• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the Best "Cricketer" Ever?

Who is the best "Cricketer" ever

• Total voters

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Since he kicked more ass as he got older (like Hobbs and Kallis), maybe he would averaged better than 100 had he finished with 80 tests. I have no basis for doubting him. He was above every other common sensical thing I think I know about batting. So why apply this rule?

Btw, what exactly are we holding constant here to get the diminishing returns?
There was a massive world war prior to that. Standards must have fallen incredibly, particularly in England. Who was going to continue training for cricket in those times when they actually might've even been required to serve their country if the situation exacerbated.., not to mention all other things like economic recessions/depressions..

I have already covered my points in the other posts so I am not going to reiterate.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Too lazy to go find the actual stats, but in the second halves of their career, chronologically, Chanders/Kallis have averaged close to 60, and Sanga, as we all know, has been getting close to 70. 3 very notable exceptions to your rule there. Not to mention Hobbs, we all know how well he did at 40+

I was referring to entire careers, not 2nd halves.

I don't want to bring the mentioned players down so I am going to leave it at that.

Just thinking about it, likes of Ponting and Dravid avg'd insane amounts to push their career avg from 40 to 60 in the first place! But were they able to sustain it after getting there?

Some start slow and then finish up well... some the other way around. Greater the sample size, the less likely you are to attain an extraordinary avg.

Bradman may have avg'd 100 over 80 tests but not over 150 tests. or even 120

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
When we do the draft league and other cricket drafts on here and other forums, Bradman is routinely excluded because of his absurd talents. Says a lot.

Bradman is the most dominant sportsman in his chosen sport, ever. It's so clear it's Bradman it's ridiculous.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: WAC

A good bowling all rounder to me is arguably the most valuable player you can get in your team. Without going into the permutations and combinations of kyear2 about batting positions a bowling all rounder gives you the flexibility to have an additional batsman in while giving more depth to the side. Secondly (and I take Ikki's point here) that in a test match every player (theoretically) must bat but not every player must bowl and hence the bowling becomes a more specialized job. And I do agree with Ian Chappell's statement that batsmen set up the matches and it is the bowlers who win it. So ladies and gentleman I think Imran it is coupled with his fantastic leadership I give him the nod.
Where to start, first off how exactly does a a bowling All Rounder give a team the flexibility to add an additional batsman, if anything to use Imran in the top 6 costs the team a batsman and using him at 8 just adds depth and quite frankly if the top 6 just got rolled I don't hold out much hope for Imran. Additionally when ever we pick teams in drafts we all pick a batting all rounder because most teams needs a fifth bowler who doesn't weaken the top six, a bowling AR doesn't give us that.

The main problem with your Imran is the greatest ever player argument is that Imran only became a good batsman after his days as a great bowler was over after the injury and at his bowling best he was not a very good batsman and vice versa.
Here is an analysis of his All Round Ability

I.Khan - Batting - highest rating: 650 V SL 1991. spent 2 of his 88 Tests (2.3%) rated above 650.
Bowling - highest rating: 922 V Ind 1983. spent 71 of his 88 Tests (80.7%) rated above 650.
Best Simultaneous rating: 1483 v Ind 1983. (Batting-562, Bowling-921).

vs Sobers

G.Sobers - Batting - highest rating: 938 V Ind 1967. spent 77 of his 93 Tests (82.8%) rated above 650.
Bowling - highest rating: 715 V Ind 1966. spent 19 of his 93 Tests (20.4%) rated above 650.
Best Simultaneous rating: 1651 v Ind 1966. (Batting-936, Bowling-715).

Just for reference Bradman's

D.Bradman - highest rating: 961 V Ind 1948. spent 36 of his 52 Tests (69.2%) rated above 850.

Additionally Imran as a bowler is not seen to be as good a bowler as Sobers was a batsman and his home vs away average (19 avg 47 s/r vs 25 avg 59 s/r) has quite a disparity not seen with most ATG bowlers, but Imran did admit to having patriots umpiring at home. He was not a good or great fielder and I actually heard with my own ears Rameez Raja speaking about how he was taught to ball tamper without it being apparent.

With regards to the Bradman vs Sobers argument, Sobers from 58 - 68 and for about as many tests that Bradman played averaged around 70 with the b at on more difficult and varied pitches and againts much better attacks, add this to the massive amount of overs he bowled (comparatively to a similar level of a Jimmy Anderson for example) and amount of first class cricket that he forced into his schedule to maximise on his earning potential and the fact that he may be the greatest fielder to play the game and one has "the greatest cricketer the world has ever seen"
And I stronlgy disagree that even at his best Bradman was twice the batsman that Sobers, Tendulkar or Richards were at their very best, or that he would have averaged a hundred batting in the 70's vs Australia/ England or in the '80 vs the West Indies.
Bradman was the best batsman in the history of the game, but adjusting for modern (lbw) rules, fielding, quality of bowling and DRS, the gap would not be so massive. He faced two great bowlers in his career and in the case of Larwood the stats don't exactly bear that out, and the closest thing he came to an agressive pace attack was body line and when he faced Martindale and Constantine and he averaged 55 in body line and averaged 74 vs the W.I scoring two hundreds after being dropped on seven while scoring the first after struggling to start the series and both those attacks pale in comparrison to the attacks mentioned previously as well as his own of Lindwall and Miller.
Apparently as Warne is lowered (in another thread) for not facing his own batsmen maybe Bradman could be as well for not facing undoubtably the four best bowlers of his era in Lindwall, Miller, O'Reilly and Grimmett. But then again he did have to face India and South African at (his) home and a neutered England attack after Larwood left the scene and especially after the war.
Bradman, as said above is the greatest batsman to play the game, and there is daylight to second (not a separate tier, but daylight), but he was the beneficiary of a perfect storm, (and some flat pitches in Australia between the wars ), but it compares to Tendulkar who in my mind has had the best career of any batsman, almost 200 tests, 100 intl 100's and the rock of India while maintaing an average over 50, or to ability of Viv to take over a game and apart any attack anywhere and intimidate the bowlers in the process, or to the highs reached by Lara or the early dominance of Hobbs and the sheer genius and all round abilities of Sobers.

As an aside and to answer an earlier question, if I had the first pick in a real draft who would I personally select, I belive that fast bowlers win matches and you have to take 20 wickets to win a match and I would take the bowler to only loose 4 matches as an opening bowler, and the bowler who had all the toys and knew how and when to play with them, is he the greatest ever player ever, definately not, thats an argument for the Don and Sir Garry, but I would take Macco any day.

Last edited:

TNT

Banned
Bradman by a mile.

If you were going to select a team it wouldent matter if you had any combination of four from the best 10 fast bowlers, you would have a very strong bowling combination.

Having Bradman in your team would give you the trump card that makes the difference, any six batsman combination from the best 12 batsmen gives you a strong line up. Having Bradman is by far the biggest advantage you can have.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Bradman
Imran
Kallis
Sobers
In that order.
Kallis is a complete cricketer, great batsman, good bowler and great slip fielder. Possibly the most complete cricketer ever. However, I wouldn't pick him in my first or second ATG XIs.

Bradman gives you- the greatest batsman ever, with almost twice the output of his contemporaries.

Sobers gives you- Dynamic, attacking left handed batsman who could destroy attacks almost at will. Handy fifth option with the ball. Great fielder.

Imran gives you- Genuine ATG opening bowler who is not out of place at #7 or #8 in an ATG batting line up. As well as great leadership

The problem with Kallis is he doesn't really add anything dynamic to a team. Gives you a solid, stodgy batsman, handy 5th option with the ball, and great slip field. The issue with him, is he doesn't really put fear in to the opposition with any of his attributes. He's a great, consistent, solid cricketer, but that's all. It's why (imo) he'll never be as great as Sobers.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was a massive world war prior to that. Standards must have fallen incredibly, particularly in England. Who was going to continue training for cricket in those times when they actually might've even been required to serve their country if the situation exacerbated.., not to mention all other things like economic recessions/depressions..

I have already covered my points in the other posts so I am not going to reiterate.
Did you watch Hutton, Washbrook, Edrich and Wright play after WWII? Didn't look like they were short of training :laugh: Not to mention the emergence of wonderful players like Dennis Compton and Alec Bedser (the Bradman slayer) who were extremely good in the first ashes after the war itself. Stop embarrassing yourself.

I was referring to entire careers, not 2nd halves.

I don't want to bring the mentioned players down so I am going to leave it at that.

Just thinking about it, likes of Ponting and Dravid avg'd insane amounts to push their career avg from 40 to 60 in the first place! But were they able to sustain it after getting there?

Some start slow and then finish up well... some the other way around. Greater the sample size, the less likely you are to attain an extraordinary avg.

Bradman may have avg'd 100 over 80 tests but not over 150 tests. or even 120
Wrong again. You have no basis for saying this. You might not want to accept that, and that is your prerogative. But pretending that this is some kind of self-evident truth is laughable. Kallis' (and Sangakkara's and Chanders') average has not come down as their sample size has increased. They are getting better, and had a relatively poor start compared to what they are doing now. So, since Bradman had a good start to his career, all you are basing this on is that he might have somehow screwed it up in the middle had he played a lot more tests or later if he had continued to play. So you use Ponting and Dravid.

Tell me, if you were from that era, and Bradman was just coming up averaging 100 after 25 tests, wouldn't you have said that this will not last till the 50th? Would you have predicted a Bradman with your self-evident truth?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Kallis is a complete cricketer, great batsman, good bowler and great slip fielder. Possibly the most complete cricketer ever. However, I wouldn't pick him in my first or second ATG XIs.

Bradman gives you- the greatest batsman ever, with almost twice the output of his contemporaries.

Sobers gives you- Dynamic, attacking left handed batsman who could destroy attacks almost at will. Handy fifth option with the ball. Great fielder.

Imran gives you- Genuine ATG opening bowler who is not out of place at #7 or #8 in an ATG batting line up. As well as great leadership

The problem with Kallis is he doesn't really add anything dynamic to a team. Gives you a solid, stodgy batsman, handy 5th option with the ball, and great slip field. The issue with him, is he doesn't really put fear in to the opposition with any of his attributes. He's a great, consistent, solid cricketer, but that's all. It's why (imo) he'll never be as great as Sobers.
Unfortunately I do think you kind of have a point about Kallis and fear. Personally though, Imran's bad fielding marks him down harshly for me when choosing an XI. Most players fielding is either mentioned when outstanding, or not mentioned at all. Imran's is specifically mentioned as poor. That'd be a very exploitable weakness in an ATG team. Kallis also has a quality I like. His wicket is considered one of the most prized in the game. He is not as flashy of a batsman as Lara or Tendulkar, but he will just keep on batting. I think his bowling is probably slightly underrated. I mean, he's called in to break partnerships these days, and South Africa have Steyn and Philander as their strike bowlers. The best fast bowler in the world, pretty much since McGrath's retirement, and Philander, who has an outstanding strike rate and average.

In terms of all rounders, he is 3rd for me (excluding Procter), behind Sobers and Miller, slightly ahead of Imran.

harsh.ag

Additionally Imran as a bowler is not seen to be as good a bowler as Sobers was a batsman and his home vs away average (19 avg 47 s/r vs 25 avg 59 s/r) has quite a disparity not seen with most ATG bowlers, but Imran did admit to having patriots umpiring at home. He was not a good or great fielder and I actually heard with my own ears Rameez Raja speaking about how he was taught to ball tamper without it being apparent.

And I stronlgy disagree that even at his best Bradman was twice the batsman that Sobers, Tendulkar or Richards were at their very best, or that he would have averaged a hundred batting in the 70's vs Australia/ England or in the '80 vs the West Indies.

Bradman was the best batsman in the history of the game, but adjusting for modern (lbw) rules, fielding, quality of bowling and DRS, the gap would not be so massive. He faced two great bowlers in his career and in the case of Larwood the stats don't exactly bear that out, and the closest thing he came to an agressive pace attack was body line and when he faced Martindale and Constantine and he averaged 55 in body line and averaged 74 vs the W.I scoring two hundreds after being dropped on seven while scoring the first.

Bradman, as said above is the greatest batsman to play the game, and there is daylight to second (not a separate tier, but daylight), but he was the beneficiary of a perfect storm, (and some flat pitches in Australia between the wars ), but it compares to Tendulkar who in my mind has had the best career of any batsman, almost 200 tests, 100 intl 100's and the rock of India while maintaing an average over 50, or to ability of Viv to take over a game and apart any attack anywhere and intimidate the bowlers in the process, or to the highs reached by Lara or the early dominance of Hobbs and the sheer genius and all round abilities of Sobers.
Waiting for a Smail showdown :cool:

Did any other Aussie batsman of that time, even a great like McCabe, have a higher than normal, like a +60, average due to the "perfect storm" faced by Bradman? No? Hmm... Wonder why? Maybe they were actually so bad that their real averages should have been in the mid 30s. Yes, now it makes sense.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Waiting for a Smail showdown :cool:

Did any other Aussie batsman of that time, even a great like McCabe, have a higher than normal, like a +60, average due to the "perfect storm" faced by Bradman? No? Hmm... Wonder why? Maybe they were actually so bad that their real averages should have been in the mid 30s. Yes, now it makes sense.
Archie Jackson might've! Would have been interesting to see how Duleep's career panned out too.

smash84

The Tiger King
Where to start, first off how exactly does a a bowling All Rounder give a team the flexibility to add an additional batsman, if anything to use Imran in the top 6 costs the team a batsman and using him at 8 just adds depth and quite frankly if the top 6 just got rolled I don't hold out much hope for Imran. Additionally when ever we pick teams in drafts we all pick a batting all rounder because most teams needs a fifth bowler who doesn't weaken the top six, a bowling AR doesn't give us that.

The main problem with your Imran is the greatest ever player argument is that Imran only became a good batsman after his days as a great bowler was over after the injury and at his bowling best he was not a very good batsman and vice versa.
Here is an analysis of his All Round Ability

I.Khan - Batting - highest rating: 650 V SL 1991. spent 2 of his 88 Tests (2.3%) rated above 650.
Bowling - highest rating: 922 V Ind 1983. spent 71 of his 88 Tests (80.7%) rated above 650.
Best Simultaneous rating: 1483 v Ind 1983. (Batting-562, Bowling-921).

vs Sobers

G.Sobers - Batting - highest rating: 938 V Ind 1967. spent 77 of his 93 Tests (82.8%) rated above 650.
Bowling - highest rating: 715 V Ind 1966. spent 19 of his 93 Tests (20.4%) rated above 650.
Best Simultaneous rating: 1651 v Ind 1966. (Batting-936, Bowling-715).

Just for reference Bradman's

D.Bradman - highest rating: 961 V Ind 1948. spent 36 of his 52 Tests (69.2%) rated above 850.

There is just so much I want to respond to this post but I am at work so will respond to only a few things.

But I will respond to some of the more ridiculous points. It is funny that you bring up the case of patriot umpires as if other teams never benefited from it. If anything Pakistan should have won the 1988 series in the West Indies but thanks to home umpires Pak were denied that series 8-). And care to point out as to how many dismissals for Imran were the umpire's help?

Imran even before the last few years of his career was a solid batsman, he wasn't a tailender. In the 2 years he only batted as a batsman and in the top order and hence he became very very good but even before that he was quite a solid batsman. At least better than Sobers as a bowler.

More to follow later

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Did you watch Hutton, Washbrook, Edrich and Wright play after WWII? Didn't look like they were short of training :laugh: Not to mention the emergence of wonderful players like Dennis Compton and Alec Bedser (the Bradman slayer) who were extremely good in the first ashes after the war itself. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Wrong again. You have no basis for saying this. You might not want to accept that, and that is your prerogative. But pretending that this is some kind of self-evident truth is laughable. Kallis' (and Sangakkara's and Chanders') average has not come down as their sample size has increased. They are getting better, and had a relatively poor start compared to what they are doing now. So, since Bradman had a good start to his career, all you are basing this on is that he might have somehow screwed it up in the middle had he played a lot more tests or later if he had continued to play. So you use Ponting and Dravid.

Tell me, if you were from that era, and Bradman was just coming up averaging 100 after 25 tests, wouldn't you have said that this will not last till the 50th? Would you have predicted a Bradman with your self-evident truth?
Yeah I was around in those days, so were you 8-)

Dude read what I have written! They never were avg'ing an extraordinary amount...(so how have they sustained it or anything?). They are still not close to 60. Kallis is dropping off. Sanga's been filling his boots and I don't even want to talk about why his stats are so inflated. **** that.

NOOOOO. I am not adding tests in the middle or at the end. I am saying that instead of him having played 3 tests a year on avg, if he had played 10-12 tests every year like nowadays, his results might have been different. And there's no guarantee he would've had as good as start he had!! He would've been playing way more tests a year!

Motivation comes into it too... and so many other factors that i am just overlooking to simplify things.

This discussion should be ended since it's impossible to say anything that goes against somewhat deluded, irrational and nostalgic bradman's 100 avg supporters.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Yeah I was around in those days, so were you 8-)

Dude read what I have written! They never were avg'ing an extraordinary amount...(so how have they sustained it or anything?). They are still not close to 60. Kallis is dropping off. Sanga's been filling his boots and I don't even want to talk about why his stats are so inflated. **** that.

NOOOOO. I am not adding tests in the middle or at the end. I am saying that instead of him having played 3 tests a year on avg, if he had played 10-12 tests every year like nowadays, his results might have been different. And there's no guarantee he would've had as good as start he had!! He would've been playing way more tests a year!

Motivation comes into it too... and so many other factors that i am just overlooking to simplify things.

This discussion should be ended since it's impossible to say anything that goes against somewhat deluded, irrational and nostalgic bradman's 100 avg supporters.
So, you think if the ATG batsmen of today and 70s and 80s etc were to play during Bradman's time, playing 3-4 tests a year, then they would be averaging a lot more, say 70, or 80? If you don't think this, then you shouldn't be pushing your version either.

P.S. Hammond and Headley were ATG batsmen in that era averaging 60. What would you say their averages would have dropped to? Or do you think that there is a "normal" average of around 55-60 for ATG bats which will always be followed if enough matches are played?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
So, you think if the ATG batsmen of today and 70s and 80s etc were to play during Bradman's time, playing 3-4 tests a year, then they would be averaging a lot more, say 70, or 80? If you don't think this, then you shouldn't be pushing your version either.

P.S. Hammond and Headley were ATG batsmen in that era averaging 60. What would you say their averages would have dropped to? Or do you think that there is a "normal" average of around 55-60 for ATG bats which will always be followed if enough matches are played?
It may sound like I am stating everything as facts or like "something wouldve definitely happened" etc but thats not true. I get carried way and I tend to exaggerate :p

So when I say something like "no way he would've avg'100", what I really mean is that it's quite improbable that he would've done so.

Yup some might've for sure due to the sample size. The lower the sample size the more likely you are to get abnormal deviations from someone's expected value. :p

I'll answer the rest later as I have got to do something :p

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Maybe I'm underrating Sobers' batting.

Imran is definitely one of the top 5 pace bowlers of all time, IMO. TBH I'd only put him behind Marshall.
I think Imran's bowling does tend to get under-rated because of what he did with the bat.

On the flipside I think his batting gets significantly over-rated because of what he did with the ball.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Bradman, as said above is the greatest batsman to play the game, and there is daylight to second (not a separate tier, but daylight), but he was the beneficiary of a perfect storm, (and some flat pitches in Australia between the wars )
Would now be the wrong time to mention that Bradman actually averaged more in England than he did on these apparently helpful roads in Australia (where incidentally no one else from any country averaged anywhere near what he did).

The rest of kyear's post is sadly more of the usual bringing up reasons to negatively adjust Bradman's record but no one else's.

But to answer one point that has been made repeatedly - was Bradman, on his best day, twice as good a batsman as Sobers/Richards/Tendulkar etc on their best day? No, not in my opinion.

Was Bradman, innings-for-innings over the course of his career, statistically nearly twice as productive and prolific as Sobers/Richards/Tendulkar etc? Yes, it would seem so. Certainly if not fully twice as much then at least a long, long, long way ahead.