Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your own "Damn I missed it" moments.

International Captain

Your own "Damn I missed it" moments.

Along side the I was there moments are the I should have seen it but didn't moments. It doesn't have to have been at the ground. If you were watching on TV and decided to go to bed or watch something else or go out or missed an historic moment for any avoidable reason.

Mine dates back to 1977 and Geoff Boycott's 100th Hundred. I was at my aunts house and in those days most people only had one TV in the house. I'd been watching all day when my aunt came into the room and turned over at 5:45pm for the ITN News. It was only a 15 minute window and often Boycs took a long time to get through the 90's. On this occasion however Greg Chappel was inexplicably bowling and gave him a nice leg stump half volley - and I bloody missed it.

It was rather more than a moment, but I went travelling around Europe for a month after Day 3 of the Headingly test in 1981, which meant I missed Botham and Willis on Days 4 & 5 of that test and the whole of Edgbaston and Old Trafford. Luckily I was back in time for the snorefest at the Oval for the dead rubber 6th test.

SA's 434 chase at Jo'burg. I was supposed to go to the game but didn't and played football during the chase.

I was also on a plane to the US and missed the first three days of the 2nd Test of 2005 Ashes where England scored over 400 in a day and didn't see the end of the Test live
    Last edited by Goughy; 28-03-2013 at 06:06 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Ireland beating England in the World Cup - went to bed. Lame-o.

England vs. Australia 4th test 2005 Ashes - went to bed. Lame-o.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

England vs. Australia 4th test 2005 Ashes - went to bed. Lame-o.
    You missed all five days? Five days in bed sleeping or five days in bed with someone else?
    Either way, I need some tips :o

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    You missed all five days? Five days in bed sleeping or five days in bed with someone else?
    Either way, I need some tips :o
    With Kohli obbiously
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

that mike hussey 60* in the world t20, went to bed

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    I missed that incredible ODI where both Aus and SA scored more than 400- went to bed.

most of the Ind/pak game in the 2003 wc - went to bed

When Astle scored 200 at an incredible rate - can't remember

most of NZ-SA quater-final WC 2011 - went to bed

most of india's innings in the 2011 WC final - went to bed

When Aus got bowled out for like 40ish in SA - went to bed!

England and eventually Monty and Anderson batting out a draw against Aus at Cardiff? - went to bed
    Last edited by centurymaker; 28-03-2013 at 07:04 AM.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Back in 1996, in grad school, I took this really cute girl (dutch+german=american) out for a movie; "the english patient" - before Seinfeld ripped it apart in the following summer, and for dinner to Olive Garden - that was what students could afford those days. It was Florida in winter - pleasantly cold and the university town was alive with the weekend energy. We had an awesome time at the theater and at dinner. When we reached her apartment after all the warmth and love exchanged for five hours, she held my hand, looked me in the eye and asked me if I would like to come in for coffee. For some bloody reason I said no, thanks. Kissed her on the cheek. And went home. When I sat on my couch in front of the TV it hit me. "Damn! I missed it!!".

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    Back in 1996, in grad school, I took this really cute girl (dutch+german=american) out for a movie; "the english patient" - before Seinfeld ripped it apart in the following summer, and for dinner to Olive Garden - that was what students could afford those days. It was Florida in winter - pleasantly cold and the university town was alive with the weekend energy. We had an awesome time at the theater and at dinner. When we reached her apartment after all the warmth and love exchanged for five hours, she held my hand, looked me in the eye and asked me if I would like to come in for coffee. For some bloody reason I said no, thanks. Kissed her on the cheek. And went home. When I sat on my couch in front of the TV it hit me. "Damn! I missed it!!".
    Did India win?
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

1981 - Headingly Test last day. I was at school at the time, in the 6th form so didn't have lessons all day every day. I'd seen the Monday afternoon (no lessons) but on the Tuesday I had lessons either side of lunch. I was almost home at lunchtime when Hughes got out and ran in to see Yallop's whole innings (2 balls). Going back in for the afternoon for double English Lit I had the radio on. I heard Old dismissing Border and almost went home again. Marsh was out soon after but by then I had been seen, and would be missed. I had to sit through 2 lessons on Alexander bloody Pope while that game was being played out. Of course, by the end of the lesson the radio was no longer covering the cricket - it having finished a while back - so it wasn't until I passed a shop with a TV ran by someone who had seen it that I knew the result.

During Botham's great hundred at Old Trafford a few weeks later the BBC (Grandstand - Saturday afternoon) kept cutting away to horse racing Even worse, this would involve 10 minutes before the race watching the horses walk round, a two minute race, then another ten minutes prattling on about the race WHEN BOTHAM IS PLAYING ONE OF THE GREAT INNINGS

Also with Botham: 1986 Oval Test: England had a dreadful summer but on the Saturday of this Test Gatting and Gower hit splendid tons. Botham would be batting straight away on the Monday but the weather forecast was dire. Heavy rain was expected from midday in London (they came off at 12.01 - good call) which would then ruin the last 2 days. Despite being a Surrey Member (free entry) at the time I decided not to go on the Monday for just an hours play. Botham hit 50+ in about 5 overs - would have been worth it.

When Gooch got 333 v India in 1990 nobody saw him go to 300 live on TV - he was 299* at Tea but the BBC had gone to the 16.00 horse race! Nobody there thought to tape the race and show a rare moment live.

Last ball of Edgbaston 2005. Convinced the game had gone I had the sound down on the TV and was less than half watching it. Suddenly Jones dives to his left, rolls over and gets up arm raised. I didn't see the ball delivered.

Missed most of the 3rd day of Edgbaston 2005. Was watching Shaun Udal bowling out Gloucestershire.

At school for most of the last day at the Oval as well.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Mine was the Oval Test in 2005 - rather than go and watch all five days of that I went on honeymoon instead, which might not have been quite so bad were it not for the fact that the marriage lasted just five years and cost me shedloads of money.

The one that amused me though was my Dad's - loved his cricket and took every chance to watch it rather than go to work - his employers, Guardian Royal Exchange as they then were, had block of hospitality seats for the whole of the Headingley Test in 81. He went on the first three days, but thought it was so tedious he gave his place to a junior colleague for the Monday and the Tuesday and went back into the office - I never let him forget it

Missed the 2006/7 Ashes. What a pity.

GGG
    Astle's double vs England, went to the first 3 days but like a typical fair weathered supporter I decided not to go on the 4th.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information