• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Stock Exchange Project

Quaggas

State Captain
****, I know people who would prolly pay to observe an experiment like this; problem is it's long term (tied to the typical cricketer's career).

centurymaker

International Captain
A good way to show the fluctuations of a players 'favourability' is to index them like a stock market. Like companies on the stock exchange, a players value will go up and down depending on a number of factors.

Form undoubtedly plays the biggest part in the trending of a players value, however these aren't the only factors. Injuries, discipline, career life cycle are just some of the variables which play a part in determining a players value.

I have come up with an idea to provide a stock exchange to discuss and i guess map a players career trajectory. I have started with the Australian team.

Australian players share price value (pre tour of India price shown in brackets)

David Warner - 12.60 (14.50)
Ed Cowan - 9.80 (8.20)
Phil Hughes - 10.50 (13.30)
Shane Watson - 10.70 (18.90)
Michael Clarke - 27.50 (28.90)
Matthew Wade - 6.30 (8.50)
Moises Henriques - 5.50 (3.20)
Mitchell Starc - 12.20 (13.40)
James Pattinson - 20.30 (steady)
Peter Siddle - 14.50 (15.90)
Nathan Lyon - 11.50 (13.50)
Xavier Doherty - 3.20 (4.10)
Brad Haddin - 11.30 (10.50)
Jackson Bird - 11.40 (12.00)
Steve Smith - 10.60 (5.50)
Usman Khawaja - 4.50 (9.50)
Mitchell Johnson - 4.50 (6.50)

I welcome discussion surrounding these prices and changes in price as well as calling upon people to do a price list for other countries or players (doesn't necessarily have to be international players, however players who are merely state level should be priced accordingly).

The goal is to have a comprehensive list of all the major players in international and domestic cricket.

Please use my pricing as a guide if you want to price your own team, for example don't put Kane Williamson as $30 considering Michael Clarke is only at 27.5.

CW STOCK EXCHANGE - THE GAME (an optional extra)

This is a simple premise that works the same way that a stock exchange works, or indeed a fantasy sports competition works, in that value of players fluctuate depending on their recent performance or other variables. The idea is to make the most money after you are given an allowance to invest. Each player is assigned a sum of money to invest in the stock exchange. At the end of every week (interval negotiable), players values will be updated to reflect their current worth.

Ideally you want to buy low and sell high. However for every batch (not every single) of transactions you make there will be a brokerage fee incurred, to prevent constant trading.

There will be a time frame (for example two months) and everyone starts at the same time with the same amount of money. You can make as little or as many trades as you want, and at the end of that period, the player with the most money will win.

You can buy as many shares in a player as you want (depending on your budget). So you can say you want to buy 10 Michael Clarkes and 4 Warners for example.

I won't be running this because I cbf, but it's an option if there ever is a comprehensive list of player values is established
I love you benchy :wub: :p
This is the best thing I have ever seen on CW. I guess we should just tie the stock price of a player with the ICC rankings. It'd work perfectly fine :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
players are gonna need to provide the market information on anything which would negatively affect their price. also would be interested in certain players performance estimates
Haha, well continuous disclosure laws have changed!

Shane Watson would have had to disclose that he was weighing up his future!

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So the Keynesians want Cricket Australia to hand out as many Test caps as possible.
The neoliberals want CA to have nothing to do with selection, and let the fans decide.
Marxists want the players gone and to take their places.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
look at these nerds destroy the thread
Said the CEO of Lehmann Brothers in 2006.

Btw, this is surely going to raise social media interest of cricket feeds on Twitter and Facebook. People looking for early bird information.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So the Keynesians want Cricket Australia to hand out as many Test caps as possible.
The neoliberals want CA to have nothing to do with selection, and let the fans decide.
Marxists want the players gone and to take their places.
:laugh:

To be fair, the Marxists would probably just want each player to be paid the same, and more players being given a "fair" chance at test cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's actually pretty good. I particularly like the ICC ranking aspect as it takes the human element out.
The ICC ranking could be used as some form of value for established players but that doesn't take into account batting and bowling or débutantes.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes upon reflection it wouldn't be what I'd be aiming at because it ignores a lot of external variables (like discipline, selection likelihood etc etc). But it could be a useful tool to find a starting point for a lot of players.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Opened a fortune cookie that said 'you will find peace in new thread' and next thing I know I was typing this reply.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

To be fair, the Marxists would probably just want each player to be paid the same, and more players being given a "fair" chance at test cricket.
Yeah, and for the players to revolt against the selectors every so often.

And I'm out of economic theories; haven't got to Institutional Economics yet and I cbf applying Smith and Ricardo to it.

Actually, Ricardo would probably ask India to provide the middle order batsmen, Pakistan the left arm quicks, South Africa the fieldsmen, England the openers, the West Indies the right arm quicks and Australia the top order. Makes for a more efficient team.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Yeah, and for the players to revolt against the selectors every so often.

And I'm out of economic theories; haven't got to Institutional Economics yet and I cbf applying Smith and Ricardo to it.

Actually, Ricardo would probably ask India to provide the middle order batsmen, Pakistan the left arm quicks, South Africa the fieldsmen, England the openers, the West Indies the right arm quicks and Australia the top order. Makes for a more efficient team.
Malthus would be aghast that we were using pieces of wood, leather and huge spaces that could be used for more productive ends.