• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jesse Ryder Seriously Injured during attack at Christchurch bar

James

Cricket Web Owner
Good news, why they didn't just hand themselves in is beyond me. Just making it worse for themselves.

You can bet the media is going to have a field day with them.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You can bet the media is going to have a field day with them.
They'll get name suppression - and rightly so in this case. The NZ gutter press will have them tried and convicted and guarantee a jeopardised trial.

Mind you, even if they get name suppression, a fair trial will be pretty difficult as you can also guarantee that the media will push things as much as possible and rake the dirt again and again.

James

Cricket Web Owner
They'll get name suppression - and rightly so in this case. The NZ gutter press will have them tried and convicted and guarantee a jeopardised trial.

Mind you, even if they get name suppression, a fair trial will be pretty difficult as you can also guarantee that the media will push things as much as possible and rake the dirt again and again.
That's true, and as you say it's warranted.

Inny Binny

Cricket Spectator
2.The Current Sentencing Structure

Not sure of the diff between assault and aggravated assault.

I am really struggling to actually comprehend how some people could be so bad as to do this.
looking at the crimes act, will probably be charged under section 188:

188. Wounding with intent
  1. Every one is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years who, with intent to cause grievous bodily harm to any one, wounds, maims, disfigures, or causes grievous bodily harm to any person.
  2. Every one is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 7 years who, with intent to injure anyone, or with reckless disregard for the safety of others, wounds, maims, disfigures, or causes grievous bodily harm to any person.

Crimes Act 1961

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Aww, can't we have a good public lynching just this once?

Hrmm... now I remember why I haven't been posting in this thread.:shy:

Hope to hear in the next few days that Ryder is brought of the induced coma.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
As HC, the whole induced coma thing made me fear the worst tbh. Great to hear some good news coming in finally though.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great news on all fronts today then!

I found it interesting to read that they momentarily reduce the sedation just enough for the patient to gain consciousness in order to acknowledge loved-ones, and then ramp it up again. All sounds fairly blazay, but I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They'll get name suppression - and rightly so in this case.
Agree, although I'll bet my bottom dollar that word will spread pretty fast around Christchurch as to their identity. I doubt it's only the Police who are privy to the info.