Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are the best 6 batsman in Australia now?

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Wade presumably as a batsman goes maybe? ^
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Siddle
    starc
    pattinson
    harris
    copeland
    lyon
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I don't see the point of picking the best six batsmen in this fashion, it's as useful as saying pick your best bowlers, not pick your best attack. So I will list the top seven which I think would make the most runs for the team:

Warner
    Watson
    Hughes
    Doolan
    Clarke
    Smith
    Haddin

I am 100% convinced on five of that seven, and I am not cemented on Doolander or Smith (particularly Smith).
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Clarke
    Hughes
    Warner
    Khawaja
    Haddin
    Watson

Hughes is our 2nd best bat from what I have seen. He is a natural talent with great ball striking and shot making ability. His technique and temperament puts him in front of Warner who relies purely on his hand eye coordination. Khawaja has talent and I dont get where the hate comes from. He may not get a game is the Aussie sides of Taylor, Waugh and early Ponting but times change and the cupboards looking pretty ****ing bare.

I like Haddin as a keeper over Wade so I didnt really want to pick him as a top 6 bat but when his mind is in the right place the guy can seriously bat. Watson scrapes in at 6 because I'm just not familiar with guys like Cosgrove so I'm not sure how he would go and what his fitness is really like despite his runs and average looking very good compared to his peers.

Wouldn't take much to talk me out of Watson though. Even though I listed him I dont know how you fit him in a top 6 without opening him cause he's looked poor everywhere else. Which then forces me to move Hughes to 3 which I dont like. He's our 2nd best bat and an opener by trade so he should be opening.

Hey Nufan Benchy thinks you suck.

D Aylight is #2 IMO.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

1.Clarke
    2.Cosgrove/Rogers
    3.Hughes
    4.Khawaja
    5.Bailey
    6.Warner

Clarke obviously is the undisputed #1, my pick as the #2 batsman in Australia atm is Cosgrove, because of the stupid selectors he might never play for Australia but he is gun player, for me he's probably one of the best players of spin too, in a ideal world he would be playing for Australia but that isn't the case and in such a scenario if he is not a valid option then Rogers would be my pick, he is surely nowhere near as gifted a player as Cossie, but he is gritty batsman who just finds a way to score runs in most situations which would be invaluable for Australia.

Hughes atm is #3, he has got a few loose ends in his game but he has the talent to overcome those obstacles and moving forward he would be big player for Australia. As for Khawaja, was reluctant to name him in this list but then again he's an amazing talent and AFAIC, him fixing his attitude is pretty much the only thing standing between him and a permanent place in the Australian side.

My 5th pick is Bailey, his shield form hasn't been great this season but he is player of great class, his biggest strength for me is his ability to score runs in tough situations, he is no Mr.Cricket but he for me has the ability to play the role of the 'crisis man' in the current Australian side which was something Mike Hussey did so well over the years.

Anyways... 12 months ago Warner would probably have been 3rd on my list, unfortunately his temperament has been seriously exposed since then, he probably thinks he has already made it big and he probably takes his place for granted and if he doesn't snap out of this, then he would fall way behind in the pecking order.

Honorable mentions: Wade, Dave Hussey, Voges and Burns.

Only time will tell how long Arthur and Clarke hold grudges but i suspect Usman could have stamped his own card permanently with homework'gate. Probably the only one who will be treated that way, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    2.Cosgrove/Rogers
    3.Hughes
    RANKINGS DO NOT WORK LIKE THIS

If you've got two ****s equal second then there's no third ffs.

It'd be like me saying I was the second best batsman in Australia because I couldn't split the top 40,000 so they're all equal first.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 26-03-2013 at 12:59 AM.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    RANKINGS DO NOT WORK LIKE THIS

If you're got two ****s equal second then there's no third ffs.

It'd be like me saying I was the second best batsman in Australia because I couldn't split the top 40,000 so they're all equal first.
    You'd be no good in England though.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    to be fair he might be saying that it's either cossie or rogers, and whichever one it isn't doesn't deserve a spot in the top 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    to be fair he might be saying that it's either cossie or rogers, and whichever one it isn't doesn't deserve a spot in the top 6.
    Yeah but the process wasn't "name your ideal top 6", it was "name the best six batsmen in Australia", and given he put Clarke at #1 he clearly wasn't just ignoring instructions and naming a batting lineup like Murphy did.

You can't say "Cosgrove is the second best batsman in Australia but if he drops dead then Rogers jumps from ninth to second" .. makes no sense. You can say you see Cosgrove and Rogers competing for the same spot but that's a different thing altogether.

Rogers
    Cowan
    Khawaja
    Clarke
    Joe Burns
    Hughes (Only in Eng/Aus/SA/NZ, Steve Smith for the sub-continent/WI)

Just for ****s and giggles the rest of the order:

Wade (sub-continent makes for some impossible keeping - wait till England before dropping him)
    Siddle
    Patto
    Starc
    Fawad Ahmed (Ashton Agar until Ahmed qualifies)

I reckon below are the best 4 batsmen available for Australian selection(in order of how I view them).

Clarke
    Hughes
    Rogers
    Warner

After these 4 I struggle to find the rest of my lineup with there being little to separate Cowan, Dussey, Cosgrove, Voges, Watson, Burns, Khawaja, Smith, Doolan and Bailey when considering career performances and recent form.

As such all up my team would probably be the below although 4 and 6 definitely change based on my mood.

Watson
    Rogers
    Hughes
    Voges
    Clarke
    Watson (if bowling) or Smith (based on recent performance)
    Wade
    Pattinson
    Harris
    Bird
    Lyon

Reserve Batsmen: Cosgrove or Cowan.

Reserve Keeper/Batsmen: Haddin

Reserve Bowlers: Siddle, Starc and O'Keefe.

I don't consider Burns to be too far from national honors. Currently has 5 centuries(the same as Smith and Doolan) while having played far fewer matches. I see him as the medium to long term number 4 for Australia if he kicks on.

Rogers takes Cowan's spot due to his experience, career performances and current form. Voges takes number 4 since he bats there in the Shield, has experience in England and also provides a SLA spin option. Watson or Smith take up 6. Watson gets it if he bowls otherwise Smith gets it due to doing well in India.

The bowling attack features 3 pace bowlers(when fit) who can keep things quiet while still destroying lineups. All are more than capable with the new ball so Pattinson and Harris would probably take the new ball and start with shorter spells. Lyon keeps the spinners job but if he truly struggles(2-3 bad games) O'Keefe gets a shot.

All in all the team balances experience and youth. By the time Rogers and Voges retire or get dropped hopefully at least 2 of Hughes, Warner or Smith are settled in the team. Then Burns and the next batch can stake their claim in a slightly more settled lineup.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Whats the issue with Khawaja? I mean even CW members tend to write him off. What exactly happened?
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information