• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Bowler

Greatest Bolwer of All

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Wanted to do this for a while. We have done greatest spinner (won by Warne), greatest pacer (Marshall came out on top), but never the greatest bolwer overall. There also seems to be a recent swell of support for Lillee on the site, plus without the restriction of pace or spin that may help Barnes as well. Of course there is always Murali so really interested to see how this one would turn out.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yup purely bowling, nothing else. Wanted this done before greatest cricketer, which we did not too long ago, but nevermind.

All for fun.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a tough one really. Barnes, Marshall, McGrath, Warne and Murali are the main contenders I'm looking at.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
For me its between Warne and Marshall, brilliant home and away and cornerstones of the two greatest teams ever.

Satyanash89

Banned
Voted for Warne. I'm surprised Murali has 4 votes and Warne had none before mine. There's nothing between Murali and Warne stayistically if you remove Bangladesh NZ against whom Warne didn't play much. The poll should honestly reflect how close it actually is, but so far it doesn't.

Warne's the most complete bowler I can think of... A hoard of wickets, great overall stats everywhere except India, one of the best ever big match performers, aesthetically just perfect (imo THE most elegant bowling action ever), and he mastered what's considered to be the most difficult form of bowling. The way he used a specific plan to work over any batsman put in front of him (as long as he wasn't Indian :ph34r:) was one of the great joys of watching cricket for me. His ability to use all the tools at his disposal, the big leg break, the crazy drift, the best flipper of any spinner ever(pre-injury) , the deadly slider, and last but not least get into the batsman's head and screw with his concentration while for the most part not going overboard with the sledging, all made him fascinating to watch.

So while I think that old argument of Warne being some sort of "savior of spin bowling " is utter nonsense, I do think he was utterly special. How many truly great leg spinners had made it to ATG level before Warne? One or two maybe and I wager it'll be ages before we see a leg spinner as good as him.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Voted for Warne. I'm surprised Murali has 4 votes and Warne had none before mine. There's nothing between Murali and Warne stayistically if you remove Bangladesh NZ against whom Warne didn't play much. The poll should honestly reflect how close it actually is, but so far it doesn't.

Warne's the most complete bowler I can think of... A hoard of wickets, great overall stats everywhere except India, one of the best ever big match performers, aesthetically just perfect (imo THE most elegant bowling action ever), and he mastered what's considered to be the most difficult form of bowling. The way he used a specific plan to work over any batsman put in front of him (as long as he wasn't Indian :ph34r:) was one of the great joys of watching cricket for me. His ability to use all the tools at his disposal, the big leg break, the crazy drift, the best flipper of any spinner ever(pre-injury) , the deadly slider, and last but not least get into the batsman's head and screw with his concentration while for the most part not going overboard with the sledging, all made him fascinating to watch.

So while I think that old argument of Warne being some sort of "savior of spin bowling " is utter nonsense, I do think he was utterly special. How many truly great leg spinners had made it to ATG level before Warne? One or two maybe and I wager it'll be ages before we see a leg spinner as good as him.
Let's not do this again :p Let people who like Murali better vote for him

Satyanash89

Banned
Let's not do this again :p Let people who like Murali better vote for him
When did I ever say people can't vote for Murali? I don't know what you gathered from my post... I myself find it difficult to separate the two, I merely expressed my surprise at no one voting for Warne that's all

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When did I ever say people can't vote for Murali? I don't know what you gathered from my post... I myself find it difficult to separate the two, I merely expressed my surprise at no one voting for Warne that's all
You are correct. Wearing bias glasses, it seems. Apologies.