Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: CW Stock Exchange Project

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    A good way to show the fluctuations of a players 'favourability' is to index them like a stock market. Like companies on the stock exchange, a players value will go up and down depending on a number of factors.

Form undoubtedly plays the biggest part in the trending of a players value, however these aren't the only factors. Injuries, discipline, career life cycle are just some of the variables which play a part in determining a players value.

I have come up with an idea to provide a stock exchange to discuss and i guess map a players career trajectory. I have started with the Australian team.

Australian players share price value (pre tour of India price shown in brackets)

David Warner - 12.60 (14.50)
    Ed Cowan - 9.80 (8.20)
    Phil Hughes - 10.50 (13.30)
    Shane Watson - 10.70 (18.90)
    Michael Clarke - 27.50 (28.90)
    Matthew Wade - 6.30 (8.50)
    Moises Henriques - 5.50 (3.20)
    Mitchell Starc - 12.20 (13.40)
    James Pattinson - 20.30 (steady)
    Peter Siddle - 14.50 (15.90)
    Nathan Lyon - 11.50 (13.50)
    Xavier Doherty - 3.20 (4.10)
    Brad Haddin - 11.30 (10.50)
    Jackson Bird - 11.40 (12.00)
    Steve Smith - 10.60 (5.50)
    Usman Khawaja - 4.50 (9.50)
    Mitchell Johnson - 4.50 (6.50)

I welcome discussion surrounding these prices and changes in price as well as calling upon people to do a price list for other countries or players (doesn't necessarily have to be international players, however players who are merely state level should be priced accordingly).

The goal is to have a comprehensive list of all the major players in international and domestic cricket.

Please use my pricing as a guide if you want to price your own team, for example don't put Kane Williamson as $30 considering Michael Clarke is only at 27.5.

CW STOCK EXCHANGE - THE GAME (an optional extra)

This is a simple premise that works the same way that a stock exchange works, or indeed a fantasy sports competition works, in that value of players fluctuate depending on their recent performance or other variables. The idea is to make the most money after you are given an allowance to invest. Each player is assigned a sum of money to invest in the stock exchange. At the end of every week (interval negotiable), players values will be updated to reflect their current worth.

Ideally you want to buy low and sell high. However for every batch (not every single) of transactions you make there will be a brokerage fee incurred, to prevent constant trading.

There will be a time frame (for example two months) and everyone starts at the same time with the same amount of money. You can make as little or as many trades as you want, and at the end of that period, the player with the most money will win.

You can buy as many shares in a player as you want (depending on your budget). So you can say you want to buy 10 Michael Clarkes and 4 Warners for example.

I won't be running this because I cbf, but it's an option if there ever is a comprehensive list of player values is established
    I love you benchy
    This is the best thing I have ever seen on CW. I guess we should just tie the stock price of a player with the ICC rankings. It'd work perfectly fine
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    also what's sachin price nowadays
    priced $108.3 on the csx site, while legends of the game like lumb are 798 per share

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    players are gonna need to provide the market information on anything which would negatively affect their price. also would be interested in certain players performance estimates
    Haha, well continuous disclosure laws have changed!

Shane Watson would have had to disclose that he was weighing up his future!

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    So the Keynesians want Cricket Australia to hand out as many Test caps as possible.
    The neoliberals want CA to have nothing to do with selection, and let the fans decide.
    Marxists want the players gone and to take their places.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    look at these nerds destroy the thread
    Said the CEO of Lehmann Brothers in 2006.

Btw, this is surely going to raise social media interest of cricket feeds on Twitter and Facebook. People looking for early bird information.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    So the Keynesians want Cricket Australia to hand out as many Test caps as possible.
    The neoliberals want CA to have nothing to do with selection, and let the fans decide.
    Marxists want the players gone and to take their places.

To be fair, the Marxists would probably just want each player to be paid the same, and more players being given a "fair" chance at test cricket.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    wonder what my ipo will be.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    That's actually pretty good. I particularly like the ICC ranking aspect as it takes the human element out.
    The ICC ranking could be used as some form of value for established players but that doesn't take into account batting and bowling or débutantes.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Yes upon reflection it wouldn't be what I'd be aiming at because it ignores a lot of external variables (like discipline, selection likelihood etc etc). But it could be a useful tool to find a starting point for a lot of players.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

where'd you get the inspiration o wise one
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Opened a fortune cookie that said 'you will find peace in new thread' and next thing I know I was typing this reply.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post

To be fair, the Marxists would probably just want each player to be paid the same, and more players being given a "fair" chance at test cricket.
    Yeah, and for the players to revolt against the selectors every so often.

And I'm out of economic theories; haven't got to Institutional Economics yet and I cbf applying Smith and Ricardo to it.

Actually, Ricardo would probably ask India to provide the middle order batsmen, Pakistan the left arm quicks, South Africa the fieldsmen, England the openers, the West Indies the right arm quicks and Australia the top order. Makes for a more efficient team.

Opened a fortune cookie that said 'you will find peace in new thread' and next thing I know I was typing this reply.
    sure it didn't say "man with holes in pants pockets, feels cocky all day"?

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Said the CEO of Lehmann Brothers in 2006.
    I think we've found a new company name (Boof's endorsement tomorrow).
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Yeah, and for the players to revolt against the selectors every so often.

And I'm out of economic theories; haven't got to Institutional Economics yet and I cbf applying Smith and Ricardo to it.

Actually, Ricardo would probably ask India to provide the middle order batsmen, Pakistan the left arm quicks, South Africa the fieldsmen, England the openers, the West Indies the right arm quicks and Australia the top order. Makes for a more efficient team.
    Malthus would be aghast that we were using pieces of wood, leather and huge spaces that could be used for more productive ends.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information