15 20.00%
  • Don Bradman

28 37.33%
  • WG Grace

5 6.67%
  • Other

3 4.00%
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the Best "Cricketer" Ever?

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    For me, having a great batsman who is also a great slip fielder, is just as important to a team or more so that a great bowler who is also an average batsman. A Marshall or Warne is more that good enough for the no. 8 position without having a full fledged "bowling all rounder"

I also rate batting all rounders higher than bowling ones, because for optimum balance a team would require a fifth bowler who doesn't weaken the batting, while if I would use Imran/ Miller as the all rounder I would have to bat them either in the top six thus weakening the batting or bat them at 7/8 and still only have 4 bolwers or still have to find a batting all rounder if you require a competent 5th bolwer. A Sobers, Hammond, Chappell, Kallis, Mcabe gives me an ATG batsman, good - competent bowler and an exceptional slip fielder. Hard to beat that combination. Miller and Warne does challenge though.
    I guess this detracts a bit from that hypothetical avg of 100 that I gave Imran khan..

Having said that, I doubt many would leave out Sobers from an ATG XI.. so there'd still be 5 bowlers

How much of a value could one give to catching?
    Last edited by centurymaker; 26-03-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

A question for all-

if Bradman had played 4 times as much cricket as he did i.e 320 innings (almost as much as Tendulkar)

do you think he would've had the following stats?

28,000 runs
    100 avg
    116 100s

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    if red apples were oranges, what would that make green apples?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    And one of the great allrounders imo. Sobers, Imran, Miller, Grace or Kallis. Not sure who to pick.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    bradman underbowled himself after becoming captain
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Gilchrist really deserves to be included. What a talent and he revolutionized his position and the game more than anyone since Grace, Bradman and Sobers.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I can't remember the kohli pic that you used to post A LOT

either this one

or this one

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Simple. Bradman is irreplaceable. Nobody else is.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Gilchrist really deserves to be included. What a talent and he revolutionized his position and the game more than anyone since Grace, Bradman and Sobers.
    Not disagreeing completely, but shouldn't Les Ames and Andy Flower get more credit for this as well.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    A question for all-

if Bradman had played 4 times as much cricket as he did i.e 320 innings (almost as much as Tendulkar)

28,000 runs
    100 avg
    116 100s
    Had stats very close to that in FC.

A question for all-

28,000 runs
    100 avg
    116 100s
    Bradman's FC record:

Innings: 338
    Runs: 28067
    Avg: 95.14
    100s: 117

Check, check and check

I can't remember the kohli pic that you used to post A LOT
    Look if this is an invitation to post that picture more, I will accept.

But let's stay on topic in this thread. This thread was about Kohli's fashionable dress sense, so let's stick to that.

Looking great even when his suit is drenched.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    I really don't think it matters all that much; in the end there are far too many variables to come out with any form of 'scientific' answer (I mean, lopping 20% off Bradman because of era strikes me as incredibly inexact, and so does valuing the wicket of Glenn McGrath in 1993 alongside the wicket of Bradman in 1930 at 25 apiece).

Yes, I will maintain that Harold Larwood is the greatest bowler of all time, and that Frank Worrell was the greatest man to set foot on a cricket field, but ultimately that's my own opinion, and I don't truly expect anyone else to share it (even if I do debate with people who call Larwood average). Ultimately there will never be a clear answer, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Trying to quantify and list everything, boiling it down to numerical and statistical discussion takes away from makes our game great, IMO. Cricket is such a unique sport in that it has changed so much over eras, is played in so many different conditions and has this element of romance that isn't reflected in any other sport. When you strip that away entirely, you end up making 80,000 posts on how Nick Knight was a better batsman than Adam Gilchrist or how Gavin Larsen was better than Waqar.

I never saw Stan McCabe bat; when I read Tangy's article I had no idea what his average was, but reading about him made me rate him extremely highly. Same goes with Macartney. To me, cricket isn't about averages to the second decimal point - it's about people.

Also, inb4Smali'sincrediblypredictableImranpost
    WAC

A good bowling all rounder to me is arguably the most valuable player you can get in your team. Without going into the permutations and combinations of kyear2 about batting positions a bowling all rounder gives you the flexibility to have an additional batsman in while giving more depth to the side. Secondly (and I take Ikki's point here) that in a test match every player (theoretically) must bat but not every player must bowl and hence the bowling becomes a more specialized job. And I do agree with Ian Chappell's statement that batsmen set up the matches and it is the bowlers who win it. So ladies and gentleman I think Imran it is coupled with his fantastic leadership I give him the nod.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Nah every player doesn't have to bat

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information