• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Right Kiwis, Hand On Heart: Fulton/Rutherford - Do You Believe?

Do you believe?

• Total voters

jcas0167

International Debutant
Well Guptil has to try something different if he wants to make a go of test cricket.

However I note his SR in tests is 43 so he wouldn't make for a dynamic number 5 unless he decided to adjust his approach.
Was doing ok at 5 when tried there against Australia in 2010. I think he could be very good in that position. Plus, his fielding/catching is invaluable.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
fielding should not factor into at all unless you're replacing him with someone completely unco.

with the young players that we have, it's more a coaching issue than anything else.

Jezroy

State Captain
Was doing ok at 5 when tried there against Australia in 2010. I think he could be very good in that position. Plus, his fielding/catching is invaluable.
Yes - his fielding/catching is important

At 5 he has played 3 tests - 2 50's and a big hundred. Yes, the big hundred was against Bangladesh, but it was against them when we were 158/5. I think number 5 suits him better than opening at the moment.

Whether there is an opening there for him there is another matter.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yes - his fielding/catching is important

At 5 he has played 3 tests - 2 50's and a big hundred. Yes, the big hundred was against Bangladesh, but it was against them when we were 158/5. I think number 5 suits him better than opening at the moment.

Whether there is an opening there for him there is another matter.
I think he could be like Astle at no5, such a clean striker.

Flem274*

123/5
There is no way in hell Guptill should be playing test cricket as a middle order batsman ahead of Brownlie in the near or medium future, and probably not the far future either.

Jezroy

State Captain
There is no way in hell Guptill should be playing test cricket as a middle order batsman ahead of Brownlie in the near or medium future, and probably not the far future either.
Devil's Advocate - Most people said similar about McCullum batting 5/6 instead of opening.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I want Brownlee to score another couple of 75+ scores when the match is still alive before I am sold on him. I think he has been given a slightly easy ride by some NZ posters.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Devil's Advocate - Most people said similar about McCullum batting 5/6 instead of opening.
That was for balance reasons though to ensure all your best batsmen were playing; not because people straight up didn't think McCullum was better than Brownlie or Flynn or whoever. Certainly in my case anyway.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he could be like Astle at no5, such a clean striker.
He never loses the mechanical rigidity in his ballstriking though tbf, and he's committed himself to the wrong philosophical faction to leave the weight of 83 years of failure behind and let his colours burst. "When the chips are down, when the highs are low, joyride" - McCullum (c). Munro (janitor).

You could always let that nerve-wracking little three-footer fall into the back edge of the cup by picking him as a spinner, that's been proven to loosen up the pipe.

Todd Astle, "Plunket Fire" - YouTube

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
fielding should not factor into at all unless you're replacing him with someone completely unco.

with the young players that we have, it's more a coaching issue than anything else.
On fielding, it's hard to deny that our slip cordon is a bit of a mess at the moment (went back and did a scan for the words "drop" and "chance" in our matches since the Windies tour - 20 missed chances in 10 games. Of course I'm not sure whether that's bad relatively speaking, but it's certainly not good). Even so, I agree that Guptill shouldn't be picked because of his catchnig, especially given that even he was prone to dropping a couple here and there.

On a semi-related note, Southee did a decent job in the slips during the last test, should he perhaps make a more permanent move there?

Flem274*

123/5
Name Guptill in the squad and keep him on for every over in the field as the sub fielder.

Can you even do that? Sub fielder rule should definitely be a rule ripe for abuse.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
On fielding, it's hard to deny that our slip cordon is a bit of a mess at the moment (went back and did a scan for the words "drop" and "chance" in our matches since the Windies tour - 20 missed chances in 10 games. Of course I'm not sure whether that's bad relatively speaking, but it's certainly not good). Even so, I agree that Guptill shouldn't be picked because of his catchnig, especially given that even he was prone to dropping a couple here and there.

On a semi-related note, Southee did a decent job in the slips during the last test, should he perhaps make a more permanent move there?
If you're after consistency in the cordon then having a frontline bowler in there regularly isn't a good idea, too in and out. He can stay gully or fourth though.