• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Right Kiwis, Hand On Heart: Fulton/Rutherford - Do You Believe?

Do you believe?

• Total voters

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
guptil's defensive system is flawed thus he always gets out.

But he has a ***y straight drive - and some other classy shots that give the illusion of a good technique.

well, yeah, but every batsman's straight drive looks ***y.

The problem is that he tries to play a straight drive to every ball.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Ruthers, probably. Fulton, not yet, but I hope he proves me wrong as he did in this series.

GGG

State Captain
I would like to believe Rutherford will have the goods but like most NZ cricket fans I have seen many players hyped up to become the next best thing only to fizzle away. I hope Fulton will continue his form but against quality bowlers on a moving deck I think he will be shown up.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well Guptil has to try something different if he wants to make a go of test cricket.

However I note his SR in tests is 43 so he wouldn't make for a dynamic number 5 unless he decided to adjust his approach.

Jezroy

State Captain
Well Guptil has to try something different if he wants to make a go of test cricket.

However I note his SR in tests is 43 so he wouldn't make for a dynamic number 5 unless he decided to adjust his approach.
Exactly. Both points I agree with.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

Nah, Guptill knows that his best chance to make it as an international cricketer is opening. Going to number 5 isn't going to improve his chances at all because the expectations and competition rise so much. Not to mention he's the kind of guy who won't quit once he's got his mind set on something.

Jezroy

State Captain
Nah, Guptill knows that his best chance to make it as an international cricketer is opening. Going to number 5 isn't going to improve his chances at all because the expectations and competition rise so much. Not to mention he's the kind of guy who won't quit once he's got his mind set on something.
Like bagging McGoldrick?

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
As far as im concerned Guptill can keep the **** away from test cricket. For the first time since the mid Flemming era we have a relatively stable team.

What we do need is an opener in ODI cricket who can score runs quickly. If he can work on rotating the strike and scoring runs quickly against the swinging ball he will add so much more to the Black Caps than just being a shoddy test opener. As far as being a number 5s, Neil Broom, Daryl Mitchell and Latham are all only half a good season away from selection, and McCullum and Watling are both capable of moving up a slot to let Ronchi come in at 7.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
As far as im concerned Guptill can keep the **** away from test cricket. For the first time since the mid Flemming era we have a relatively stable team.

What we do need is an opener in ODI cricket who can score runs quickly. If he can work on rotating the strike and scoring runs quickly against the swinging ball he will add so much more to the Black Caps than just being a shoddy test opener. As far as being a number 5s, Neil Broom, Daryl Mitchell and Latham are all only half a good season away from selection, and McCullum and Watling are both capable of moving up a slot to let Ronchi come in at 7.
There's different concepts here.

There is what is best for Martin Guptill and it was from that angle I made my post.

And there is what is best for the NZ cricket team which is different.