• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Bowler

Greatest Bolwer of All

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

subshakerz

International Coach
A few points:

For me, the best fast bowler at his peak would perhaps be Imran Khan, in that period post-WSC and before his shin injury (1980-83), when he was at top pace, and mastered conventional and reverse swing, and took wickets across the globe. I consider his demolition of the vaunted batting lineup of India on batting-friendly tracks in 82-83 arguably the greatest sustained piece of fast bowling over a series ever. The stats also show that he achieved the best rating by any bowler post-WW2.

Over the entire career, there really is no objective reason not to consider Malcolm Marshall the finest though, as he had all the tools and no discernible weakness. I think it speaks volumes that in the best bowling attack in history, among guys like Holding, Garner, Croft, Ambrose and Walsh, he was the established leader of the pack. It takes some extraordinary skill to achieve that.

I will also point out that for me any high-end all-time great fast bowler is inevitably better than a high-end spinner like Warne/Murali, by virtue of spinners being more susceptible to factors such as nature of the pitch, having to bowl on a first-day pitch, being forced to bowl at one good length (Sidhu pointed out that spinners are forced to bowl at such a length whereas pacers can bounce or york it), and overall stats that are not as impressive, etc. Warne and Murali were dominated several times in their caree over entire series, whereas McGrath or Marshall were rarely neutralized and hardly ever dominated.

On Warne vs. Murali, I am split, since I consider Warne to be temperamentally and mentally stronger and a better pressure player, but Murali harder to pick and able to spin more on any surface. Lara says as much:
Brian Lara on Shane Warne & Muttiah 'Murali' Muralitharan spin bowling - YouTube

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A few points:

For me, the best fast bowler at his peak would perhaps be Imran Khan, in that period post-WSC and before his shin injury (1980-83), when he was at top pace, and mastered conventional and reverse swing, and took wickets across the globe. I consider his demolition of the vaunted batting lineup of India on batting-friendly tracks in 82-83 arguably the greatest sustained piece of fast bowling over a series ever. The stats also show that he achieved the best rating by any bowler post-WW2.

Over the entire career, there really is no objective reason not to consider Malcolm Marshall the finest though, as he had all the tools and no discernible weakness. I think it speaks volumes that in the best bowling attack in history, among guys like Holding, Garner, Croft, Ambrose and Walsh, he was the established leader of the pack. It takes some extraordinary skill to achieve that.

I will also point out that for me any high-end all-time great fast bowler is inevitably better than a high-end spinner like Warne/Murali, by virtue of spinners being more susceptible to factors such as nature of the pitch, having to bowl on a first-day pitch, being forced to bowl at one good length (Sidhu pointed out that spinners are forced to bowl at such a length whereas pacers can bounce or york it), and overall stats that are not as impressive, etc. Warne and Murali were dominated several times in their caree over entire series, whereas McGrath or Marshall were rarely neutralized and hardly ever dominated.

On Warne vs. Murali, I am split, since I consider Warne to be temperamentally and mentally stronger and a better pressure player, but Murali harder to pick and able to spin more on any surface. Lara says as much.
?

I agree on pretty much everything else said above though. Although Waqar and pre-injury Lillee can give Imran a run for his money.

Satyanash89

Banned
?

I agree on pretty much everything else said above though. Although Waqar and pre-injury Lillee can give Imran a run for his money.
Would you put Philander's peak up there if he carries on like this for another two years or so?

EDIT: Just checked his stats... he has 89 wickets already?! holy ****balls :-O

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Would you put Philander's peak up there if he carries on like this for another two years or so?

EDIT: Just checked his stats... he has 89 wickets already?! holy ****balls :-O
Till now Philander has performed extremely well in South Africa and New Zealand. His tour of Australia wasn't impressive, while in England, he didn't look special either. He is yet to tour the subcontinent as well. So, I am guessing life is not going to be son easy ahead for him.

But if he continues this way, there is no reason to not put him up there. Avg. 17 and SR 36. Crazy ****.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
A few points:

On Warne vs. Murali, I am split, since I consider Warne to be temperamentally and mentally stronger and a better pressure player, but Murali harder to pick and able to spin more on any surface. Lara says as much:
Brian Lara on Shane Warne & Muttiah 'Murali' Muralitharan spin bowling - YouTube
Nice post. One point though, even though an ATG spinner is not as dominant as an ATG pacer, the distance that Warne and Murali are above any other spinner is greater than the distance that Marshall and Mcgrath is above their other fast bowlers, hence why they are rated so highly.

akilana

International 12th Man
A few points:

I think Murali to be mentally stronger than Warne. Becoming the best spiner with the allegation that he chucks hanging around his neck is just amazing. He hardly throws tantrum and keeps a smile on his face which probably deceives a lot of people.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vote down Warne - he was **** in India

Vote up Murali - despite him being crap in Australia.

Vote up Imran - despite the fact blokes were more fearful of him running through their missus than they were of his running through a batting line up when he played here.

FFS, it's McGrath or it's Marshall, with an honourable mention to a few others who were likely every bit as good but who don't have quite as complete a statistical record.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Vote up Imran - despite the fact blokes were more fearful of him running through their missus than they were of his running through a batting line up when he played here.
Imran currently doesn't have any votes so at least a little sanity has prevailed despite the fact that Akram and Steyn do have votes.

Geoffboycott

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Murali all the way for me. Warne in 2nd place. Harbajan in 3rd place. Marshalls the best quick followed by in order ambrose McGrath akram and hadlee.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who rate him that high up, and only his mother would rate him higher.

fredfertang

I think the dropping of the second "h" to create "bajan" is a cryptic clue that is eventually intended to lead to the answer Sylvester Clarke

Geoffboycott

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
His level in the 2001 series against Australia was up there with the best ive seen. At his best he was unplayable.