• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Indian Premier League 2013

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I generally watch the IPL on mute on my comp whilst watching something else on TV - I presume this post means they mentioned it 50 million times on the commentary?
No, it meant I couldn't believe he was actually taking a dummy out onto the field for his wicket celebrations. Apparently he does though. Something to do with his daughter being born recently.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
In the next auction (which is a despicable thing, since it reduces humans to sale-able commodities), all the team owners should focus on sticking to players from the same city, zone or thereabouts, or at least players who've played together in groups. That will improve team performance. Any English/Australian/Saffie/Kiwi domestic T20 side with one or two overseas players can wipe the floor with Kolkata Knightriders and pip Mumbai Indians, both of whom are virtual World XIs.
  • Mumbai/Baroda for Mumbai, Bengal/Jharkhand for Bengal, Rajasthan/UP/MP for Jaipur, North Zone for Punjab, Delhi/Haryana/UP for Delhi make strong catchment areas. Bangalore and Chennai can field strong teams by sticking to their catchment areas and farming from the rest of the southern states.
  • India A and a specific India U-19 generation are also easy catchment areas.
  • A team can stick to a mix of national and domestic players from a particular country.
  • A multinational mix of players who have played for another country's domestic side can also be considered.

Dissector

International Debutant
Wow. That was perhaps the best hitting I have seen in the last five overs of a chase. Absolutely brutal from Pollard and he certainly earned his paycheck today.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Vicious. This is the Pollard we know and love. Ideally, he (or Maxwell) should be opening the innings, while the other comes out at five.

I'm happy to see Mumbai Indians at the top and in contention for a top spot in playoffs- but those big hits off Ishant and Mishra are rather disturbing. It's a flat deck, but they were so savagely taken apart, it doesn't feel good if India are playing on flat decks in England.

Then let's look at Stuart Binny. He may be India's Dwayne Bravo/Thissara Perera/Kieron Pollard, albeit on a much lower scale. He's doing very well for himself and the team. In limited opportunities, he's done well to have an average in the twenties and a strike rate over 150. Although Dravid hasn't given him much to bowl, he's got a good economy rate under 6.5 and a strike rate of 24, a good combination, and that's also bettered his career averages too. He may have a shout as India's frontline T20I all-rounder. Of course, Harbhajan and Vinay Kumar seem to be doing a lot better with the ball without being far behind with the bat.

EDIT: What's the deal with Ajit Chandila? He somehow manages to keep his economy under seven, even on flat IPL decks on grounds with reduced boundaries. If he could bat as well as Yusuf or Binny, he'd be a hot contender for the T20I side.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
Not sure about opening but definitely higher than 6. Arguably Pollard batted too low the last time MI reached the final and it may have cost them the trophy. It will be interesting to see where they slot him in the next few games.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Then there's the curious case of Ambati Rayudu. He had a slightly-better-than-average record in the IPL until this one, and people said that he deserves a place in the national side, ahead of "no-hit" Sharma, and he did rather well in the Ranji/Irani/Duleep season that followed, and people (especially on Cricinfo) started talking him up as an automatic India prospect. Now he's the weak link in the Mumbai Indians side, and fans now question him getting a place ahead of Pollard.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
More for Mohit, the guy is having a great debut season. He doesn't seem to bowl crap deliveries and is now bowling around 135kph. I hope he keeps up his good performances because India may have found a star.

GGG

State Captain
Another on par performance from Kallis, why they stick with him is beyond me, must be a marketing ploy surely?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep, Morgan sitting out again - absolute joke. Hope he moves to a decent side.

Yusuf was definitely out.

Hmm Twatto should have hammered that. Seems to be a lot of bad blood in this later match. Not exactly the sort of gamesmanship you'd expect for a cricket game.

And some more needle there...