• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia Off Season 2013 thread.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i don't think the argus review supported handing out contracts to test only, depth seam bowlers. this ain't like ed cowan last year. Bird will probably go on the ashes tour, but he might not, and is def. not ensured of a game.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would select players on the basis of their commercial worth. Anyone who saw Siddles acting ability in The Qantas ad would put him up at the top tier despite not playing shorter formats.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
What I find to be confusing, is that in Argus report there was a recommendation that there should be a greater importance placed on test matches, and this should be reflected in the contracted players list.

This seems to have fallen by the way side in favour of multi format players. For example, a player playing both t20 and ODI's have been prioritised over the players who only play test matches (in some circumstances, I know Cowan is an exception to this).

I think overall they probably got it right. There aren't too many outside the squad that you can say definitely deserved a contract, but there are a few in the list that you can say don't deserve a gig.

I prefer they've gone with a list of 20 as it frees up a few extra spots on state lists.
Playing Devil's Advocate here, the guys who have got deals as t20 and ODI only players (gonna name Bailey, Doherty and Maxwell as three such examples) are all there or thereabouts for Test selection anyway - rightly or wrongly Doherty is our second spinner at the moment, Bailey's not far off a Test gig (and you can't exactly not contract your captain, even if it is only in t20), and Maxwell has a chance of a game in all 3 formats.

McKay getting a deal is weird, but he has been (arguably) our best short form bowler and deserves some form of recognition. Above Bird though? I'm not so sure.

If you added 3 more it would be Bird, Smith and Khawaja - that's it in terms of fringe contracts really.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
the thing that ****s me about Invers is how he has his clear favourites that he rates and no one else does (maxwell, faulkner etc) hes a stubborn **** and i respect his resolve but he still ****s me

dermo

International Vice-Captain
how is giving smith a contract considered "fringe" when the **** was in the team the last two games and will more than likely be there for the next

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
However its good to know CA is an equal opportunity employer.

They employ retards, injury prone fools, old men, intellectuals, low confident chaps and genuine big hearted top blokes who are terrific ambassadors of the game. Equal opportunity FTW.

benchmark00

@Jesse_Hogan: .@WestEndRedbacks face fine of up to $150k after being found guilty of approaching a rival contracted player: @bushrangers' @Jimmy07Muirhead

Spikey

The whole Muirhead thing is hilarious. Does Berry have a daughter? Wouldn't be surprised if he offered her up soon.

I'm not sure which would make it funnier in the end - Muirhead actually being exactly as gun as Berry hopes but playing for Victoria instead anyway, or Muirhead moving to South Australia and being a huge flop at First Class level.
lock me in for 'Muirhead actually being exactly as gun as Berry hopes but playing for Victoria instead anyway and SA getting the 150K fine'

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not as much on the Faulkner dislike as others.

Interesting that he should take over from Henriques so quickly though.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Why is Cummins on contract exactly? I mean the guy's spent more time out with injury than Harris and that takes some doing.

flibbertyjibber

Seems a confused contracted selection. I'd be tearing my hair out if I was an Aussie looking at how the selectors have worked in the last 6 months.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Not as much on the Faulkner dislike as others.

Interesting that he should take over from Henriques so quickly though.
I'm not convinced he can bat 7 in a Test side though. Averages a touch under 30, which could be worse I guess, but he has yet to register a ton in FC cricket.

Even Moey, Maxwell and Tim Paine had done that.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not convinced he can bat 7 in a Test side though. Averages a touch under 30, which could be worse I guess, but he has yet to register a ton in FC cricket.

Even Moey, Maxwell and Tim Paine had done that.
I dont have a problem with Faulkner being in the T20 and ODI squads but the way Invers has been gushing, you'd have to assume that he is going to be picked for the Ashes tour as an all-rounder

I'll be generous and say that he is as good with the bat as Starc and he is not considered an all-rounder

His bowling is promising but he will struggle at the top level until he learns to move the ball as back of the hand slower ball bouncers wont get many people out at test level

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
His bowling is promising but he will struggle at the top level until he learns to move the ball as back of the hand slower ball bouncers wont get many people out at test level
Can see it now been one of those really **** deliveries that KP manages to get out to.