14 18.92%
  • Don Bradman

28 37.84%
  • WG Grace

5 6.76%
  • Other

3 4.05%
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the Best "Cricketer" Ever?

Banned
    It's Bradman. Even if you want to hold to the logic that the best player must be an allrounder(which I don't agree with at all), I say Bradman WAS an all rounder whose two core strengths were batting and batting.

FFS, he's statistically worth two ATG batsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    It's Bradman. Even if you want to hold to the logic that the best player must be an allrounder(which I don't agree with at all), I say Bradman WAS an all rounder whose two core strengths were batting and batting.

If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    We have been down this road before and I keep arguing the same points over and over but what exactly is a good all round series for you? In most of the series that Imran played he had a very good batting average (At least the ones in the 1980s). What would that suggest?
    That he was a very good all-rounder. But he didn't add an extra batsman to the side when he was a great bowler, and when he did add an extra batsman to the side, he wasn't a great bowler anymore.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    That he was a very good all-rounder. But he didn't add an extra batsman to the side when he was a great bowler, and when he did add an extra batsman to the side, he wasn't a great bowler anymore.
    Yup. Sobers was far more an actual all rounder than Imran in that sense.

Edit: stupid spellcheck
    Last edited by Satyanash89; 27-03-2013 at 01:40 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    I would have a different take on things. That whatever chance he got with the bat he did very well and his average would indicate that. In case you point out his not outs I might add that I wouldn't count a not out against a batsman
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Yup. Sobers was far more an actual all rounder than I mean in that sense.
    Sobers bowling was very ordinary

Banned
    Sobers bowling was very ordinary
    Well so was imran's batting then.
    Sobers played the actual all-rounder role of doing well with both bat and ball together more often than Imran, I'd guess

I would have a different take on things. That whatever chance he got with the bat he did very well and his average would indicate that. In case you point out his not outs I might add that I wouldn't count a not out against a batsman
    I have nothing against not-outs. But when I pick Imran, I have to contend with the very real possibility that most probably, either the great-bowler-okay-batsman Imran or the limited-bowler-reliable-batsman Imran is going to show up, not the great-bowler-reliable-batsman Imran.

And, if as you said, Sobers' bowling was ordinary (which in the 60s it really wasn't), but if we take that, then would I be hesitant to put Imran in my all time side at number 8 after Gilchrist? Hell yes. Much rather have Hadlee or Marshall there.

I have nothing against not-outs. But when I pick Imran, I have to contend with the very real possibility that most probably, either the great-bowler-okay-batsman Imran or the limited-bowler-reliable-batsman Imran is going to show up, not the great-bowler-reliable-batsman Imran.

And, if as you said, Sobers' bowling was ordinary (which in the 60s it really wasn't), but if we take that, then would I be hesitant to put Imran in my all time side at number 8 after Gilchrist? Hell yes. Much rather have Hadlee or Marshall there.
    How wasn't Sobers bowling ordinary? Have you checked out his bowling record? I'll try and pull out some really interesting posts from Ikki in a bit

Well so was imran's batting then.
    Sobers played the actual all-rounder role of doing well with both bat and ball together more often than Imran, I'd guess

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Other than against India where Sobers strikes at 73 balls per wicket against no other team does he even strike at 85 balls per wicket. Not only that have you checked his SR against Pakistan. He strikes every 356 deliveries which would mean 1 wicket a day. If that is not ordinary than what is?

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Bradman still top for me though WG is right up with him just didn't get to play international cricket properly at his peak and his records are way better than anyone else at his time despite his age and the standard of equipment/pitches. The more you think of WG he was a freak before his time. As for allrounders i'd probably place Imran top above Sobers and Botham so my top 3 would be Bradman, WG and Imran.

Imran Khan IMO.

On Sobers vs Khan, IMO Imran's bowling (i.e. his strength) was better than Sobers' batting (his strength). I'd say Imran's batting was probably about equal to Sobers' bowling.

How wasn't Sobers bowling ordinary? Have you checked out his bowling record? I'll try and pull out some really interesting posts from Ikki in a bit
    Dude, I am agreeing with you about Sobers! What are you on about? Now look at what I wrote:

But when I pick Imran, I have to contend with the very real possibility that most probably, either the great-bowler-okay-batsman Imran or the limited-bowler-reliable-batsman Imran is going to show up, not the great-bowler-reliable-batsman Imran.

What would be your views on this.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    So how come Bradman's stats drop but the others don't?
    A thousand times this.

I know I've said it before, but this obsession that a few people seem to have with inventing reasons or criteria to mark down Bradman - and only Bradman - just to somehow bring him back to the field is beyond ludicrous. I suppose it must seem easier to artificially create some sort of level playing field than to acknowledge that there was a bloke so good that statistically he shouldn't exist.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information