• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Right Kiwis, Hand On Heart: Fulton/Rutherford - Do You Believe?

Do you believe?

• Total voters

Kapil

Cricket Spectator
I've been saying since Fulton was unceremoniously dumped from the side he should be in there. I remember the 2006/07 Chappell Hadlee match at Hamilton (Matty Hayden 181*), and Peter Fulton was the forgotten hero of the match. He was superb.

And with Rutherford, I've been saying since well before he was ready he should be there. He made a double ton at Seddon Park a couple of seasons ago, and frankly, I've never seen an innings like it. You get people score 200's where they look scratchy for periods of 20-30 runs, or even longer in some cases, but Rutherford was fantastic. Dominated from start to finish.

And thank Christ bloody M.J. Guptill is gone. I may treasure the match ball from his 122* on ODI debut, but he hasn't done jack **** since that time.

Mike5181

International Captain
Guptill's actually a bit overrated in ODIs. When you factor in his fielding, he's a useful player. But he averages 29 against non-minnows.

Kapil

Cricket Spectator
Guptill's actually a bit overrated in ODIs. When you factor in his fielding, he's a useful player. But he averages 29 against non-minnows.
I had a good chat with Mark Richardson a while back (after the SA tour last season), and he agreed with all my statistical points, and said Guppy should piss off. And let's face it, with Neesham, Williamson, McCullum, McCullum, Taylor, Anderson, Munro and co all around the One Day team, fielding isn't a priority.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Here's a simple way of working the Guptill thing out.

Is he one of the top 6 batsmen in the country?

No.

Mike5181

International Captain
Here's a simple way of working the Guptill thing out.

Is he one of the top 6 batsmen in the country?

No.
Even if you wanted Guptill in the middle-order there's a pretty good case for both Ronchi and Broom to be ahead of him. Throw in Ryder in a year or so, and Guptill's some way down the list. That's not to say he wouldn't score more runs if he moved into the middle-order, he probably would.

Mike5181

International Captain
I had a good chat with Mark Richardson a while back (after the SA tour last season), and he agreed with all my statistical points, and said Guppy should piss off. And let's face it, with Neesham, Williamson, McCullum, McCullum, Taylor, Anderson, Munro and co all around the One Day team, fielding isn't a priority.
Is Munro considered a good fielder? I actually thought Munro looked a bit uncoordinated in the field during his time in internationals. Admittedly I can't remember if he did much wrong. He was brilliant in the Ford Trophy final the other day though.

Kapil

Cricket Spectator
Is Munro considered a good fielder? I actually thought Munro looked a bit uncoordinated in the field during his time in internationals. Admittedly I can't remember if he did much wrong. He was brilliant in the Ford Trophy final the other day though.
He's what one might term "at or above average". Which is all you really need in a side like that.

Jezroy

State Captain
And worryingly, that is enough to make him important in our limited overs teams.

Jezroy

State Captain
He certainly looked head and shoulders above the rest of our opening options in the last series against England.
This. Especially when he came back later on in Hamilton... You know, lower down the order :ph34r:

jcas0167

International Debutant
This. Especially when he came back later on in Hamilton... You know, lower down the order :ph34r:
It was the way he smoked it when he came back in that innings that made me think he could be like Astle in the middle order. I think the plan was in 2010 for him to develop his off-spin to better justify his move down the order, but that seems to have been shelved. Can't remember him bowling much in recent times.

re: Southee in the slips - I agree he looked pretty good there. Anderson & Botham spring to mind as pace bowlers who have been good slippers.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It was the way he smoked it when he came back in that innings that made me think he could be like Astle in the middle order. I think the plan was in 2010 for him to develop his off-spin to better justify his move down the order, but that seems to have been shelved. Can't remember him bowling much in recent times.

re: Southee in the slips - I agree he looked pretty good there. Anderson & Botham spring to mind as pace bowlers who have been good slippers.
did they/do they go to fine leg when they're bowling or slip?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It's okay for gullies and fourth slips but your first three really can't be full time bowlers if you want a trusting and consistent cordon.