• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Field placings

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
iamdavid said:
Rather defensive arent we , I'd think you'd want to be showing slightly more aggresive intentions for the first ball of a match.
Unless this is for a One Dayer

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I generally go with this field for the first over of the innings:

Keeper (obviously) two slips, two gullies, point, cover, mid-off, mid-on, square leg (45).

If the bowler can't bowl to that then they are off, or we try to work out a plan.

I like to have this field because it gives the bowler and the batsman a message. It says to the bowler "BOWL OUTSIDE OFF STUMP!" (it takes some bowlers alot longer than others to realise this message). And it says to the batsman "hey, we have a swinging ball here, if you want to play accross the line and play with risk there are runs for you, but you make a mistake there a fielders there who will catch the ball." Of course you need the fielders to back you up, no point having them there if they can't catch or let runs through.

After a while I like to put another fielder on the legside, either the mid-off or one of the gullies so the bowlers can work more at the stumps, after they have got their rythum.

I generally don't like to have any more than three fielders on the leg side, but some time you have to keep in mind that the level of cricket I play at the batsman get frustrated if they aren't scoring runs, so sometime you have to strangle them and put four on the leg side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I like to see bowlers aiming at the stumps rather than outside off, in the First-Class game, anyway. In the limited-overs game 6-3 is perfectly fair.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blewy said:
Unless this is for a One Dayer
For the limited-overs game my fave field is:
Wicketkeeper, first-slip, cover-point, short-extra-cover, mid-off, mid-on, mid-wicket, square-leg, third-man, long-leg.
You rarely get catches at second-slip in the one-day game unless you get really seam-and-swing-friendly conditions (in which case you place one) and you wouldn't believe the number of singles you stop by preventing the batsmen from just dabbing the ball into the off-side or deliberately inside-edging through square-leg. Bowl at or just outside off and a decent length with the 'keeper up and this field and even the best won't be able to score at much more than 65-per-100-balls.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
iamdavid said:
Rather defensive arent we , I'd think you'd want to be showing slightly more aggresive intentions for the first ball of a match.
Amazing how few catches you actually get at fourth-slip, gully positions.
I always try to protect the leg-side as much as possible, to get bowlers to aim at the stumps and swing it away, or bowl inswing as is their wish.

Craig

World Traveller
If the ball is swinging, I would leave cover on and encourage my bowlers to bowl there.

Those who are strong down the ground (ie Hayden, Fleming etc.) I would put in a short mid on and mid off in place.

Depending on the batsman, is how I will set the field even if it is for the first ball of the Test match. Like for Langer, a square leg is important.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO far too few captains tailor fields to batsmen, or if they do it's ill-informed.
For instance, how many people put two gullies to Gilchrist and Trescothick? How often do they get caught there? Every now and then. A short-third-man (often called fly-slip) would be better.
Stephen Fleming's man-for-man fields in The VB Series 2001\02 paid-off spectacularly, even if he couldn't keep The Genius down forever.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richard said:
I like to see bowlers aiming at the stumps rather than outside off, in the First-Class game, anyway. In the limited-overs game 6-3 is perfectly fair.
Now this is one thing I agree with you 100% on , I reckon that there are more than a few FC seamers out there who could do with bowling a slightly fuller line & straighter lenght , bringing the slips more into play & eliminating the need for all the gully & 4th slip feildsman.

As a captain in juniors , for my self (being a left armer) of-
*1st slip
*2nd slip
*short midwicket (the getting in the batsmans eye line thing works , especially at the lower levels & its amazing how many singles this position is able to stop)
*square leg (slighly forward of square)
*fine leg on the rope
*wideish mid-on
*very straight mid-off
*squarish cover
*deepish backward point

I intentionally leave a big gap through the extra cover region , enticing the batsman to try & drive inside out at straight balls against the swing , which will be bringing the ball back in.

I find you can determine a fair bit about how a batsman in going to play by watching his initial foot movement.

They all have one , for instance a guy who moves confidently onto the front foot at the point of release can be tied down with a few short ones , then after an over or so you intentionally throw up a full wide ball swinging away from him & he is often so keen to get bat on it that he'll snick it.

I generally try & bowl much straighter than most , brings more modes of dismisal into play & you have to make them play while they're nervous.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richard said:
It must be fantastic to be a good bowler and a captain!:(
I never get a look in at captaining my grade side :( , just because they are all old buggers twice my age dosent mean they will do it any better :!(

By the sounds of things you would make a pretty decent captain Richard.