• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jesse Ryder Seriously Injured during attack at Christchurch bar

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently Ryder was with about 6 other Wellington players at the bar. I wonder where they were during the attack? Had they already left at that stage? Or was Jesse attacked while popping outside for a ciggy or something? So many questions...

outbreak

First Class Debutant
How does this even happen at a bar with witnesses? I've seen a few fights in my time but if it's in a public place like a bar isn't there usually bouncers/security who break it up if it's one guy being beaten on by a group? Wouldn't bystanders try to intervene when it's 4 on 1 in a busy bar?

thierry henry

International Coach
How does this even happen at a bar with witnesses? I've seen a few fights in my time but if it's in a public place like a bar isn't there usually bouncers/security who break it up if it's one guy being beaten on by a group? Wouldn't bystanders try to intervene when it's 4 on 1 in a busy bar?
It's a Wednesday night in the ****hole of the world. Would've been hardly anyone there and no bouncers.

jcas0167

International Debutant
outside a McDonalds

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There were no bouncers because it was a wednesday which is usually a quiet night, apparently.

BeeGee

International Captain
Terrible news.

I hope he comes through it without any lasting effects.

It sounds like it was a cowardly attack, too. Disgusting. I hope Ryder recovers and the police catch those responsible.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Jesse Ryder beaten up outside Chch bar

By: Newstalk ZB and Radio Sport staff | Latest Cricket News | Thursday March 28 2013 9:52

Jesse Ryder is in an induced coma in Christchurch Hospital, with what's believed to be a fractured skull and collapsed lung after being beaten up in the city.

In a statement police say they're investigating an incident at a bar in Merivale in the early hours of this morning.

A witness says he helped drag three men off the 28-year-old outside Aikman's Bistro and Bar on the corner of Aikmans and Papanui Roads in Merivale early this morning.

He says he only realised it was Jesse Ryder when he saw him on the ground.

He says Jesse Ryder stood up, some friends were with him, and they walked off together.

Police investigating the alleged assault say they have yet to make any arrests.

Alysha Green was at Aikman's Bar in Merivale last night and says Ryder was with a number of his Wellington Firebirds teammates but there was no trouble at all in the bar.

"No we were sitting at the table here outside all night and nothing. Like I said, they were the only other young group here."

Aikman's Bar owner Steven Holmes says the altercation took place off his premises and he won't comment on whether Ryder - who has a history of problems with alcohol - was drinking.

Murray Traill owns McDonald's in the area and says they'll speak to their staff and go through their CCTV footage.

"Really keen to find out what we can and obviously help the police if they're interested, I'm sure they are."

One witness says he helped move on two or three men who were involved in an attack.

He says he only realised it was Jesse Ryder when he saw him on the ground.

He says Jesse Ryder stood up, some friends were with him, and they walked off together.

Family members and Jesse Ryder's manager is heading to Christchurch to be by his side.

His manager Aaron Klee has tweeted "Thanks for the calls and msgs of support for Jesse. Just heading to Chch to see him.".

In another post on Twitter, New Zealand Cricket says it's thoughts are with Jesse Ryder.

Cricket commentator Bryan Waddle says it's devastating news.

"He did seem to attract attention and other people at times have looked to provoke him. I think he was making huge progress in his life."

Ryder was due to leave the country shortly to take part in the IPL.

Ryder played for the Wellington Firebirds yesterday in their Ford Trophy semi-final loss to the Wizards.
Jesse Ryder beaten up outside Chch bar - Latest Cricket News - New Zealand's Premier Just Sport Station - Radio Sport

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Skull fracture + Coma- that beating has be executed with the intention to kill/disable to cause that degree of injury. There were also four of them. Seems like an organised attack to me. I hope he recovers consciousness swiftly. This is very saddening news.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Skull fracture + Coma- that beating has be executed with the intention to kill/disable to cause that degree of injury. There were also four of them. Seems like an organised attack to me. I hope he recovers consciousness swiftly. This is very saddening news.
It's an induced coma, probably to spare him pain, so regaining consciousness hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
...you can get that sort of injury falling of a bicycle. There is no need for pointless speculation: let the "24 hour news cycle" play itself out.

My thoughts with Ryder and family. Was gonna post something in the Ross Taylor thread, but this seems to dwarf any problems that NZ cricket has at the moment. Truly dreadful stuff.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's an induced coma, probably to spare him pain, so regaining consciousness hopefully shouldn't be an issue.
Yeah, hopefully like JT McNamara the jockey hurt at Cheltenham, hope Ryder's injuries aren't as severe though and he is fine in the longterm.

Days of Grace

International Captain
That is just so ****ed, but somehow it doesn't surprise me. Nothing really does anymore, such is the ****iness of the human race.

Without knowing any details, I wish Jesse all the best. Will make it even sweeter when he scores a ton on his test return.

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
...you can get that sort of injury falling of a bicycle. There is no need for pointless speculation: let the "24 hour news cycle" play itself out.

My thoughts with Ryder and family. Was gonna post something in the Ross Taylor thread, but this seems to dwarf any problems that NZ cricket has at the moment. Truly dreadful stuff.
And falling off a bicycle and landing on your head is not a serious injury? Canadian wrestler Bret Hart suffered a stroke after falling off his bike. The guy also has a collapsed lung according to some reports, meaning there was likely penetrating trauma to his chest- not the kind of injury one sustains during a regular punch up.