• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Bowler

Greatest Bolwer of All

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Geoffboycott

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
His wicket taking record over his whole career is brilliant. Always gets out the main batsman. Hes the Second highest wicket taking off spinner behind only murali. So I'm not just going from one series. If he gets back in the test team be could easily get to 600 wickets. He's only 32 which young for an offy.

Satyanash89

Banned
His wicket taking record over his whole career is brilliant. Always gets out the main batsman. Hes the Second highest wicket taking off spinner behind only murali. So I'm not just going from one series. If he gets back in the test team be could easily get to 600 wickets. He's only 32 which young for an offy.
No he doesnt :laugh:

In all seriousness, I think Harbhajan doesn't get enough credit sometimes... he was absolute quality for 5-6 years on the trot after that 2001 series, which most people forget. He's usually remembered solely for that one series, which was his best peak but hardly his only notable performance.
That said, the last 6-7 years he has been consistently very mediocre and a shadow of his former self. Just a handful of years of very good bowling doesnt make you the third greatest bowler of all time FFS. Even among Indian spinners, he's way behind Kumble, Chandrashekhar, Gupte and Bedi

Geoffboycott

So your saying singh is behind Chandrashekhar Gupte and bedi? Your mad. Okay it's close between him and Kumble but I think harbhajan just edges it. Also Singh does take big wickets. Ponting 10 times for instance. Look at his 5 wicket hauls list on wiki. Gets a lot of openers out. Unlike Warne who's wickets were mainly the tail.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
He averages nigh on 40 outside India for a start.

The fact that he's got these openers out is largely down to the fact that he's a better bowler than India's seamers which really has isn't saying an awful lot.

3rd best bowlers is actually ridiculous. He wouldn't even be in the top 10 bowlers of the past 15 years let alone of all time.

Satyanash89

Banned
So your saying singh is behind Chandrashekhar Gupte and bedi? Your mad. Okay it's close between him and Kumble but I think harbhajan just edges it. Also Singh does take big wickets. Ponting 10 times for instance. Look at his 5 wicket hauls list on wiki. Gets a lot of openers out. Unlike Warne who's wickets were mainly the tail.
I would say most people would put Chandrashekhar ,Gupte, Kumble, etc. ahead of Pune. I'm sure I'm not alone, so we can't all be mad. Harbhajan was quality for a few years, but then for the remaining half of his career he was simply not a potent enough bowler.

I cbf checking out the statistics of top order batsmen Harbhajan and Warne got out, but ive never considered it to be a good indicator of quality when the difference in quality of the rest of the attack is as wide as India's and Australia's. Harbhajan had Ishant Sharma, Sreesanth and co in his team as opening bowlers, while Warne had McGrath and Gillespie. I'm not even sure what you're attempting to prove with this point...

Geoffboycott

the point im proving is that harbhajan is one of the greatest spinners ever. Viscount Tom, other then warne and murali name me a better spinner? you'll be hard pushed too. kumble is the only one close.

Satyanash89

Banned
other then warne and murali name me a better spinner?
How about
Warne, Murali, O'Reilly, Grimmett,Tayfield, Laker, Kumble, Gupte, Benaud, Chandrashekhar, Saqlain, Macgill, and Ravindra Jadeja :ph34r:

Edit: Honestly could name atleast 20-25 spinners better than Harbhajan if i keep going

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
O'Reilly, Grimmett, Chandra, Gibbs, Benaud, Laker, Verity, Underwood, Bedi, Prasanna, Saqlain, Tayfield and all of them I rate even higher than Kumble far less Harbahjan.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
the point im proving is that harbhajan is one of the greatest spinners ever. Viscount Tom, other then warne and murali name me a better spinner? you'll be hard pushed too. kumble is the only one close.
I have three theories here.

a) You are a troll.

b) You haven't watched cricket for more than 15 years, and do not anything about cricket history. But you are open to learning.

c) b minus open to learning.

Last edited:

Satyanash89

Banned
at the end of the day the volume of his wickets says it all and proves me right.
A massive weener is useless if it doesnt even work half the time and you only have memories of that one incredible night you had, but then for the rest of your life you could never get it up

EDIT: quite appropriate as Harby is a massive weener :ph34r:

Last edited: