• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia Off Season 2013 thread.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
"George Bailey has been one of our most successful ODI batsmen since he debuted in that format in March 2012. Clint McKay's success as an ODI player was reflected in him being awarded Australia's One Day Player of The Year at the Allan Border Medal.

"The National Selection Panel is very impressed by the manner in which James Faulkner has been performing and developing. He is a very competitive young man who consistently manages to have an impact on games with both bat and ball. Glenn Maxwell is a talented young player who has had opportunity invested in him. He is very aware that he needs to tighten his game and perform with greater impact and consistency."
I would also much prefer they gave the Test players preference of the shorter stuff that I don't give a **** about. I dont mind Baily as he is seen as a potential test bat but not at the expense of Uzi and Smith. Same with McKay over Bird and Faulkner over Bird and Henriques.

The way Invers gushes over Maxwell and Faulkner I think we can expect both in the Ashes squad. Which just makes me think that they didnt leave the funky squad selections back in India. My biggest concern for the Ashes is the NSP and which project player will get ram rodded into the test team next. Maybe Maxwell and Faulkner to play the first test. Will have to stock up on Rum for that.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So I decided to go: 25x5,24x5-1x5 for the best 25 test players and then times by 3 for ODIs and by 1 for t20 to work out who I expected to make the list of 20.

I had 2 changes to the official list. Out goes Hilfenhaus and Cummins (who finished 21 and 22) and in comes Bird and Smith.

howardj

International Coach
Harris, Faulkner and Haddin now appear locks for the Ashes tour

I would be surprised if Bird went - mainly because he's played no cricket since being injured

I think Hilfenhaus will edge out Bird for the final pacers spot

Pattinson, Harris, Starc, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Faulkner

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Good thing that Haddin is going. Just need someone to finish the job with Wade and leave some training balls out or something

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
James Pattinson, the Australia fast bowler, is out of the IPL and may also miss the Champions Trophy that precedes the Ashes after he was compelled to have surgery on what Cricket Australia has described as "a non-cricket related medical condition in his lower abdominal region."
james pattinson: soft

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
Picking Hilfenhaus in the ashes squad wouldn"t be the worst selection at all. The last time he played the ashes in England he was by far the best Oz bowler.The condition does suit his bowling.Pattinson Starc Siddle Harris Hilfenhaus ( ofcourse Bird may beat him into the squad).Depends on the number of pacers they decide to take though.Faulkner despite being a very good short form option shouldn"t be anywhere near the test team.Henriques should be ahead of Faulkner as the test all rounder( if an all rounder is needed in England).Smith should have been given a contract on the basis that he will be in the first ashes test, and his improvement in his batting should mean he"ll be in the short formats as well.Khawaja and. Smith should have been given contracts.Nice to see Cummins on that list too, easily the most exciting prospect in Australia since Glenn Mc Grath.

Spikey

i don't see why Smith will be in the 1st Ashes test. He's a shot sure, but he got picked for India because he can play, he can be dropped from England because he's not as flash against seam

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Picking Hilfenhaus in the ashes squad wouldn"t be the worst selection at all. The last time he played the ashes in England he was by far the best Oz bowler.The condition does suit his bowling.Pattinson Starc Siddle Harris Hilfenhaus ( ofcourse Bird may beat him into the squad).Depends on the number of pacers they decide to take though.Faulkner despite being a very good short form option shouldn"t be anywhere near the test team.Henriques should be ahead of Faulkner as the test all rounder( if an all rounder is needed in England).Smith should have been given a contract on the basis that he will be in the first ashes test, and his improvement in his batting should mean he"ll be in the short formats as well.Khawaja and. Smith should have been given contracts.Nice to see Cummins on that list too, easily the most exciting prospect in Australia since Glenn Mc Grath.
It's an ok selection if Bird is unfit and he is nothing more than a backup seamer who doesnt come into consideration except for injuries

If Hilf is preferred over a fit Bird, then it's a joke and England will be pissing themselves

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So I decided to go: 25x5,24x5-1x5 for the best 25 test players and then times by 3 for ODIs and by 1 for t20 to work out who I expected to make the list of 20.

I had 2 changes to the official list. Out goes Hilfenhaus and Cummins (who finished 21 and 22) and in comes Bird and Smith.
Lies. Henriques and Smith in, Cummins (22), Hilf (23) didn't make my top 20. Bird was 21st.

Personally think if ODIs are worth 3, T20 1, tests should be rated an 8 or 10.

brockley

International Captain
There is some thoughts Simon Chu may get a NSW contract after a strong season with Stgeorge,thoughts?

flibbertyjibber

It's an ok selection if Bird is unfit and he is nothing more than a backup seamer who doesnt come into consideration except for injuries

If Hilf is preferred over a fit Bird, then it's a joke and England will be pissing themselves
As long as Johnson isn't picked ahead of either you are ok.