• Dale Steyn

4 4.76%
  • Other

1 1.19%
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Bowler

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    This guy is an old friend of CW - he'll be gone when PEWS catches up with him so I suggest nobody risks getting infracted in the meantime
    Welcome back SobersNo1. We'd missed you and your insights in to the game.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Hey I wanted to be first with the Precam jokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Spectator
    the greatest quicks ever are 1.ambrose 2.marshall 2.walsh 4.mcgrath and 5.Garner.in that order
    Dream Team since 1970-2012 1.Smith 2.Hayden 3.Ponting (C) 4.Lara 5.Richards 6.Kallis 7.Gilchrist(WK) 8.Warne 9.Ambrose 10.Lillee 11.McGrath 12th man Tendulkar

Dream Team 1870-1970 1.Hobbs 2.Hutton 3.Bradman (C) 4.Hammond 5.Miller 6.Sobers 7.Oldield(WK)8.Lindwall 9.Trueman 10.Barnes 11.O'Reilly 12th man Weekes

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffboycott View Post
    the greatest quicks ever are 1.ambrose 2.marshall 2.walsh 4.mcgrath and 5.Garner.in that order
    Now I've seen it all.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Now I've seen it all.
    That list of top 5 quicks is OK. Can't say I disagree much, or even want to.
    "I strongly feel the ICC should take action to ban the doosra since it just cannot be bowled legally. Ashley Mallett has said the 'doosra is nothing but chucking' and Australian spinners, including Shane Warne, have raised an alarm against coaching it in Australia." - BISHAN BEDI (2010)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Now I've seen it all.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    That list of top 5 quicks is OK. Can't say I disagree much, or even want to.
    Courtney Walsh a better bowler than McGrath or Garner? And on equal footing with Marshall?

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Courtney Walsh a better bowler than McGrath or Garner? And on equal footing with Marshall?
    IMO Differences in player rankings are generally determined on how much weight is given to the following categories by the person performing the ranking;

1. 'Great'
    2. 'Best'
    3. 'Direct' Stat's like Average or Strike Rate
    4. 'Indirect' Stat's like Longevity

Obviously if you value 'Longevity' then this will increase the 'Greatness' of Courtney Walsh. And of course, if 'Greatness' is valued more than 'Best' then Walsh will climb the rankings and appear in the Top 5.

Personally, I prefer 'Best' and 'Direct' Stat's, but there is no right or wrong here.

Courtney Walsh is terribly under-appreciated. Brilliant quick bowler.

Walsh always did dirty work for his more illustrious colleagues. While Ambrose and Marshall bowled most of there balls up to the batsmen to get wickets, Walsh was made to intimidate batsmen by bowling persistently short at them.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Walsh always did dirty work for his more illustrious colleagues. While Ambrose and Marshall bowled most of there balls up to the batsmen to get wickets, Walsh was made to intimidate batsmen by bowling persistently short at them.
    Really? That's not how I remember him, although I was a kid at the time.

I always remember him as a very accurate off stump type bowler, bowling in to the wind while Ambrose bowled with it. Always seemed to have one of the best personalities as well. Seemed like a happy guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Really? That's not how I remember him, although I was a kid at the time.

I always remember him as a very accurate off stump type bowler, bowling in to the wind while Ambrose bowled with it. Always seemed to have one of the best personalities as well. Seemed like a happy guy.
    Yup, could be aggressive at times but he replaced Garner for the most part as the into the wind work horse stock bowler.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Debutant
    Look Walsh was alright but there's a reason he lived in Ambrose's shadow. I remember a tight series in 96/97 when an injury to Ambrose gave us the break we were looking for. All of a sudden the series was busted wide open. No pressure and with Walsh leading the attack - well lets just say he looked all alone and badly out numbered. Same with Bishop.

Walsh did the dirty work bcos he wasn't good enough to be the lead man. Can't help but feel he was made to look good associated with a group of glamour fast bowlers. Longevity is admirable but lets not parlay it into greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Look Walsh was alright but there's a reason he lived in Ambrose's shadow. I remember a tight series in 96/97 when an injury to Ambrose gave us the break we were looking for. All of a sudden the series was busted wide open. No pressure and with Walsh leading the attack - well lets just say he looked all alone and badly out numbered. Same with Bishop.

Walsh did the dirty work bcos he wasn't good enough to be the lead man. Can't help but feel he was made to look good associated with a group of glamour fast bowlers. Longevity is admirable but lets not parlay it into greatness.
    Yes Walsh was great, not in the same league as the other gentlemen being mentioned. He did get better with age though, which was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post

I rate what you post generally, but this seems a bit OTT to me. Walsh was a great fast bowler.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information