• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia Off Season 2013 thread.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Find me SS NSW have won without many Australian players in the squad.

Having Australian contracted players has nothing to do with it. The problem occurs when there's a decent prospect who isn't performing at state level but is instructed to play by higher powers.
Just to clarify I'm referring to current regular International during that season. Not a squad that had no former or future Internationals.

This side didn't have one regular International the season.

Final: Queensland v New South Wales at Brisbane, Mar 18-20, 2005 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Greg Mail
Phil Jaques (hadn't made his Test debut)
Matt Phelps
Dom Thornely
James Packman
Brad Haddin (hadn't made his Test debut)
Grant Lambert
Matt Nicholson (former one Test wonder)
Nathan Bracken (was at the end of being dropped from ODI team for two seasons)
Staurt Clark (hadn't made his ODI or Test debut)
Stuart MacGill (played one test)

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's the point though? Do you want me to link to seasons where NSW had international players that played a few matches in the season and they won the shield?

Having Nathan Lyon and Michael Clarke playing a few games isn't going to harm NSW. Having under performing players who aren't good enough to make the team is the problem.

Spikey

I think Nathan Lyon is a bit different to the average case, given he, you know, doesn't play for the ODI team. we can be confident we'll have him for 5 or so games a season. My main worry is being 'forced' into playing two spinners when we shouldn't. but as long as sok doesn't get the C back......

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What's the point though? Do you want me to link to seasons where NSW had international players that played a few matches in the season and they won the shield?

Having Nathan Lyon and Michael Clarke playing a few games isn't going to harm NSW. Having under performing players who aren't good enough to make the team is the problem.
Having Internationals is fine if it is like for like swap and doesn't affect the balance of your side.

But with Lyon are you going to play two spinners in the matches he doesn't play. Or do you have to change the balance of the side every time he comes back.

Unless we 2-3 top batsmen it is unlikely we will play less then 5 bowlers. But having to play two spinners for the sake of it, even if the match is at the WACA is stupid. Which is where SA struggled with him and Botha. That is as bad as having to play an under performing International player.

It is the same problem when we got Watson. We recruited Watson when he was opening, when we already had 3-4 openers. I don't think we have ever won a match with Watson, as the balance got thrown out the door just accommodate a Test player for a couple games a season.

You only recruit players that add something to your squad. Lyon doesn't add anything to our side, unless O'Keefe get dropped as captain and they fight it out for the No 1 spinner spot when they both play away from the SCG.

Andre

International Regular
Yeah I don't think 'recruit' is the right word with Watson. He kind of just started living here, I don't think we particularly aspired to get him.

Not sure what the issue is here re: Lyon. O'Keefe doesn't have to play every match. He's not skipper and he's not that good. I'd rather Lyon plus 3 or 4 quicks than the 2 spinners for the sake of it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I don't think 'recruit' is the right word with Watson. He kind of just started living here, I don't think we particularly aspired to get him.

Not sure what the issue is here re: Lyon. O'Keefe doesn't have to play every match. He's not skipper and he's not that good. I'd rather Lyon plus 3 or 4 quicks than the 2 spinners for the sake of it.
Personally I would have O'Keefe as better red ball bowler then Lyon, but that is another argument. With the current policy of picking PONI ahead of other players regardless of performance. That is another issue when O'Keefe out performances Lyon, you would have to play Lyon even when he not the best spinner or drop a fast bowler on a green pitch. Not sure why you would want to recruit the 2nd best spinner in Australia, when you have the No 1.

Also it is not unrealistic if you played Lyon and 4 quicks. You would have 4 No 11s from 8-11, if Cummins and Starc are injured or playing for Australia. It is bad enough we will play 3 most games.

Oh well it looks like they are obsessed with getting NSW players back, which is good but they are looking in the wrong department. Need some batsmen, not bowlers.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if you know, but quality domestic bats are a little scarce aws :fear:
If the pitch were more even, there are few guys that are of the standard of Matt Phelps and Greg Mail that would be nice to have back in the squad. Silk, Cazzulino or even Forrest would be nice to have back. Or maybe raid WA and see if we can snag William Bosisto. Just need some contributors not necessary match winners.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Allanby given a contract,think Cazulino and Dunk are safe,Tasmania looking for a pace bowler,question whether Fekete and Van derguten are safe.

Andre

International Regular
Sounds like Christian is off to Vic - good get I reckon, could be a good environment for him. Looking like a direct swap for Ronnie.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Ricky not put pen to paper yet according to the Mercury.
Apparently keen to play on, but not wanting to sign a contract incase he changes his mind. Plus I'm sure he is going alright for money too...

Stoked for Allanby, went to school with him (was a grade below me). Hope he gets a FC game sometime this season.

adub

International Captain
Australia Cricket News: Nathan Lyon to join New South Wales | ESPN Cricinfo

Lyon to NSW and McDonald to SA confirmed.

Lyon is interesting, especially if the selectorial hard on for Fawad and/or Agar sees him lose his Test spot. The competition with SOK may very likely come down to one spot and Lyon's shield performances don't rate. He could rely on a PONI call from the national selectors to get in the side. Hard to see NSW playing two spinners too often given the pace bowling depth unless injuries decimate the squad.

adub

International Captain
Happy to see Burt ****ley get upgraded to a full contract for WA too. Hopefully the injury woes are behind him.

Top_Cat

Yeah, not too fussed losing Lyon. McDonald a big gain for SA.

Zampa looks a good fit too. Not a big turner from what I've seen but gets them through and bowls a decent wrong 'un so I think he'll do a job on AO.