• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Surgery For Batsman Gibbs

Forest069

Cricket Spectator
SA Batsman Herschelle Gibbs Has Undergone Surgery To Reset The Double Fracture In His Nose.
The Opener Was Struck On The Face By A Bouncer From WI All-Rounder Vasbert Drakes On The Fourth Day Of The First Test In Johannesburg.
Gibbs,29, Was Rushed To Hospital Where X-Rays Revealed One Undisplaced Fracture.

Any Reactions From SA Fans!

Cheers,
Matthew Broughton:P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by Forest069
SA Batsman Herschelle Gibbs Has Undergone Surgery To Reset The Double Fracture In His Nose.
The Opener Was Struck On The Face By A Bouncer From WI All-Rounder Vasbert Drakes On The Fourth Day Of The First Test In Johannesburg.
Gibbs,29, Was Rushed To Hospital Where X-Rays Revealed One Undisplaced Fracture.
1) Nicely copied off Ceefax
2) Why so many capitals?
3) Drakes is not in any way, shape or form an all-rounder. That term is used far too loosely!

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
3) Drakes is not in any way, shape or form an all-rounder. That term is used far too loosely!
Drakes is most definitely an allrounder worthy of mention with the likes of Rikki Clarke, Ajit Agarkar and Matthew Hayden!

Craig

World Traveller
So does that mean he is in doubt for the next Test or not? Gary Kirsten would surely get his spot back in the South African team and it will be interesting who they leave out if Gibbs is fit?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
So does that mean he is in doubt for the next Test or not? Gary Kirsten would surely get his spot back in the South African team and it will be interesting who they leave out if Gibbs is fit?
Rudolph surely.

van Jaarsveld batted exceptionally and McKenzie really didn't get much chance to do anything - bad decision in the 1st.

shaka

International Regular
I heard somewhere that he will be playing in the next test against the West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk

I heard that Gayle and Collymore have a chance of recovering in time for the next Test too. Also, I heard that if Gayle isn't fit, Mohammed will definitely play.

Craig

World Traveller
I have a feeling Gayle wont play. Whether he is fully fit or not they may be tempted to leave him out nd give him more time to recover and get his hamstring stronger.

He did it no favours by going out to bat. IMO he only went out there to a) try and give some support for Lara and Chanderpaul and b) try and win some brownie points with the selectors.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
I have a feeling Gayle wont play. Whether he is fully fit or not they may be tempted to leave him out nd give him more time to recover and get his hamstring stronger.
If he's fully fit then he won't have anything to recover from.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Hey, hey. The one, the only DR Martyn suffered a broken nose, and was back into it!! And he still looks lovely. Geez, these south africans...!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Id leave Rudolph out... Van Jaarsveld has been superb in the supersport series and is continuing his good form... Gibbs will definitely play though.... Ive never seen someone laughing with their nose at such an angle!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Rudolph surely.

van Jaarsveld batted exceptionally and McKenzie really didn't get much chance to do anything - bad decision in the 1st.
And if he hadn't have been dropped he wouldn't have had the chance to get the bad decision:) .
Still, I hope they give him another chance. I've always felt it's a matter of time only before he makes his place certain beyond doubt, but he's really pushing his luck since Trent Bridge.
As for Rudolph, why oh why oh why does he get so many chances in the Test-matches? His First-Class record is worse than Van Jaarsveld and several others. Too much emphasis, as usual, placed on his ODI success (when his List-A average is over 50).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Gibbs were to get another blow to the nose at Durban it would surely kill him.
It was exactly the same with Stephen Waugh in Sri Lanka, and it's the same with the amount of overs bowled by seamers - cricketers just don't take the risks of the game seriously enough sometimes.