• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia Off Season 2013 thread.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's not much they can do. England has 18 teams. We have 6. If you can play as a local in the place with more spots, why wouldn't you? They could add the ACT to make it 7 teams, but that's about it. The only real thing they have to do is change the rules to allow Australian born players to play as an overseas player, which means that these youngsters could still play in the shield without putting their county career at stake if in the future they are good enough to play in the shield.

Teenagers Steve Eskinazi and Cameron Steel, both outstanding performers for WA in recent national under-age carnivals, are playing in England and hope to qualify for that country.

Both players are playing second XI with county teams as local players, though WACA talent manager Brett Jones said it was too early for them to make a final commitment.

"They have indicated that they want to play in England for the next two years," Jones said.
I think that may be a bit dramatic. I would assume much like Robson there's no thoughts about international cricket at all. it's just about establishing a career as a professional cricketer

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think that may be a bit dramatic. I would assume much like Robson there's no thoughts about international cricket at all. it's just about establishing a career as a professional cricketer
Yeah but much like Robson, if they're good enough to play for England then they'll end up doing so.

Spikey

Yeah but much like Robson, if they're good enough to play for England then they'll end up doing so.
Particularly if they can't play state cricket here without placing at risk their county career. it's a sucky spot for Australian cricket, but what can CA actually do? give well paying 4 year contracts to every U17 and U19 player?

Spikey

i will not be watching a sportsnewsfirst video

i do love that they can't be bothered changing the title of their video while uploading the video btw

Backlash

School Boy/Girl Captain
also Cameron Steel is actually listed as a pom on cricinfo and played for the Somerset U13's, so his case might be a bit different to the other kid and Robson

The Home of CricketArchive
Cameron Steel | England Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
Hain is listed as an English player already too.

Steel has an Australian accent in that video. Was probably born and raised in Australia but went to play in England every winter too.

Cricket Australia have to do something. They could at minimum tell the ECB where to go for once.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good to hear that the ladies team have had a pay rise. The top contract is now going to be $52,000 and player payments have increased from $100 per day to $250.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Good to hear that the ladies team have had a pay rise. The top contract is now going to be $52,000 and player payments have increased from $100 per day to $250.
About bloody time, too. The pay gap is ridiculous and not just at the top tier.

I once had a batting lesson late last year from an ex-NSW women's cricketer. She was an excellent teacher, too - had a net set up with cones/brand new balls and was very well versed in technique. I left that session feeling a much more confident batsman.

She charged $40 for an hour and a half. A male batting coach wouldn't think twice about charging $70 for a session half as long and would still have a fully booked schedule.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
About bloody time, too. The pay gap is ridiculous and not just at the top tier.

I once had a batting lesson late last year from an ex-NSW women's cricketer. She was an excellent teacher, too - had a net set up with cones/brand new balls and was very well versed in technique. I left that session feeling a much more confident batsman.

She charged $40 for an hour and a half. A male batting coach wouldn't think twice about charging $70 for a session half as long and would still have a fully booked schedule.
Payments are a function of income generated by the game

If anything, Australia's women cricketers are being grossly overpaid

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Payments are a function of income generated by the game

If anything, Australia's women cricketers are being grossly overpaid
Disagree. The total revenue brought in by Cricket Australia doesn't make them beholden to who earned it. It's CA's responsibility to grow and promote the game accordingly with the money.

If they got any FTA rights on TV I can see the MCC's collective head exploding