• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the Best "Cricketer" Ever?

Who is the best "Cricketer" ever

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, I would beg to differ.

Why do you say that fielding and catching is a no contest? Kallis is an awesome fielder himself. Some egs

Jacques Kallis *Incredible Catch* Pakistan v South Africa final at Sharjah 2000 - YouTube

Jacques Kallis Fantastic Reflex Catch - YouTube

Fantabulous catch from Jacques Kallis (ENG vs SA: T3D3 - Basil D'Oliveira Trophy 2012) - YouTube

Or you meant that Kallis is a better fielder?

Secondly, Sobers didn't have people like Shaun Pollock and Allan Donald at the other end most of the time else I am sure Sobers wouldn't really be needed all that would he?
No surprise there.

akilana

International 12th Man
Yes, I would beg to differ.

Why do you say that fielding and catching is a no contest? Kallis is an awesome fielder himself. Some egs

Jacques Kallis *Incredible Catch* Pakistan v South Africa final at Sharjah 2000 - YouTube

Jacques Kallis Fantastic Reflex Catch - YouTube

Fantabulous catch from Jacques Kallis (ENG vs SA: T3D3 - Basil D'Oliveira Trophy 2012) - YouTube

Or you meant that Kallis is a better fielder?

Secondly, Sobers didn't have people like Shaun Pollock and Allan Donald at the other end most of the time else I am sure Sobers wouldn't really be needed all that would he?
Why? It will go in a circle like it usually does with some people. Sobers is 4th on the list of great players. Kallis trumps him in all desciplines.

H4G

Banned
Separate note, anyone else surprised that Kallis is still tied with Sir Garry in the poll. Is there a growing trend on CW where Kallis is moving past Sobers?
Both would struggle a lot to make my All-Time XI as allrounders though Sobers is always welcome as a batsman as I simply don't consider him an allrounder but an alltime great bastman who could bowl a bit.

H4G

Banned
Yes, Sobers played as a frontliner, Kallis did not. It's a no contest in all disciplines for me.
Sami & Agarkar also played as frontliners,does it make a difference?Statistically & realistically Sobers as bowler was a combination of Mohammad Sami & Ian Salisbury.

Last edited:

H4G

Banned
I think people are thinking that he is being referenced as a great bowler, no one is saying that, what he would be is an excellent "change" or 5th bowler, which is what his role would be.

Good research Watson. As usual putting in the research to support your arguments. Whether I agree with your specific argument or not, respect has to be given for that.
Yeah it really feels great to appreciate others research but only when it suits our cause :clapping:

smash84

The Tiger King
Sami & Agarkar also played as frontliners,does it make a difference.Statistically & realistically Sobers as bowler was a combination of Mohammad Sami & Ian Salisbury.
ewww.....honestly I couldn't have thought of worse bowlers even if I wanted to......Sobers wasn't this bad

Satyanash89

Banned
There's NO WAY you are right. I mean NO WAY
Here's how it works... when you simply say A is way better than B, when most people rate B higher, you need to back it up with something substantial... don't try to flip that around on me. You're saying something as outrageous as Kallis trumps Sobers IN ALL THREE DISCIPLINES... burden is on you to provide some reasons, not on me

akilana

International 12th Man
Here's how it works... when you simply say A is way better than B, when most people rate B higher, you need to back it up with something substantial... don't try to flip that around on me. You're saying something as outrageous as Kallis trumps Sobers IN ALL THREE DISCIPLINES... burden is on you to provide some reasons, not on me
There's no reason for me to take a post very seriously when it says there's no way A is better than B when they are statistically equal.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's no reason for me to take a post very seriously when it says there's no way A is better than B when they are statistically equal.
Okay, what would you say to a person if he/she said that Chanderpaul (wonderful batsman though he has been, god bless his soul!) is a better batsman than Viv as per the statistically equal argument, since Shiv has a better average after more matches, more runs and more centuries?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Okay, what would you say to a person if he/she said that Chanderpaul (wonderful batsman though he has been, god bless his soul!) is a better batsman than Viv as per the statistically equal argument, since Shiv has a better average after more matches, more runs and more centuries?
Oe that Ken Barrington is a better batsman than Tendulkar, Richards, Lara and Chappell.