game" for four of their last five series. Maybe it's actually something more than that?
    I don't think we played anywhere near our best cricket in NZ and the Kiwis played very well and were no doubt the better side over the 3 tests. That's the only series I'll say were we were "off our game".

India - Excellent performance with both bat and ball.

South Africa - Are simply a much better side than Eng and beat us.

West Indies - Those writing Broad and Bresnan off should look back at this series. Both were excellent and this was less than 12 months ago.

Sri Lanka - Hard to really judge how they went here.....hate 2 test series. Terrible in the first, dominant in the second. If there was a third test and we won it, it would have been a good series performance.......if we'd have lost it, it would have been poor. Juries out on this one for mine.

Pakistan - Terrible. But undone by some unbelievably great spin bowling. It is easy to forget how well our bowlers went in this series though......they certainly did their job.

So all this leads me to believe that whilst we aren't a great side by any means and certainly not as strong as 2010/11.......we certainly shouldn't be concerned with our opposition this summer.

Edit:

My apologies, that last sentence had some Aussieesque arrogance about it!!

What I obviously mean is that we will rightly be favourites going into both series, if we play anywhere close to our potential then we will win. But having said that both NZ and the Aussies are capable of taking advantage if we are off our game and not up for the contest.
    Last edited by Adders; 27-04-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    But having said that both NZ and the Aussies are capable of taking advantage if we are off our game and not up for the contest.
    I think Aussie are but England at home will be heavy favourites to beat us. Our best chance is if Tim Southee finds his SL form in England and takes a series of 5fers.

I also suspect the Parker report will have unsettled the NZ dressing room and Taylor's mind set. I will be surprised if he comes off in the series. Really for Ross to start playing well again it will take some great leadership from BMac to settle him into the side and get him re-focused. I hope Brendon can do that for him because I doubt the coach will based on newspaper reports.

If Ross is allowed to he should take his wife on tour for support.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Although Broad and Bresnan had success against the Windies, I think both didn't bowl as well as they had done against India, and in Broad's case, as well as he did against Pakistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I also suspect the Parker report will have unsettled the NZ dressing room and Taylor's mind set. I will be surprised if he comes off in the series.
    The dude scored a century and a 75 after being told he wasn't good enough by his coach.

The good thing about scoring runs is that you only have to focus on scoring runs.

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Lions team announced for game against NZ.

Pretty strong team

England Lions team to face New Zealand at Grace Road:

Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
    Ravi Bopara (Essex)
    Michael Carberry (Hampshire)
    Varun Chopra (Warwickshire)
    Simon Kerrigan (Lancashire)
    Graham Onions (Durham)
    Toby Roland-Jones (Middlesex)
    Joe Root (captain, Yorkshire)
    James Taylor (Nottinghamshire)
    Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
    Chris Wright (Warwickshire)

U19 Debutant
    Im surprised Bresnan isn't in the team, i would have thought that he might be competing for a spot with Woakes. Is he therefore already pencilled in for Lords

The Ravi love saga continues

More than one source today saying that Guptill in line for a middle order spot - ie. Not that he will have one, but that's what he is in the squad for.

And considering Taylor and McCullum will be in India and miss the first tour game, makes it kind of obvious that he will get that one at least.
    Last edited by Jezroy; 29-04-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Page 10 of 293 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread Information