• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the best 6 batsman in Australia now?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
The current management of the Austalian cricket setup would say to a hypothetically-qualified Inzamam "**** off, you fat ****, you don't meet certain standards that one expects of elite cricketers as referred to in article 1, part 2b of our high-performance mission statement."

Think about that.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
Impressive. I thought Cosgrove was closer to Boof levels of fat. That's a seriously big man. How many calories does he have to consume to maintain a physique like that? He surely must burn a few running up and down the cut strip.
he doesn't. he waddles. there is no chance of turning a 1 into a 2 with cossie.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cosgrove has become overrated here, he's not as good as people are making him out to be and generally speaking I am a fan of him and have advocated for his selection in the past.

Have no problem with people saying he's in the top six pure bats, because an argument definitely can be made for it and I'd probably support that argument, but it's not so clean cut that having him in the side would make up for the drop in standards that would inevitably come from having someone like him around the squad.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Cosgrove has become overrated here, he's not as good as people are making him out to be and generally speaking I am a fan of him and have advocated for his selection in the past.

Have no problem with people saying he's in the top six pure bats, because an argument definitely can be made for it and I'd probably support that argument, but it's not so clean cut that having him in the side would make up for the drop in standards that would inevitably come from having someone like him around the squad.
Is Cosgrove a douche? I've heard mixed reports. Sometimes guys like Cosgrove (fat, lazy but talented) can be gold around a club environment. Don't take themselves too seriously, bit of banter about KFC etc.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Cosgrove a douche? I've heard mixed reports. Sometimes guys like Cosgrove (fat, lazy but talented) can be gold around a club environment. Don't take themselves too seriously, bit of banter about KFC etc.
Yeah heard he's a douche, but have never had personal dealings with him so wouldn't know. Has a fair ego on him and has sledged every player to ever play domestic cricket is what I've heard.

But it's just the training aspect of things. He'd drag it down a lot outside of a nets situation. I think for the overall team he wouldn't be that great of an overall positive when you take in to consideration his whole package.

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Everyone's a greater-than-normal douche at elite levels of sport. Ever since early puberty you get your tires pumped up relentlessly by parents, coaches and eventually sponsors and fans about how you're the next great hope of Australian cricket. You get time off school to go on youth development tours with other like-minded adolescents in the throes of puberty and social hierarchies, all desperate to be the alpha male of the side. Then you get the autograph seekers, the media intrusion, chix throwing themselves at you in nightclubs, and the sense of entitlement that comes with fame. Eventually you lose your **** at someone and they paste it all over some Internet forum about your affiliation with a neo-Nazi chapter and how you coincidentally flipped their kid off when he asked you to sign his bat.

Some of it comes from bitterness, some from upbringing, some from celebrity. But show me an exceptional cricketer who hasn't been indicted as an arsehole in some point in time.

adub

International Captain
Don't disagree with you Benchy, which is why I've plumped for Cossie as my no.6 best on a coin toss more than anything, and have said I wouldn't actually have him in my Ashes starting XI (Smith having done enough probably to earn retention).

But I'm not sure he'd be that much of a drag on the side. After homeworkgate it would be obvious that Cossie would need to lift his game on the training paddock, rather than everyone else easing up for the fat ****. So long as he was improving his fitness and putting in that should be all that would be required. If he did want to carry on like a ****tard then he'd be on your bike.

Whilst he's no Inzy, the point is still valid. Runs matter more than anything. If you've got two equally heavy scorers going for one spot then the lazy one misses out for sure, but I don't think we're in that place right now. If Burns had done better this summer or Doolan had done better last summer we wouldn't be talking about Cosgrove, but as it is there just aren't really other options imho. Uzi maybe, but he has been pretty unimpressive the last two years, or Watson who's done sfa against a red ball since the last Ashes.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I don't think picking Cosgrove would be a good move at the moment.

Firstly he's more than just a standard 'douche', he's known since about 2006 that basically all he has to do to play international cricket is attain a decent level of fitness, something which you'd imagine would be remarkably easy for a pro athlete with access to fitness support staff and ample time. The fact he's never been able to do it suggests there are some really fundamental problems with his mindset/desire or that he's just a lazy moron. I don't think having that sort of guy around the squad is going to do us any favours, especially when he's only a marginally better batsman than the alternatives.

Riggins

International Captain
yea exactly. major point isn't that he's big, it's that he's completely unwilling to put in any work to improve it.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Can he keep? #betterthanwade?

Would have to be better standing up and blocking at least.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Guessing it was Usi that failed the skin fold tests on tour so there's no way they could pick someone who would not pass the baseline. Is he a liability in the field for 5 days? If he can't or won't run quick singles then that affects the others bats that normally run them. He looks like a 1/4/6 batsman which will piss of those who aren't.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would say he's got a good pair of hands really and the fact that he can bowl a few overs of medium pace allows us to pick 5 other batsman and a keeper so for balance reasons he is a good pick despite not being nimble in the field.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I would say he's got a good pair of hands really and the fact that he can bowl a few overs of medium pace allows us to pick 5 other batsman and a keeper so for balance reasons he is a good pick despite not being nimble in the field.
He was certainly faster than medium pace last time I saw him bowl.

Admittedly this was 2, maybe 3 years ago in a televised OD game for whatever county he was playing for at the time (Glamorgan?)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Phil Jaques

• Not even eligible to play for Australia anymore

One of Australia's best six batsmen though, everybody.
Is this technically true? Surely Australia could pick him and it would be Yorks he was ineligible for? Or am I missing something?

(obviously it's immaterial anyway but)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cricket's got some weird rules though. I think to qualify to play for Yorks he basically has to renounce his Australianess (in cricketing terms anyway.)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ryan Harris did a similar thing though, and just had to quis Sussex instead in the end (I think it was Sussex). I dunno.