• Dale Steyn

4 4.76%
  • Other

1 1.19%
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Bowler

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    Voted for Warne. I'm surprised Murali has 4 votes and Warne had none before mine. There's nothing between Murali and Warne stayistically if you remove Bangladesh NZ against whom Warne didn't play much. The poll should honestly reflect how close it actually is, but so far it doesn't.

Warne's the most complete bowler I can think of... A hoard of wickets, great overall stats everywhere except India, one of the best ever big match performers, aesthetically just perfect (imo THE most elegant bowling action ever), and he mastered what's considered to be the most difficult form of bowling. The way he used a specific plan to work over any batsman put in front of him (as long as he wasn't Indian ) was one of the great joys of watching cricket for me. His ability to use all the tools at his disposal, the big leg break, the crazy drift, the best flipper of any spinner ever(pre-injury) , the deadly slider, and last but not least get into the batsman's head and screw with his concentration while for the most part not going overboard with the sledging, all made him fascinating to watch.

So while I think that old argument of Warne being some sort of "savior of spin bowling " is utter nonsense, I do think he was utterly special. How many truly great leg spinners had made it to ATG level before Warne? One or two maybe and I wager it'll be ages before we see a leg spinner as good as him.
    Let's not do this again Let people who like Murali better vote for him
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Let's not do this again Let people who like Murali better vote for him
    When did I ever say people can't vote for Murali? I don't know what you gathered from my post... I myself find it difficult to separate the two, I merely expressed my surprise at no one voting for Warne that's all

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    When did I ever say people can't vote for Murali? I don't know what you gathered from my post... I myself find it difficult to separate the two, I merely expressed my surprise at no one voting for Warne that's all
    You are correct. Wearing bias glasses, it seems. Apologies.

Banned
    top6

akram
    marshall
    hadlee
    murali
    sfb
    lillee

followed by
    mcgrath
    warne
    trueman
    donald
    ambrose
    imran
    waquar

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by sobers no:1 View Post
    top6

akram
    marshall
    hadlee
    murali
    sfb
    lillee

followed by
    mcgrath
    warne
    trueman
    donald
    ambrose
    imran
    waquar
    No Prctr? I am surprised

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sobers no:1 View Post
    top6

akram
    marshall
    hadlee
    murali
    sfb
    lillee

followed by
    mcgrath
    warne
    trueman
    donald
    ambrose
    imran
    waquar
    Steyn makes it into that list if Donald does. And I'm not sure Ambrose shouldn't be in the first group.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

U19 12th Man
    Between Marshall, McGrath, Murali and Hadlee for me. Ambrose can be compared to McGrath but I can't see a dimension in which I could put him over Marshall, whereas McGrath at least has a noticeable number of wickets more than Marshall and remained successful even in the batting friendly 2000s. Hadlee gets in for amazing consistency even as a lone wolf in a smaller team.

In the end went for Murali probably a bit on bias but mainly because to take 800 wickets at 22 is phenomenal and he turned a small team into a team that once became ranked 2 officially. Apart from in Australia he generally seized limited chances abroad with memorable performances, and at home he was able to win matches for SL at the SSC which was and is so flat.

U19 Debutant
    M Marshall- deadly in all conditions, no matter how flat the wicket

after him I would divide it into tiers, with all players within a tier being on a similar level:

tier 2 wasim, hadlee, mcgrath, ambrose

tier 3 holding, roberts, garner, walsh, lillee, imran, warne, muralitharan, donald, steyn

tier 4 kapil, jeff thompson, bedi, kumble, waqar
    Last edited by dhillon28; 27-03-2013 at 04:56 AM.
    All Time Test XI:

Openers: S.Gavaskar V.Sehwag Middle Order: V.Richards S.Tendulkar B.Lara All Rounders: G.Sobers I Khan (C) WK: A.Gilchrist Bowlers: W.Akram M.Marshall M.Muralitharan

All Time ODI XI:

WK: A.Gilchrist S.Tendulkar V.Richards R. Ponting M. Dhoni M. Bevan Allrounder: K.Dev Bowlers: W.Akram J. Garner M.Muralitharan G. McGrath

International Captain
    I vote for Dennis Lillee just so he can be temporarily ahead of Imran Khan before his groupies start voting.

U19 12th Man
    Voted for Warne. I'm surprised Murali has 4 votes and Warne had none before mine. There's nothing between Murali and Warne stayistically if you remove Bangladesh NZ against whom Warne didn't play much. The poll should honestly reflect how close it actually is, but so far it doesn't.

Warne's the most complete bowler I can think of... A hoard of wickets, great overall stats everywhere except India, one of the best ever big match performers, aesthetically just perfect (imo THE most elegant bowling action ever), and he mastered what's considered to be the most difficult form of bowling. The way he used a specific plan to work over any batsman put in front of him (as long as he wasn't Indian ) was one of the great joys of watching cricket for me. His ability to use all the tools at his disposal, the big leg break, the crazy drift, the best flipper of any spinner ever(pre-injury) , the deadly slider, and last but not least get into the batsman's head and screw with his concentration while for the most part not going overboard with the sledging, all made him fascinating to watch.

So while I think that old argument of Warne being some sort of "savior of spin bowling "
    is utter nonsense, I do think he was utterly special. How many truly great leg spinners had made it to ATG level before Warne? One or two maybe and I wager it'll be ages before we see a leg spinner as good as him.
    True but Warne has some big limitations compared to other ATG bowlers. He failed against India both home and away and was fortunate not to have to face his own batting line up, who were the 2nd best players of spin in the era. Then compared to the other bowlers his average is over 25 which is quite high for an ATG, and he took a large percentage of tailenders compared to someone like McGrath.

Having watched both him and McGrath in the same team I can say that McGrath is clearly the more valuable bowler. Performed well in all conditions, hardly any bad matches or batsman dominating him, took his wickets much cheaper than Warne despite bowling to higher quality batsman.

Oohh Ahhh Glenn Mcgrath!

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    True but Warne has some big limitations compared to other ATG bowlers. He failed against India both home and away and was fortunate not to have to face his own batting line up, who were the 2nd best players of spin in the era. Then compared to the other bowlers his average is over 25 which is quite high for an ATG, and he took a large percentage of tailenders compared to someone like McGrath.

Having watched both him and McGrath in the same team I can say that McGrath is clearly the more valuable bowler. Performed well in all conditions, hardly any bad matches or batsman dominating him, took his wickets much cheaper than Warne despite bowling to higher quality batsman.
    outstanding analysis of Warne, I have always been astounded as to how many people simply overlook the fact that he never had to face Australia (definitely the second best players of spin during his time). I can imagine Hayden and Gilly taking him to the cleaners. I also reckon Michael clarke, m hussey, darren Lehman would all play him comfortably and he would not be as effective as he was against NZ, RSA and England.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    if done totally objectively, then murali. Otherwise, there's so many awesome bowlers to choose from...
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

As much as I'd love to give it to my countryman Sir Dick, I just can't go past the late great Malcolm Marshall. Hadlee's a definite second though.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Warne, unlike Murfali didn't come on after five overs and didn't always come on first change as they had good fast bolwers who would take better advantage of the new ball and take some of the top order wickets before Warne came on. When compared to all other leg spinners since WW2 and covered pitches his numbers are surreal and just unbelievable. Where he separates himself againts Murali is that while he didn't bowl in the most spin friendly conditions at home apart from the SCG, he actually averages less playing away from home than at home, while Murali played in the most spin friendly conditions at home and averaged 19 at home (Warne himself averaged 20 with a s/r of 39 in Sri Lanka) compared to 27 away from home. Warne like Marshall proved that they could dominate at home and away while Murali showed that he was overly dependent on his home tracks.
    Then they are the minnows, averaging 13 againts Bangladesh and 16 vs Zimbabwe certainly helped his stats while taking 176 wickets agints them.
    Murali like Hadlee basically had his run of most batting lineups from top to tail while Warne like Marshall had to compete for wickets.
    800 is similar to 99.94 in it's dominance, but the numbers bear closer inspection and for me Warne definately comes out on top. His mental strength, his cricketing mind, his variations and his domination of the most difficult art of cricket just sealed it for me.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information