15 20.00%
  • Don Bradman

28 37.33%
  • WG Grace

5 6.67%
  • Other

3 4.00%
Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the Best "Cricketer" Ever?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    EXACTLY and so could Imran and Miller find a place in their sides for each of their disciplines because usually the teams that they played in were relatively weak in one department to make room for them.

Also the thing that irritates me is the double standards. While arguments are being put forward to find holes in non-favorite players' resume the same arguments are not being used to mark down favorite players.
    There are no double standards here. Sobers was West Indies' most important batsman and was also a frontline seamer. Im not even saying this makes Sobers the better cricketer....Just pointing out how vital he was to the team in both departments and that he would be a top pick as both batsman and bowler. Imran while obviously being Pakistan's best bowler for a long time was nowhere close to being their most important or irreplacable batsman. Simple enough to understand.

Just looked at the votes, and Kallis has the second most votes?!! Wow...kallisball indeed
    Last edited by Satyanash89; 02-04-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    There are no double standards here. Sobers was West Indies' most important batsman and was also a frontline seamer. Im not even saying this makes Sobers the better cricketer....Just pointing out how vital he was to the team in both departments and that he would be a top pick as both batsman and bowler. Imran while obviously being Pakistan's best bowler for a long time was nowhere close to being their most important or irreplacable batsman. Simple enough to understand.
    Bradman is being marked down for playing against minnows and bettering his average and
    Sobers isn't? Similarly Imran and Murali are marked down for having better home averages than away averages. Sobers isn't. If that is not double standards then what is?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

GachiBowli Diwakar
    When asked what the IPL means for seasoned pros like him, Dravid smiled and neatly deflected the question: it is a different world altogether, he said. "The other day I walked the ramp as part of a promotional event. When I started my career, I never imagined this would be part of a cricketer's life!"

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    Just looked at the votes, and Kallis has the second most votes?!! Wow...kallisball indeed
    It's all down to the current fad fanboyism. The same way a poll of the greatest Rock 'N' Roll star would have the latest X-Factor winner ahead of Elvis Presley.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    It's all down to the current fad fanboyism. The same way a poll of the greatest Rock 'N' Roll star would have the latest X-Factor winner ahead of Elvis Presley.
    Talk about taking it to the extreme. Kallis is no X-Factor winner (This sentence seems all kinds of wrong )
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Talk about taking it to the extreme. Kallis is no X-Factor winner (This sentence seems all kinds of wrong )
    Kallis is going to be the greatest statistical anomaly in history. His current day fans will have the irrational hero worship of him and put him in an All Time XI whilst his detractors don't think he measures up to the other great players. However in 100 years time the statsmongers will look at his figures and think it's impossible to leave him out of any team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Kallis is going to be the greatest statistical anomaly in history. His current day fans will have the irrational hero worship of him and put him in an All Time XI whilst his detractors don't think he measures up to the other great players. However in 100 years time the statsmongers will look at his figures and think it's impossible to leave him out of any team.
    Nah, Cricinfo archives will sort them out. Crowe, Nicholas and Chappelli all rating Sobers the best bat and all..

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Bradman is being marked down for playing against minnows and bettering his average and
    Sobers isn't? Similarly Imran and Murali are marked down for having better home averages than away averages. Sobers isn't. If that is not double standards then what is?
    Yes Bradman is marked down for playing againts minnows, but also partially for the rules or the day and other factors. Ask yourself if Imran couldn't get lbw decisions once the ball pitched out side of the off stump how effective he would have been.

With Murali, being marked down for the disparity between his home and away averages is only to diffreciate him from Warnr as they are practically even. For Imran, it was one of several reasons why I don't see see him as the best ever player, including reaching his batting and bowling peaks at opposite ends of his career and never excelling at both at the same time and the fact that he was a poor fielder among others.

As for Keith Miller, all I am saying is that I would rather have a 5th bowler with an average of 34 that a number 5 batsman with a batting average of 35. Whats wrong with that. Sobers legacy is not based on his bowling, he was a more than useful 5th bowler and the best in history at that role, who was over bowled and misused as a strike bowler and alternately as a stock bowler who bowled two types of spin and also seam who wal one of the greatest fielders ever and lights iout in the slip cordon. Oh, and by my ratings the thirs best batsman ever.

Regarding Bradman again, for instance, Everton Weekes averaged over 100 vs India, but we don't rate him based on that. We rate him based on what he did vas Lindwall and Miller and Trueman ect and Bradman out side of Larwood at his best for one season, never faced an attack like Lindwall and Miller, not a double standard, it's one we use for everyone.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

How often is the same biased, disingenuous **** allowed to get posted over and over again in multiple threads before it becomes an issue?

Genuinely curious.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    How often is the same biased, disingenuous **** allowed to get posted over and over again in multiple threads before it becomes an issue?

Genuinely curious.
    Why should it become an issue? It's hysterical. The comedy value of posters trying to belittle Sobers and Bradman is what makes this forum unique and keeps people coming back.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Well they're definitely not coming back for the comedy value of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

International Captain
    Of course they're not. The comedy value is provided unintentionally by people with poor subject knowledge.

Irony: clearly not lost on LT.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post

Genuinely curious.
    How is it biased. First of all I was responding to a post by Smali. The only thing that is disengenuous is the attacks because my views differs from yours.
    When I make statements, I am critisized for not supporting them, when I do, critisized because u disagree with them.
    News flash, we can have differing opnions, and I can back mine up.

International Captain
    Of course it's not. Irony is provided by those who know nothing about the subject and make no attempt to pretend that they do.

Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread Information