• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Bowler

Greatest Bolwer of All

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
My old man always took the view that you had to look at Botham as a complete package, and that the bad times were the price you had to pay for the good ones, and that if Sir Beefy had practiced as assiduously as Geoff Boycott he'd have batted like Boycs and bowled like Mike Hendrick, and we'd never have seen Headingley '81 or any of the other great days. Now that was the sort of pragmatic thinking that characterised him, and he was probably right, but I'm a bit more of a romantic, and I've never been able to get the idea out of my head that with a modicum of effort he could have knuckled down in 1985 and gone on to become a very fine batsman indeed, but the one certainty is we'll never know
Its worth pointing out that if Botham had kept a fitness regime like Boycott did he'd have probably lasted a bit longer too anyway.

the big bambino

International Captain
My old man always took the view that you had to look at Botham as a complete package, and that the bad times were the price you had to pay for the good ones, and that if Sir Beefy had practiced as assiduously as Geoff Boycott he'd have batted like Boycs and bowled like Mike Hendrick, and we'd never have seen Headingley '81 or any of the other great days. Now that was the sort of pragmatic thinking that characterised him, and he was probably right, but I'm a bit more of a romantic, and I've never been able to get the idea out of my head that with a modicum of effort he could have knuckled down in 1985 and gone on to become a very fine batsman indeed, but the one certainty is we'll never know
I believe your old man has nailed it Fred. Personality and character is as big an influence on a man's performance as talent. A combination of his personal flaws and cricketing talent gave you exactly the direction his career took. He gave you Headingley its a bit much to dream about him becoming a great batsman too. :)