• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fawad Ahmed

Midwinter

State Captain
Just plain embarassing the way Australia will "fast track" anyone who may win a medal or bring some glory

Anyone remember "Aussie" Hana Mandllkova

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I don't have a problem with this. If someone wants to live in your country and will contribute, what is so wrong about them representing you? Far better than people who can't be bothered to get up from their sofas and waste the taxpayers money.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
I think the best way to go about this is to include him in the Aus Ashes series based on his form in the two shield matches before. If he is good enough, which he as relly already shown then give him a go. Don't rush a couple bills through parliament and get him over to England, won't do Lyons confidence any good and probably won't win us the Ashes back.

davidmutton

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ahmed seems like a top bloke, and it is good that CA are getting serious about diversifying the sport. But the problem arises that at the moment he does not meet the ICC minimum rules for eligibility, which is why he needs the citizenship, except he has not been in the country long enough for that either, which is why they are rushing this new bill through parliament. And in a country where the system seems to be very harsh on asylum seekers, treating one high-profile sports star differently (his asylum application was initially rejected and CA had to lobby the immigration minister to review it personally) whiffs of hypocrisy.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looks good, I reckon.

McGain isn't a cautionary tale for Ahmed, as much as people bring him up. Unless Ahmed comes back from a serious shoulder injury within two months of his Test debut, not comparable. Aside from the fact they're quite different bowlers anyway.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Ahmed seems like a top bloke, and it is good that CA are getting serious about diversifying the sport. But the problem arises that at the moment he does not meet the ICC minimum rules for eligibility, which is why he needs the citizenship, except he has not been in the country long enough for that either, which is why they are rushing this new bill through parliament. And in a country where the system seems to be very harsh on asylum seekers, treating one high-profile sports star differently (his asylum application was initially rejected and CA had to lobby the immigration minister to review it personally) whiffs of hypocrisy.
Given the billions spent on them and the legal processes available to people who pay to enter a country illegally destroying their documentation I think they are treated rather well in fact. If Ahmed came here with documentation and legally then he deserves to be treated preferentially. If he didn't then you may have a point.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
My thoughts on the whole Ahmed matter is that Australia have taken him in, he has a place to live and he worked(s?) in a warehouse and has a reasonable life. Then the cricket associations have given him a new lease on life and through that system he has risen to great heights. Because of the fact that CA and Cricket Victoria looked after him, I don't see why he shouldn't represent them and Australia as soon as possible. That is simply my opinion.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Ahmed is out of the warehouse. Cricket Victoria got him a job, didn't they Vic?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Full disclosure, I have not seen him bowl so my comments are not directed at his talents as a cricketer. However, his potential inclusion is lunacy. He isn't young and he has a wafer thin cricketing CV.

This is an interesting human interest story, especially in a world where everyone on a reality TV has recently lost a parent or was bullied at school, but from a cricketing perspective it would be ****ing bonkers. A worse decision, IMO, than the Darren Pattinson selection. He has done little in a very short cricket career, barely been in Aus 2-3 years and IMO has not paid his cricketing dues and it would be a slap in the face of all other Aus spinners. Someone like Imram Tahir had played over 100 FC games before playing for SA.

He has done nothing to justify being in the discussion for selection. This is a back story overpowering the cricket relevant issues.

As I said at the beginning, IMO, this entire discussion is ****ing lunacy but it is great entertainment watching Australia create their own mess and seem not to have a clue. 10 years ago I would never have dreamed Aus cricket could sink so far so fast into incompetence on and off the field. Steve Waugh must be turning in his grave.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was working in a warehouse when he was with Hoppers Crossing. Been employed by CV, not sure to what extent, whether it was full time or what.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Was working in a warehouse when he was with Hoppers Crossing. Been employed by CV, not sure to what extent, whether it was full time or what.
He has a CV contract though doesn't he, and now he has a CA multicultural ambassador contract, so he probably earns a fair bit from those 2.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Full disclosure, I have not seen him bowl so my comments are not directed at his talents as a cricketer. However, his potential inclusion is lunacy. He isn't young and he has a wafer thin CV.

This is an interesting human interest story, especially in a world where everyone on a reality TV has recently lost a parent or was bullied at school, but from a cricketing perspective it would be ****ing bonkers. A worse decision, IMO, the Darren Pattinson selection.

He has done nothing to justify being in the discussion for selection. This is a back story overpowering the cricket relevant issues.
I realise his circumstances are different, but I can't agree with this, McGill and Damien Martyn have called him the best wrist-spinner since Warne. James Hopes said he was the best wrist spinner in the comp, and he has been lauded by all his opponents. While he has only played 3 FC games, all were on fairly unhelpful pitches and his List A performances (including the Eng Lions game) have all been impressive. He is tall, he bowls fairly quickly, yet he still turns the ball quite prodigiously at times, I firmly believe he is better than Lyon, and I think his selection would be justified.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I realise his circumstances are different, but I can't agree with this, McGill and Damien Martyn have called him the best wrist-spinner since Warne. James Hopes said he was the best wrist spinner in the comp, and he has been lauded by all his opponents. While he has only played 3 FC games, all were on fairly unhelpful pitches and his List A performances (including the Eng Lions game) have all been impressive. He is tall, he bowls fairly quickly, yet he still turns the ball quite prodigiously at times, I firmly believe he is better than Lyon, and I think his selection would be justified.
Yeah, we can agree to differ. As I see it, what you detail above - a couple of compliments and **** all cricket - doesn't come close to justifying a selection. You even use his brief limited over career to justify an Ashes selection. As I said though, as an Englishman, it is great fun watching this shambles.