• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia Off Season 2013 thread.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Really no one in grade performed well enough?

With the squad you've selected obvs Clarke, Warner, Watson, Haddin, Starc and Cummins have CA contracts so surely a few more spots are up for grabs. I think Abbott might get one.
Well there was no one that scored over 1000 runs this season. The first time in a couple season no one has reached that mark.

Also the top batsmen included Dawson and Criuckshank and great mail man, Greg Mail.

The only guy that averaged over 50 and scored 700 runs was Phillip Wells.

The leading run scorer was 29 year old, Matthew Hughston. With a career average in the mid 30s, he not FC standard.

Really apart from Wells and taking a punt on Matthew Day, there is no real batsmen in grade cricket who deserve a contract. If anything it is time to look at bring some players back from interstate (Cazzulino) or overseas (Sam Robson).

Bowling wise there is plenty of depth, even losing Zampa.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I feel like there's no reason to expect anyone but Jason Krejza being signed to replace Zampa #classicNSW

bondi beach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I have gone for quality over quantity. I have only included those who are good enough for the state team. No point offering contract to dead end no hopers.

Sam Robson has just signed a two year contract with Middlesex so I think this is one rumor that can be to bed.

If a player is going to make the step up from grade cricket then he has to score 1,000 runs. No one came even close to doing this.

Abbott, Bills, Conway, Cruickshank, Doran and Lalor did nothing last season and will never amount to anything more than grade / future league cricketers.

Finch is a good one-day batsman but would he even get in the SS team? I'm not sure he will improve the squad.

Batting wise only Haddin, Henriques and Smith performed last season.

Even without Zampa the spin department looks to be covered with O'Keefe and Smith.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
We spent last season opening with David Dawson and Scott Henry. As much as I like Dawson, he isn't a Shield player. And Henry averaged in the high 20s and didn't have his place questioned at all. Finch would open.

And Smith is a batsman who bowls a bit, hardly to be classified as a genuine spinner.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Does Finch have to open. Dan Hughes and Maddinson is an opener by trade. Finch could slot in at No 3. Though I would rather have Patterson at 3 personally. Just like Victoria prefer Hill at 3 over Finch.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I get the feeling that Maddo, as a PONI, has been asked to bat at 3/4. More likely to break into the Australian team in the middle order, IMO.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I get the feeling that Maddo, as a PONI, has been asked to bat at 3/4. More likely to break into the Australian team in the middle order, IMO.
TBH you just need average about 40 to have a chance of making the current Test team, unless your name is Chris Rogers or Mark Cosgrove.

toolie

Cricket Spectator
I have gone for quality over quantity. I have only included those who are good enough for the state team. No point offering contract to dead end no hopers.

Sam Robson has just signed a two year contract with Middlesex so I think this is one rumor that can be to bed.

If a player is going to make the step up from grade cricket then he has to score 1,000 runs. No one came even close to doing this.

Abbott, Bills, Conway, Cruickshank, Doran and Lalor did nothing last season and will never amount to anything more than grade / future league cricketers.

Finch is a good one-day batsman but would he even get in the SS team? I'm not sure he will improve the squad.

Batting wise only Haddin, Henriques and Smith performed last season.

Even without Zampa the spin department looks to be covered with O'Keefe and Smith.
Abbott, Bills, Conway, Doran and even potentially Lalor could all be competent first class cricketers and who knows from there.

It's about opportunity. Abbott has shown glimpses, Doran did well in OD and T20 cricket 2 seasons ago. Conway is very tall and can be worked with whilst Bills is incredibly athletic. You watch Josh Lalor take 65 wickets next season in the best grade competition in Australia.

Cruickshank I agree with you though although he is a consistent run scorer at grade level he is now in his 30's and not worth wasting a spot on.

toolie

Cricket Spectator
Does Finch have to open. Dan Hughes and Maddinson is an opener by trade. Finch could slot in at No 3. Though I would rather have Patterson at 3 personally. Just like Victoria prefer Hill at 3 over Finch.
Maddo thinks he can do anything. Clarke told him at the start at the year he will bat 3 and he asked him why can't I open!

toolie

Cricket Spectator
Hopefully down at 6 or 7, though if Ryan Carters gets signed up as back up keeper, he might have some more pressure especially in the OD team.
90 % sure Carters is on his way on a Rookie. Think he is planning to head to Uni in Sydney as well.

Originally from Canberra so Sydney will be closer to home.

toolie

Cricket Spectator
Yeah Conway 20 y.o Bills 21 y.o Abbott 21 y.o

Conway barely played last season though so would have been under pressure as he has never taken over 24 wickets in a grade season. Also never played a 2nd XI or Futures league game.

Last edited: