• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the best 6 batsman in Australia now?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Kind of fitting that the quality of posts so far in this thread is similar to the quality of Australia's current top order.

adub

International Captain
Kind of fitting that the quality of posts so far in this thread is similar to the quality of Australia's current top order.
Maybe better to nominate 6 bats and order 1-6 on who gets the most votes?

Mine would be:
Clarke (no one is going to argue this surely?)
Rogers (of the available guys is so far and away the most consistent fc run scorer)
Warner (can destroy an opposition, but needs to learn to make more ugly runs when conditions don't suit)
Hughes (the fact that he dominated the Shield when he went back shows both that he should be perservered with and that no one else in the Shield is challenging for his spot)

Cowan (which says much more about what we have to choose from than his ability, solid but extremely limited)

take your pick for 6 from a big bag of ordinary. At a pinch I'd go Cosgrove but wouldn't fight anyone over it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah your fault for trying to hog the glory and make this thread stretch out for days and days by nominating 2 and then 3 and then 4 etc.

Ask everyone who their best 6 bats is straight up, people name 6, life goes on.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hog the glory lol.

But yeah the views of adub and Jono has made me change my mind.

So everyone, your best 6 bats? List in best order not batting order - adub is the only vote I've counted so far.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't see the point of picking the best six batsmen in this fashion, it's as useful as saying pick your best bowlers, not pick your best attack. So I will list the top seven which I think would make the most runs for the team:

Warner
Watson
Hughes
Doolan
Clarke
Smith
Haddin

I am 100% convinced on five of that seven, and I am not cemented on Doolander or Smith (particularly Smith).

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Clarke
Hughes
Warner
Khawaja
Haddin
Watson

Hughes is our 2nd best bat from what I have seen. He is a natural talent with great ball striking and shot making ability. His technique and temperament puts him in front of Warner who relies purely on his hand eye coordination. Khawaja has talent and I dont get where the hate comes from. He may not get a game is the Aussie sides of Taylor, Waugh and early Ponting but times change and the cupboards looking pretty ****ing bare.

I like Haddin as a keeper over Wade so I didnt really want to pick him as a top 6 bat but when his mind is in the right place the guy can seriously bat. Watson scrapes in at 6 because I'm just not familiar with guys like Cosgrove so I'm not sure how he would go and what his fitness is really like despite his runs and average looking very good compared to his peers.

Wouldn't take much to talk me out of Watson though. Even though I listed him I dont know how you fit him in a top 6 without opening him cause he's looked poor everywhere else. Which then forces me to move Hughes to 3 which I dont like. He's our 2nd best bat and an opener by trade so he should be opening.

pup11

International Coach
1.Clarke
2.Cosgrove/Rogers
3.Hughes
4.Khawaja
5.Bailey
6.Warner

Clarke obviously is the undisputed #1, my pick as the #2 batsman in Australia atm is Cosgrove, because of the stupid selectors he might never play for Australia but he is gun player, for me he's probably one of the best players of spin too, in a ideal world he would be playing for Australia but that isn't the case and in such a scenario if he is not a valid option then Rogers would be my pick, he is surely nowhere near as gifted a player as Cossie, but he is gritty batsman who just finds a way to score runs in most situations which would be invaluable for Australia.

Hughes atm is #3, he has got a few loose ends in his game but he has the talent to overcome those obstacles and moving forward he would be big player for Australia. As for Khawaja, was reluctant to name him in this list but then again he's an amazing talent and AFAIC, him fixing his attitude is pretty much the only thing standing between him and a permanent place in the Australian side.

My 5th pick is Bailey, his shield form hasn't been great this season but he is player of great class, his biggest strength for me is his ability to score runs in tough situations, he is no Mr.Cricket but he for me has the ability to play the role of the 'crisis man' in the current Australian side which was something Mike Hussey did so well over the years.

Anyways... 12 months ago Warner would probably have been 3rd on my list, unfortunately his temperament has been seriously exposed since then, he probably thinks he has already made it big and he probably takes his place for granted and if he doesn't snap out of this, then he would fall way behind in the pecking order.

Honorable mentions: Wade, Dave Hussey, Voges and Burns.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Only time will tell how long Arthur and Clarke hold grudges but i suspect Usman could have stamped his own card permanently with homework'gate. Probably the only one who will be treated that way, but there you go.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
2.Cosgrove/Rogers
3.Hughes
RANKINGS DO NOT WORK LIKE THIS

If you've got two ****s equal second then there's no third ffs.

It'd be like me saying I was the second best batsman in Australia because I couldn't split the top 40,000 so they're all equal first.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
RANKINGS DO NOT WORK LIKE THIS

If you're got two ****s equal second then there's no third ffs.

It'd be like me saying I was the second best batsman in Australia because I couldn't split the top 40,000 so they're all equal first.
You'd be no good in England though.