Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Australia Off Season 2013 thread.

how the **** does Faulkner get a contract over Smith? even with the whole 3 formats being taken into consideration surely Smith is just as much chance to feature in odi's as Faulkner? not to mention he will most likely be playing the first ashes test. **** Invers as the biggest fan boi going

EDIT: **** me just noticed Hilf is still there, wtf is that about
    Last edited by dermo; 02-04-2013 at 10:34 PM.

I actually don't mind Faulkner if it's an indication he's in the Ashes squad. There would be worse selections for that tour.

Hilf though is bit of a joke. Like Siddle, he really needs Billy back but x10 as much. Shouldn't really be in contention for the Ashes tour.

Cummins gets a contract it seems just so the management that has seen him play about 5 days of cricket in the last two years can keep looking after him .

They should have stuck to 17 and even then we'd struggle to fill the quota.

Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post
    how the **** does Faulkner get a contract over Smith? even with the whole 3 formats being taken into consideration surely Smith is just as much chance to feature in odi's as Faulkner? not to mention he will most likely be playing the first ashes test. **** Invers as the biggest fan boi going

Dude, Hilfy, Harris, Johnson and Haddin are still there as well - and Cummins! It's a complete joke. Bird and Khawaja were extremely unlucky to miss out. And don;t get me started on Glenn Maxwell...

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post
    I actually don't mind Faulkner if it's an indication he's in the Ashes squad. There would be worse selections for that tour.

Hilf though is bit of a joke. Like Siddle, he really needs Billy back but x10 as much. Shouldn't really be in contention for the Ashes tour.

Cummins gets a contract it seems just so the management that has seen him play about 5 days of cricket in the last two years can keep looking after him .

They should have stuck to 17 and even then we'd struggle to fill the quota.
    I am struggling to think of many itbt.

Hilfenhaus is genuinely made for English conditions. Actually probably in the best three suited bowlers for English conditions.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Faulkner would actually be good in England, he is capable of getting reverse swing - he is also a very aggressive and belligerent bowler. People who say Hilfy will be good in England - pick Chadd Sayers instead - he is capable of late swing, unlike Hilfy.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Faulkner would actually be good in England, he is capable of getting reverse swing - he is also a very aggressive and belligerent bowler. People who say Hilfy will be good in England - pick Chadd Sayers instead - he is capable of late swing, unlike Hilfy.
    Reverse swing = good in England?

Nothing wrong with contracts going to Harris, Cummins and Haddin, as far as I'm concerned. Maxwell, Hilfenhaus and Faulkner the only real debatable picks, IMO.

No Smith or Bird surprising. Khawaja somewhat less so. If I were handing deals out, it's Smith and Bird for Maxwell and Faulkner.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    hilf would have got some points for OD cricket. not many, but more than bird, while probably getting as many test points...

as for haddin, well he got one last year, it's hard to see how they could have not given him one this year, given he's more chance of playing tests imo

Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post

nah look if this is a sign they're not picking smitteh in OD cricket thank ****ing god
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Reverse swing = good in England?.
    2005 Ashes says hi.

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Reverse swing = good in England?

Nothing wrong with contracts going to Harris, Cummins and Haddin, as far as I'm concerned. Maxwell, Hilfenhaus and Faulkner the only real debatable picks, IMO.

No Smith or Bird surprising. Khawaja somewhat less so. If I were handing deals out, it's Smith and Bird for Maxwell and Faulkner.
    #Simon Jones

Forkers is not in the top 15 seam bowling options for the Ashes. His value to the Australian team lies in shorter formats as his change ups are his weapon.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    it would piss pews off though

its a strange mix though. based on last season forkers can't get a contract can he? but based on next hilf can't get one?

last year everyone was up in arms because johnsons got a contract, and we found out it was because he had a 2 year contract. now he's probably around the team in all formats going forward, but we want to be rid of him, no? so wouldn't you force him to qualify for a contract by playing enough games, and hope that he doesn't in fact play enough.....
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

In relation to central contracts, I dont understand why the selectors or CA care about shorter format players at all

If I was dictating the policy, the only players to receive one would be those for whom I wanted to dictate where, when and for whom they played.

Good examples of this are the young fast bowlers - top up their earnings with a central contract in return for retaining control over their preparation, schedule, etc

Likewise, give a contract or 2 to young batsmen so that their development is not potentially hampered by playing slogathons just because they pay more more than say a stint in county cricket

What I find to be confusing, is that in Argus report there was a recommendation that there should be a greater importance placed on test matches, and this should be reflected in the contracted players list.

This seems to have fallen by the way side in favour of multi format players. For example, a player playing both t20 and ODI's have been prioritised over the players who only play test matches (in some circumstances, I know Cowan is an exception to this).

I think overall they probably got it right. There aren't too many outside the squad that you can say definitely deserved a contract, but there are a few in the list that you can say don't deserve a gig.

I prefer they've gone with a list of 20 as it frees up a few extra spots on state lists.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    What I find to be confusing, is that in Argus report there was a recommendation that there should be a greater importance placed on test matches, and this should be reflected in the contracted players list.

This seems to have fallen by the way side in favour of multi format players. For example, a player playing both t20 and ODI's have been prioritised over the players who only play test matches (in some circumstances, I know Cowan is an exception to this).

I think overall they probably got it right. There aren't too many outside the squad that you can say definitely deserved a contract, but there are a few in the list that you can say don't deserve a gig.

I prefer they've gone with a list of 20 as it frees up a few extra spots on state lists.
    Absolutely

Bird missing out, while guys Doherty and Maxwell land a contract, flies in the face of Argus (pun intended)

Argus was a waste of resources

Hildick >>> Invers

Timmy >>>> Mickey
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread Information