• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jesse Ryder Seriously Injured during attack at Christchurch bar

jcas0167

International Debutant
wtf.

A whole range of speculation shooting through my head but I can't even begin to make sense of it. 4 dudes beating up a guy and kicking him on the ground bad enough to fracture his skull.

Just horrible.
The kicking people once they're down thing is something I've read of in several incidents over the last few years. Disgusting. I hope the culprits get caught quickly. They should just own up, they're not going to get away with this.

Poor Ryder, this is so tragic. Thoughts with his family and friends.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Wow, really shocked by this. What a totally gutless act by those four people.

Hope he makes a full speedy recovery.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
It's Christchurch. There is a lot of anger in the village of the damned...
Yep, the above wasn't just an attempted jest to lighten the mood from Smudge it should be noted. It's difficult, but I'll try to keep that as an unconnected dot in my mind for now, and would advise the rest of CW to do the same.

Jezroy

State Captain
Have heard a lot of rumours today about what went on in the lead up to this happening, but I don't care if Jesse was sitting in a gutter, drunk, and told one of them he was a ****, he doesn't deserve this.

Knowing the NZ Justice system, when these guys are caught, nothing will happen to them. It probably won't even be their fault. Possibly their lawyer will argue that they were disgruntled cricket fans who blamed Ryder for NZ not beating England.

I'm not making a joke - our judicial system is just ****ed.

All the best Jesse, I just hope that he can get through this horrendous incident, and all of the recovery which he will need.

To the guys that did this to him - on your ratio, it should be 16 guys against 4 of you. And since you did this to a cricketer, they all get cricket bats.

Fair deal?

Spark

Global Moderator
I wish the humility of your responses would reflect your shock rather than repeatedly displaying bravado. I feel your trolling me, with your misplaced sensitivities. And I think it's pretty disgusting that you've accused me of trolling- but anyway, I'm not gonna respond to your posts any more. Just don't accuse me of trolling you with silence this time.
...weren't you told by a moderator to drop it?
Quite. Enjoy the holiday, dhillon.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmmmm. I have a couple of good friends who live round the corner from this bar. Not a bad area of Christchurch really, relatively unscathed from the earthquakes.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not many additional details coming through in the conference - just that there was a brief altercation outside the bar, then the assault took place as Ryder was walking away towards the McDonald's.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Heard this at work early this morning, and heard hourly updates over the radio throughout the day.

Just cowardly stuff by the guys who beat him up. I hope the ****s get found and dealt with severely.

10 or more witnesses, and CCTV footage.

Get well soon Big Jesse!

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Have heard a lot of rumours today about what went on in the lead up to this happening, but I don't care if Jesse was sitting in a gutter, drunk, and told one of them he was a ****, he doesn't deserve this.

Knowing the NZ Justice system, when these guys are caught, nothing will happen to them. It probably won't even be their fault. Possibly their lawyer will argue that they were disgruntled cricket fans who blamed Ryder for NZ not beating England.

I'm not making a joke - our judicial system is just ****ed.

Nah, what the judicial system doesn't do is allow for much discretion in the case of self defense - i.e. if Jesse had punched one of them who'd fallen on a rusty drainpipe and cracked their skull open, he'd still be up for manslaughter even if it's self defense.

I think if these guys are identified they'll at least get a jail term, no matter who the instigator turns out to have been.

Jezroy

State Captain
Nah, what the judicial system doesn't do is allow for much discretion in the case of self defense - i.e. if Jesse had punched one of them who'd fallen on a rusty drainpipe and cracked their skull open, he'd still be up for manslaughter even if it's self defense.

I think if these guys are identified they'll at least get a jail term, no matter who the instigator turns out to have been.
They all better be - for a long time. But I fear they won't.

Blain

U19 Captain
More and more information coming out, makes me feel sick. He was attacked twice;

Jesse Ryder was attacked twice in quick succession, suffering serious head injuries in the second part of what a witness called a 'Jesse hate fight'.

Ryder is now in a critical condition and in an induced coma in Christchurch Hospital. He has suffered multiple injuries that include a fractured skull.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you witness the attack? Send us your account

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detective Senior Sergeant Brian Archer said the first altercation was outside Aikmans bar and the second was outside McDonald's. It was the second attack in which Ryder sustained his most serious injuries.

The first incident involved two or three people. Police believed two of them then followed Ryder to the McDonald's carpark, where one of them attacked him a second time.

Police were still working to understand any motives for the attack.

CCTV footage is available and police are confident the attackers were caught on camera. But police are yet to publicly release photos or footage, suggesting they have suspects.

A full scene examination had been completed at both sites but police said they had found "nothing of significance".

Archer said most of Ryder's team mates were in McDonald's ordering food when he was attacked.

Alcohol was not an aggravating factor in the attack, which was witnessed by about 10 people, Archer said.

More here Jesse Ryder In Critical Condition In Hospital | Stuff.co.nz

F*ckers