View Poll Results: Who is the best "Cricketer" ever

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keith Miller

    1 1.33%
  • Imran Khan

    7 9.33%
  • Gary Sobers

    16 21.33%
  • Jacques Kallis

    15 20.00%
  • Don Bradman

    28 37.33%
  • WG Grace

    5 6.67%
  • Other

    3 4.00%
Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 725

Thread: Who is the Best "Cricketer" Ever?

  1. #301
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    cape town
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    His, X, Y, Z's...it doesn't matter. I am calling someone who for the majority of their career averaged upwards of 40 runs per wicket and struck them at upwards of 100 balls for those wickets as garbage. Whether it is Sobers' or Mick Lewis'...it doesn't matter. A fair standard should apply for all.

    Below are figures during Sobers' career. Keep in mind that Sobers' combined record of bowling pace and spin is still poorer than the average bowler who bowled just spin.

    Code:
    Overall              AVG       SR
    Sobers:             34.03     91.9
    World avg:          31.18     79.8
    Spinner avg:        32.71     88.9
    These numbers are meaningless without context. You seem to place too much emphasis on numbers and stats (when out of context and when they are distorted to support your viewpoint). If you haven't seen the legend in action you might want to just not post on the matter at all because you are denigrating one of the game's greatest players. Someone posted stats of McGill and Warne when their careers overlapped and the former had better numbers. Strictly by numbers that would seem to suggest that Warne's bowling was garbage relative to Stuart's but that would be incorrect. Stats would show that pointing was garbage in India compared to even some tail end batsmen. Stats would show that ponting's average away from home is comparable to known flat pitch bullies like Sehwag and Sanga, that does not mean they were even remotely comparable away from home. Stats would show that Ponting averaged ZERO whenever he played Wasim and Waqar together in a test. Should we jump to conclusions from it? No I am not going off topic, I am just trying to tell you that stats are never the be all and end all. Ever. Period. Please stop posting ridiculous arguments when you do not have any valid points to make.
    Last edited by Plumbinfront; 21-04-2013 at 03:19 PM.

  2. #302
    International Regular kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    3,934
    Nice.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2


    W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

    S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

    Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

  3. #303
    International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumbinfront View Post
    These numbers are meaningless without context. You seem to place too much emphasis on numbers and stats (when out of context and when they are distorted to support your viewpoint). If you haven't seen the legend in action you might want to just not post on the matter at all because you are denigrating one of the game's greatest players. Someone posted stats of McGill and Warne when their careers overlapped and the former had better numbers. Strictly by numbers that would seem to suggest that Warne's bowling was garbage relative to Stuart's but that would be incorrect. Stats would show that pointing was garbage in India compared to even some tail end batsmen. Stats would show that ponting's average away from home is comparable to known flat pitch bullies like Sehwag and Sanga, that does not mean they were even remotely comparable away from home. Stats would show that Ponting averaged ZERO whenever he played Wasim and Waqar together in a test. Should we jump to conclusions from it? No I am not going off topic, I am just trying to tell you that stats are never the be all and end all. Ever. Period. Please stop posting ridiculous arguments when you do not have any valid points to make.
    I disagree with the idea that questioning the ability of a cricketer is 'denigrating' them. In fact to analyse and debate a cricketers record is to pay them an indirect complement. After all, virtually no one could be bothered analysing and debating the bowling record of Vic Marks as nice a bloke as he was.

    Indeed, when people say, "Don't 'denigrate my cricketer" what they really mean is - 'Don't disgree with my cherished belief because that hurts my feelings'. To that I simply say - "Harden Up!"

    But back to Sobers. When I estimate a bowler I tend to look at the batsman he dismissed. That is, did he regularly dismiss top-order ATG batsman, or were a large percentage of his wickets low quality batsman like tailenders?

    The top-3 victims of Sober's bowling were Barrington (7), Boycott (7), and Edrich (6). And overall, 34.9% of his victims could be described as top-order batsman (1-3). This compares favourably to a benchmark bowler like Malcolm Marshall as 33.2% of his victims were top-order batsman.

    http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/St...?PlayerID=1652
    http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/St...?PlayerID=1090
    http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/St...?PlayerID=1652

    Therefore, while the bowling Average and Strike Rate of Sobers are not anywhere near ATG status we would still have to conclude that his inherent (proven) ability to dismiss top-order batsman makes him a very desirable change-bowler indeed!
    Last edited by watson; 21-04-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    "I strongly feel the ICC should take action to ban the doosra since it just cannot be bowled legally. Ashley Mallett has said the 'doosra is nothing but chucking' and Australian spinners, including Shane Warne, have raised an alarm against coaching it in Australia." - BISHAN BEDI (2010)

  4. #304
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,031
    Are you sure about that? I'd be surprised if Maco's % of top order wickets wasn't much higher than that.


  5. #305
    International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,554
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Are you sure about that? I'd be surprised if Maco's % of top order wickets wasn't much higher than that.
    Just added the relevent links to the post.

  6. #306
    International Regular kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    3,934
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I disagree with the idea that questioning the ability of a cricketer is 'denigrating' them. In fact to analyse and debate a cricketers record is to pay them an indirect complement. After all, virtually no one could be bothered analysing and debating the bowling record of Vic Marks as nice a bloke as he was.

    Indeed, when people say, "Don't 'denigrate my cricketer" what they really mean is - 'Don't disgree with my cherished belief because that hurts my feelings'. To that I simply say - "Harden Up!"

    But back to Sobers. When I estimate a bowler I tend to look at the batsman he dismissed. That is, did he regularly dismiss top-order ATG batsman, or were a large percentage of his wickets low quality batsman like tailenders?

    The top-3 victims of Sober's bowling were Barrington (7), Boycott (7), and Edrich (6). And overall, 34.9% of his victims could be described as top-order batsman (1-3). This compares favourably to a benchmark bowler like Malcolm Marshall as 33.2% of his victims were top-order batsman.

    HowSTAT! Wickets by Batting Order Graph
    HowSTAT! Wickets by Batting Order Graph
    HowSTAT! Player Bowling Analysis

    Therefore, while the bowling Average and Strike Rate of Sobers are not anywhere near ATG status we would still have to conclude that his inherent (proven) ability to dismiss top-order batsman makes him a very desirable change-bowler indeed!
    I think people are thinking that he is being referenced as a great bowler, no one is saying that, what he would be is an excellent "change" or 5th bowler, which is what his role would be.

    Good research Watson. As usual putting in the research to support your arguments. Whether I agree with your specific argument or not, respect has to be given for that.
    Last edited by kyear2; 21-04-2013 at 05:39 PM.

  7. #307
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Just added the relevent links to the post.
    Thanks for that. I glossed over the 1-3 qualification. His record against the top 7 is more what I was expecting.

  8. #308
    International Regular kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    3,934
    Separate note, anyone else surprised that Kallis is still tied with Sir Garry in the poll. Is there a growing trend on CW where Kallis is moving past Sobers?

  9. #309
    International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,554
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Separate note, anyone else surprised that Kallis is still tied with Sir Garry in the poll. Is there a growing trend on CW where Kallis is moving past Sobers?
    Only among the lager louts. To the connoisseurs Sobers wins by a reasonable margin.

  10. #310
    International Regular kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    3,934
    Was just wondering. For me Sobers wins the batting comparrison hands down and as bolwers they played completely different roles in totally different conditions. Fielding and catching is as far as I am concerned is a no contest.

    Of course I know they would be others with differing opinions.

  11. #311
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,031
    Btw if Vannie Holder could make a test side as a bowler so can Sir Garry. And thats not to put down Holder either just to tell you what Sobers brought to the bowling crease as an extra to the attack!

  12. #312
    State Vice-Captain akilana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Moon
    Posts
    1,032
    Kallis > Sobers

  13. #313
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    11,481
    Sobers bowling has now gone past Murali v Warne etc for most boring argument on CW.

  14. #314
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,031
    And about time too.

  15. #315
    International Regular kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    3,934
    Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    Kallis > Sobers
    Care to expand? Would like to understand your reasoning.
    Last edited by kyear2; 21-04-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •