• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has a poster on CW ever made you change your mind?

Teja.

Global Moderator
I think, in most occasions, a similar but distinct thing happens for me - that is, a belief I have which is a bit left field often gets strengthened because blokes on here make more persuasive arguments in it's favour.

Excuse me for being a bit of a pretentious douchebag but I believe this is appropriate:

"They would not find me changed from him they knew—
Only more sure of all I thought was true."

Also, It's also great that opinions of ex-cricketers, who can often be idiots, are examined on merit and ripped into here. Often, in general parlance, opinions of idiots like Ian Chappell, Shane Warne, Ravi Shastri and Sunny G are accorded respect despite being ludicrous simply because of their standing in the game. It's nice to discuss cricket in a place where if Shane Warne wants, say, Maxwell to captain Australia, he will be called out and castigated as opposed to slavish respect to daft opinions of daft ****s merely because they happened to have played 130 tests.

Everything said, CW's certainly affected (and increased) my appreciation of cricket much more than my opinions about it though and I certainly wouldn't have it any other way. :happy:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I watched Test cricket, but I never really appreciated the history all that well until coming on here. I was shocked that everyone didn't think McGrath was the best player in the history of the universe, so over the years, I've been forced to elevate others as being closer to him (though clearly not at the same level or above :p).

In terms of specific posters, I really learned a lot from a lot of the English and Australian posters - pretty much every interaction I had prior to this was solely with other Indian fans (though no one as knowledgeable as SJS...). So instead of just anything specific, it's just a different way of looking at things and new perspectives...everyone from BoyBrumby to Burgey.

And shockingly, Pakistan was no longer my #1 team to beat anymore...I suppose intellectually I knew that India and Pakistan fans would have much more in common with each other than with others, but it was still a little bit weird how quickly Pakistan fell on my list of teams I'd like to see lose....to the point where now I root for them in 90% of cases where India aren't playing (if this type of interaction happened in real life between people from India and Pakistan...there would be serious talks of reunification....:D)

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've always felt you're one of the more open minded posters SS. Often happy to admit that you may be wrong or that someone else's view may have merit.

My favourite thing about you though is when you accidentally piss someone off with your viewpoint, they may come back getting personal and abusing you, and then you will just respond debating the issues/topic again. It used to crack me up how you would refuse to be offended by anything whatsoever :laugh:

You're a great man. But you should **** off from Indian tour threads forever :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I've always felt you're one of the more open minded posters SS. Often happy to admit that you may be wrong or that someone else's view may have merit.

My favourite thing about you though is when you accidentally piss someone off with your viewpoint, they may come back getting personal and abusing you, and then you will just respond debating the issues/topic again. It used to crack me up how you would refuse to be offended by anything whatsoever :laugh:

You're a great man. But you should **** off from Indian tour threads forever :ph34r:
Haha, I'm going to try my best not to post my predictions in Indian tour threads. People think I'm gambhiring but I will freely admit I get way too irrational and pessimistic about somethings, but your posts in that thread have convinced me that it has gotten to a point where my random pessimistic musings are doing more harm than good to the atmosphere of those threads, so I think it's a fair enough criticism.

/in my defense, the one time I got overly optimistic, it ended up in GF's signature....:laugh:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I came here a noob and still am, cw posts affect my opinions a lot. Way too many examples to list down.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haha, I'm going to try my best not to post my predictions in Indian tour threads. People think I'm gambhiring but I will freely admit I get way too irrational and pessimistic about somethings, but your posts in that thread have convinced me that it has gotten to a point where my random pessimistic musings are doing more harm than good to the atmosphere of those threads, so I think it's a fair enough criticism.

/in my defense, the one time I got overly optimistic, it ended up in GF's signature....:laugh:
SS.. tour threads just won't be the same without you and me predicting India to lose when they need 1 run to win with 10 wickets in hand and 10 overs to go :)

MrPrez

International Debutant
GingerFurball convinced me via many arguments with him that abortion should be legalised in Scotland.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
PEWS finally managed to convince me that Imran > Bradman as a cricketer and that Imran is the greatest cricketer ever to play the game :ph34r:
That must've been an easy job for PEWS.

Like he said Imran might be better than Bradman, and you gleefully accepted in a flash..

Last edited:

jan

State Vice-Captain
I didnt have many opinions about cricket when I joined. Instead of really changing my mind numerous posters have inspired me to explore cricket further, thanks for that .)

Im looking forward to a CW poster changing my mind about chucking.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think I have answered a similar thread before - I have been influenced to think you should pick your top 4 bowlers even if the 4th bowler is useless and you figure a bowling all rounder would be better to help the balance of the team.

That is the only thing that has changed my mind largely because I am never in debates with anyone.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol at smalishah having opinions. At best he has about 5 which he bleats on and on about endlessly. The rest is just made up of AWTAs and climaxing after reading every SJS post.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
I used to hate Indian cricket during my initial days here... But, I started appreciating cricket overall after spending some considerable time here in CW..

However, I'm not a huge fan of India cricket now, but i am not a hater these days.. I appreciate the good cricket India plays now & then. I love cricket irrespective of teams these days..