• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia Off Season 2013 thread.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best way to motivate Maxwell to tighten his game and perform with more consistency is to give him more money

Wish my boss took that attitude

adub

International Captain
Best way to motivate Maxwell to tighten his game and perform with more consistency is to give him more money

Wish my boss took that attitude
When he does make sure you give me a call when there's a vacancy. I'll be on a $million a year in no time!

social

Based on a formula of likelihood to play the 3 formats. Bird likely squad member in tests - not a walk up start mind you - but not likely to figure in shorter formats any time soon, hence the low ranking.
How do they justify the inclusion of Hilf?

Hopeless in shorter formats and, at best, the 5th best seamer in longer formats behind Pattinson, Siddle, Starc and Bird

howardj

International Coach
It doesn’t create hungry cricketers when you have 20 contracted players being paid in the range from $230 000 to $2 million (base payment)

It should be 12 contracted players, and then the rest could be on $200 000

That way, you won’t have the 15th ranked player for instance (and that could be somebody like Maxwell, given that he plays (and not very well) at least two forms) earning upwards of $600 000 base payment but not contributing much

Not that I want to come across as anti-CA though

CA rock

dermo

International Vice-Captain
how the **** does Faulkner get a contract over Smith? even with the whole 3 formats being taken into consideration surely Smith is just as much chance to feature in odi's as Faulkner? not to mention he will most likely be playing the first ashes test. **** Invers as the biggest fan boi going

EDIT: **** me just noticed Hilf is still there, wtf is that about

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
I actually don't mind Faulkner if it's an indication he's in the Ashes squad. There would be worse selections for that tour.

Hilf though is bit of a joke. Like Siddle, he really needs Billy back but x10 as much. Shouldn't really be in contention for the Ashes tour.

Cummins gets a contract it seems just so the management that has seen him play about 5 days of cricket in the last two years can keep looking after him :dry:.

They should have stuck to 17 and even then we'd struggle to fill the quota.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
how the **** does Faulkner get a contract over Smith? even with the whole 3 formats being taken into consideration surely Smith is just as much chance to feature in odi's as Faulkner? not to mention he will most likely be playing the first ashes test. **** Invers as the biggest fan boi going

Dude, Hilfy, Harris, Johnson and Haddin are still there as well - and Cummins! It's a complete joke. Bird and Khawaja were extremely unlucky to miss out. And don;t get me started on Glenn Maxwell...

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually don't mind Faulkner if it's an indication he's in the Ashes squad. There would be worse selections for that tour.

Hilf though is bit of a joke. Like Siddle, he really needs Billy back but x10 as much. Shouldn't really be in contention for the Ashes tour.

Cummins gets a contract it seems just so the management that has seen him play about 5 days of cricket in the last two years can keep looking after him :dry:.

They should have stuck to 17 and even then we'd struggle to fill the quota.
I am struggling to think of many itbt.

Hilfenhaus is genuinely made for English conditions. Actually probably in the best three suited bowlers for English conditions.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Faulkner would actually be good in England, he is capable of getting reverse swing - he is also a very aggressive and belligerent bowler. People who say Hilfy will be good in England - pick Chadd Sayers instead - he is capable of late swing, unlike Hilfy.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Faulkner would actually be good in England, he is capable of getting reverse swing - he is also a very aggressive and belligerent bowler. People who say Hilfy will be good in England - pick Chadd Sayers instead - he is capable of late swing, unlike Hilfy.
Reverse swing = good in England?

Nothing wrong with contracts going to Harris, Cummins and Haddin, as far as I'm concerned. Maxwell, Hilfenhaus and Faulkner the only real debatable picks, IMO.

No Smith or Bird surprising. Khawaja somewhat less so. If I were handing deals out, it's Smith and Bird for Maxwell and Faulkner.

Spikey

hilf would have got some points for OD cricket. not many, but more than bird, while probably getting as many test points...

as for haddin, well he got one last year, it's hard to see how they could have not given him one this year, given he's more chance of playing tests imo

nah look if this is a sign they're not picking smitteh in OD cricket thank ****ing god

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Reverse swing = good in England?

Nothing wrong with contracts going to Harris, Cummins and Haddin, as far as I'm concerned. Maxwell, Hilfenhaus and Faulkner the only real debatable picks, IMO.

No Smith or Bird surprising. Khawaja somewhat less so. If I were handing deals out, it's Smith and Bird for Maxwell and Faulkner.
#Simon Jones

benchmark00

Forkers is not in the top 15 seam bowling options for the Ashes. His value to the Australian team lies in shorter formats as his change ups are his weapon.

uvelocity

International Coach
its a strange mix though. based on last season forkers can't get a contract can he? but based on next hilf can't get one?

last year everyone was up in arms because johnsons got a contract, and we found out it was because he had a 2 year contract. now he's probably around the team in all formats going forward, but we want to be rid of him, no? so wouldn't you force him to qualify for a contract by playing enough games, and hope that he doesn't in fact play enough.....

social

In relation to central contracts, I dont understand why the selectors or CA care about shorter format players at all

If I was dictating the policy, the only players to receive one would be those for whom I wanted to dictate where, when and for whom they played.

Good examples of this are the young fast bowlers - top up their earnings with a central contract in return for retaining control over their preparation, schedule, etc

Likewise, give a contract or 2 to young batsmen so that their development is not potentially hampered by playing slogathons just because they pay more more than say a stint in county cricket

benchmark00

What I find to be confusing, is that in Argus report there was a recommendation that there should be a greater importance placed on test matches, and this should be reflected in the contracted players list.

This seems to have fallen by the way side in favour of multi format players. For example, a player playing both t20 and ODI's have been prioritised over the players who only play test matches (in some circumstances, I know Cowan is an exception to this).

I think overall they probably got it right. There aren't too many outside the squad that you can say definitely deserved a contract, but there are a few in the list that you can say don't deserve a gig.

I prefer they've gone with a list of 20 as it frees up a few extra spots on state lists.

howardj

International Coach
What I find to be confusing, is that in Argus report there was a recommendation that there should be a greater importance placed on test matches, and this should be reflected in the contracted players list.

This seems to have fallen by the way side in favour of multi format players. For example, a player playing both t20 and ODI's have been prioritised over the players who only play test matches (in some circumstances, I know Cowan is an exception to this).

I think overall they probably got it right. There aren't too many outside the squad that you can say definitely deserved a contract, but there are a few in the list that you can say don't deserve a gig.

I prefer they've gone with a list of 20 as it frees up a few extra spots on state lists.
Absolutely

Bird missing out, while guys Doherty and Maxwell land a contract, flies in the face of Argus (pun intended)

Argus was a waste of resources

Hildick >>> Invers

Timmy >>>> Mickey